The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 497 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Gotta disagree here … Rutgers had their backups in the game and the Howard coach called two timeouts in the final minute to extend the game. The game would have been over if Howard didn’t call the TO’s. Rutgers handed the ball off to a backup RB from 11 yards out and he scored. Don’t call TO’s if you want the game over. It’s not like Rutgers threw a 40 pass on the final play t run up the score. Don’t like Rutgers or GS at all but Howard did that to themselves.
We don't often disagree and I see your perspective, but I personally don't think an obviously overmatched team trying to make something good happen in the last minute justifies Greg running it up. I've seen other coaches handle that differently.

Schiano gunna Schiano

It is his nature

He probably feels he has a chance in the B1G. Needs some cheap scores to help his metrics.

This.

It's about perception.

People will forget the last play but in a month or two they see 44-7 v 37-7.

He is about the optics.
And the point spread. Schiano is a degenerate gambler!! Seriously though, you are dead on

Gotta disagree here … Rutgers had their backups in the game and the Howard coach called two timeouts in the final minute to extend the game. The game would have been over if Howard didn’t call the TO’s. Rutgers handed the ball off to a backup RB from 11 yards out and he scored. Don’t call TO’s if you want the game over. It’s not like Rutgers threw a 40 pass on the final play t run up the score. Don’t like Rutgers or GS at all but Howard did that to themselves.
The final drive was hand offs mostly to the inside,as was the scoring play, by the third string running back, taking the handoff from the second string qb

That said, RU struggled a lot in the first half both offensively and defensively

Better depth and maybe working some kinks out in the second half, I think they scored in five straight possessions

Nothing to brag about for sure, and stopping inside qb draws, delayed handoffs, an apparent weakness on defense

Hard not to laugh at the hypocrisy of coaches, fans, media etc... talking about the value of extra practices, "reps", etc... in December and April, and then when you have a chance to give some of those players real, legitimate reps, they are not supposed to use them.

In my opinion, unless both teams officially agree to terminate the game, everyone should assume they are going 100%.

If a team is so overmatched, then they shouldn't be accepting the game.

Hard not to laugh at the hypocrisy of coaches, fans, media etc... talking about the value of extra practices, "reps", etc... in December and April, and then when you have a chance to give some of those players real, legitimate reps, they are not supposed to use them.

In my opinion, unless both teams officially agree to terminate the game, everyone should assume they are going 100%.

While I agree with the sentiment, you sound a bit like Schiano and his philosophy regarding victory formation.

Unless you are writing a phat check to help fund Howard’s athletic department, which is the only reason they and the rest of the FCS plays games like this, then don’t say they shouldn’t accept the game. And Schiano is a tweaked out a-hole who pulls this kind of crap all the time, NFL or college

Schiano gunna Schiano

It is his nature

He probably feels he has a chance in the B1G. Needs some cheap scores to help his metrics.
He is the quintessential meathead

Unless you are writing a phat check to help fund Howard’s athletic department, which is the only reason they and the rest of the FCS plays games like this, then don’t say they shouldn’t accept the game. And Schiano is a tweaked out a-hole who pulls this kind of crap all the time, NFL or college

I don't think that any FBS teams should be playing any FCS teams. Period.

The final drive was hand offs mostly to the inside,as was the scoring play, by the third string running back, taking the handoff from the second string qb

That said, RU struggled a lot in the first half both offensively and defensively

Better depth and maybe working some kinks out in the second half, I think they scored in five straight possessions

Nothing to brag about for sure, and stopping inside qb draws, delayed handoffs, an apparent weakness on defense
The VT-RU game will tell a lot more about how good both teams are, and give us a better idea how the ACC and B1G stack up in 2024.

Nice win by UNC at Minnesota in round one.

Or, the player could have done what Garrett Shrader did at Purdue. SU ran a play, Shrader was running free and took a knee instead of scoring a meaningless TD.

The VT-RU game will tell a lot more about how good both teams are, and give us a better idea how the ACC and B1G stack up in 2024.

Nice win by UNC at Minnesota in round one.
All but one big ten team seemed to struggle first game
I think VT goes into the RU game as a 4-7 point favorite, of course that can be altered as we get nearer
Good luck on the Cuse opener

I don't think that any FBS teams should be playing any FCS teams. Period.
A-freaking-men. The first step to cutting it off would be to limit how many times you can use a win over an FCS team toward bowl eligiblity, say 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 years. Let the FCS pay for their own athletics. UVa and VPI know they have to play the VA FCS teams or the legislature will get involved.

Or, the player could have done what Garrett Shrader did at Purdue. SU ran a play, Shrader was running free and took a knee instead of scoring a meaningless TD.
Definitely. But, from 11 yards, go to victory formation and win with dignity. Schiano is straight up classless trash. He makes Rutgers easy to root against. Part of the reason I love pretty much every one of our coaches past and present, especially Fran, they respect the game and are good men that turn young men in to leaders.

Definitely. But, from 11 yards, go to victory formation and win with dignity. Schiano is straight up classless trash. He makes Rutgers easy to root against. Part of the reason I love pretty much every one of our coaches past and present, especially Fran, they respect the game and are good men that turn young men in to leaders.
He really is. I’m so tired of his meathead excuses for acting like an ass.

Last edited: