The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 381 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

The point is you can win without it.
And to be honest, I'll trust the recruiting strategy of Dino Babers over cusedad2x, but maybe thats just me.

NJ is fertile territory for football talent in comparison to many of the other surrounding states. Missed opportunity if we don't do better there.

The point is you can win without it.
And to be honest, I'll trust the recruiting strategy of Dino Babers over cusedad2x, but maybe thats just me.
You can win without it (NJ)...We all hope for the same results...winning. I guess we'll just have to see the results of our recruiting efforts...regardless of where the kids come from.

NJ is fertile territory for football talent in comparison to many of the other surrounding states. Missed opportunity if we don't do better there.

Or we just get guys from Florida? Or North Carolina? or any of the other 50 states.

You guys need to get over where a kid plays HS ball.

And btw, NJ is completely over-mined at this point by B1G schools and the football factories.

Or we just get guys from Florida? Or North Carolina? or any of the other 50 states.

And btw, NJ is completely over-mined at this point by B1G schools and the football factories.

One would think we'd have better opportunities to recruit players out of NJ than Fla or NC, ugh maybe cuz we're 1000 miles closer. Not like Florida isn't thoroughly combed over by numerous powerhouses either. You need to get over the idea that we shouldn't focus more on NJ than we currently do. That's just common sense.

One would think we'd have better opportunities to recruit players out of NJ than Fla or NC, ugh maybe cuz we're 1000 miles closer. Not like Florida isn't thoroughly combed over by numerous powerhouses either. You need to get over the idea that we shouldn't focus more on NJ than we currently do. That's just common sense.

For the record, I live in NJ and very much like NJ. But your obsession with getting kids specifically from said state is strange. Why do we not have this conversation about Pennsylvania by the way? We'll agree to disagree but I don't sit there and obsess about where recruit X goes to HS.
Do you care that Eric Dungey was from Oregon? We just need to go and get good football players where we think we can. I'll leave those decisions to the guys paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so, not to us message board fanatics.

Syracuse has never had a period of sustained winning without a solid amount of northeast recruits. NJ being a big part of the cohort. NJ has historically been important to Syracuse and always will be, IMO.

I wouldn't bet on this NJ doesn't matter paradigm. Unfortunately, Rutgers will challange Syracuse on the recruiting trail in the NE. Throw in Pitt and BC not being train wrecks, it's going to be tough sledding. Recruiting kids in and to the northeast is a bit of a zero sum game.

Last edited:

And Schiano had a lot of success recruiting in Florida. Nobody who knows anything cares whether we get a lot of kids from NJ or not. It's not NJ that Schiano is going to be a pain in the butt, he's going to recruit many of the same kids we do from every other state not named NJ. If you've followed recruiting for 10 or more years, this is pretty simple stuff. Who cares how long he's been out of the game, he's an idiot that kids/parents like for some reason.

And Schiano had a lot of success recruiting in Florida. Nobody who knows anything cares whether we get a lot of kids from NJ or not. It's not NJ that Schiano is going to be a pain in the butt, he's going to recruit many of the same kids we do from every other state not named NJ. If you've followed recruiting for 10 or more years, this is pretty simple stuff. Who cares how long he's been out of the game, he's an idiot that kids/parents like for some reason.

I've followed recruiting since the advent of the internet and the early recruiting services, so your lecture wasnt needed. But thanks.

Sounds like you've decided to worry about a snake oil salesman, .500 coach who is not even in our conference. I'll choose not to.

If anything, the Hafley hire today has me much more concerned considering that, you know, they play in our conference.

I've followed recruiting since the advent of the internet and the early recruiting services, so your lecture wasnt needed. But thanks.

Sounds like you've decided to worry about a snake oil salesman, .500 coach who is not even in our conference. I'll choose not to.

If anything, the Hafley hire today has me much more concerned considering that, you know, they play in our conference.

I'd reply to your points but I don't think you'd get anything I'm saying again, so I won't waste my time. Nothing you said actually pertains to any of my points. You argued with me by arguing about things that had zero to do with what I said. Very curious, sort of.

For the record, I live in NJ and very much like NJ. But your obsession with getting kids specifically from said state is strange. Why do we not have this conversation about Pennsylvania by the way? We'll agree to disagree but I don't sit there and obsess about where recruit X goes to HS.
Do you care that Eric Dungey was from Oregon? We just need to go and get good football players where we think we can. I'll leave those decisions to the guys paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so, not to us message board fanatics.

Obsessed with recruits from NJ? Nice twist, pal.

Yeah cuz Hafley has a long history of recruiting talent in SU's backyard. lol

Either youre ill-informed (most likely) or you're trolling.
Hes one of the best recruiters in the country and has big ties to NJ.

I thought NJ didn’t matter. Lol

he actually does

For the last decade he's coached in the professional ranks other than the past year at OSU. Certainly nowhere near the connections that Schiano has.

Either youre ill-informed (most likely) or you're trolling.
Hes one of the best recruiters in the country and has big ties to NJ.

Prone to overstatement much? During the last decade he spent one year at RU in 2011 then spent the next seven years in the NFL - not sure he did much recruiting there - and then the last year at OSU. Who's ill-informed?

For the last decade he's coached in the professional ranks other than the past year at OSU. Certainly nowhere near the connections that Schiano has.

Not true. Hafley Is from New Jersey. He crushed it at Pitt in NJ, so Schiano hired him away and he crushed it at Rutgers in his time there. Both years were Rutgers highest recruit rankings ever 32 & 24. Hafley had a big hand in that. Now he has 10 years of NFL experience and Ohio State clout to throw around.

I’m way more concerned about Hafley because we play in the same conference.

Prone to overstatement much? During the last decade he spent one year at RU in 2011 then spent the next seven years in the NFL - not sure he did much recruiting there - and then the last year at OSU. Who's ill-informed?

He recruited there two years, Rutgers best recruiting years ever, before going to Tampa with schady. And he is widely known as one of the best recruiters in the northeast if not the nation. You’re clearly just reading his wiki page.

Not true. Hafley Is from New Jersey. He crushed it at Pitt in NJ, so Schiano hired him away and he crushed it at Rutgers in his time there. Both years were Rutgers highest recruit rankings ever 32 & 24. Hafley yadda a big hand in that. Now has 10 years of NFL experience and Ohio State clout to throw around.

Wait until the first time the B.C. admissions says no to one of his recruits. B.C. admissions isn't Ohio St or Rutgers or Pitt. It isn't Syracuse either.

I maintain our dip in recruiting/winning had way more to do with Greg Robinson and a couple of AD’s who didn’t invest in the program than it did Shady.

We have a better coach now, are less dependent on NJ recruiting thanks to the ACC’s footprint and our Canadian pipeline, and our AD appears to be pretty good.. oh, and the Dome is going to be reinvigorated.

Everytime I hear we should be worried, I think back to being told that Ash was going to kill it in recruiting

Not true. Hafley Is from New Jersey. He crushed it at Pitt in NJ, so Schiano hired him away and he crushed it at Rutgers in his time there. Both years were Rutgers highest recruit rankings ever 32 & 24. Hafley had a big hand in that. Now he has 10 years of NFL experience and Ohio State clout to throw around.

very true about hafley.

Wait until the first time the B.C. admissions says no to one of his recruits. B.C. admissions isn't Ohio St or Rutgers or Pitt. It isn't Syracuse either.
true but it is not penn havard yale or princeton either. however, that will be interesting if we are able to see what happens . bc is an excellent school.

Syracuse has never had a period of sustained winning without a solid amount of northeast recruits. NJ being a big part of the cohort. NJ has historically been important to Syracuse and always will be, IMO.

I wouldn't bet on this NJ doesn't matter paradigm. Unfortunately, Rutgers will challange Syracuse on the recruiting trail in the NE. Throw in Pitt and BC not being train wrecks, it's going to be tough sledding. Recruiting kids in and to the northeast is a bit of a zero sum game.

Why? Recruiting used to be a regional thing. Now it is national. This isn't the 1980s. We play how many games within 250 miles of a NJ recruit?