The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

travel expenses will kill that budget for olympic programs travel thru different time zones...HEHEHA

If they're getting 10M now and still need 19M subsidy, there is absolutely no way they get rid of the subsidy even when they get the full 25M share.

If they're getting 10M now and still need 19M subsidy, there is absolutely no way they get rid of the subsidy even when they get the full 25M share.
Must be they use the Jersey Accounting methods. Any other method would show their loss.

you realize that RU is only getting about 40%, maybe less, than the long time big 10 teams...some are projecting the next tv revenue package to
be well over 30 million per team, once that kicks in, the deficit should be way less, if any

very few teams run a profit for their football program, I would doubt that the cuse has positive cash flow

also, I believe, but 100% sure, that a lot of the shortfall is payments on the stadium expansion...someday, when paid off, just like a home mortgage, the picture will be better for RU.

you realize that RU is only getting about 40%, maybe less, than the long time big 10 teams...some are projecting the next tv revenue package to
be well over 30 million per team, once that kicks in, the deficit should be way less, if any

very few teams run a profit for their football program, I would doubt that the cuse has positive cash flow

also, I believe, but 100% sure, that a lot of the shortfall is payments on the stadium expansion...someday, when paid off, just like a home mortgage, the picture will be better for RU.

You can doubt all you want. I don't have time to look all day however I did find numbers from 2011. The football team made a profit of 3.8 million dollars(this was before we joined the ACC) and the BB team made a profit of over 10 million for a combined profit of almost 15 million. THIS WAS BEFORE WE JOINED THE ACC!!!!!

I also found these numbers, I don't know what year they are posted for so assuming last year:
According to our research engine:
The Syracuse University Football team in Syracuse, New York made the following profit:
Men's Team Expenses: $22,663,307
Men's Team Revenue: $33,213,622
Men's Team Profit: $10,550,315

I assume those are the numbers from last year but can't be positive. Regardless, our program makes money, yours is bleeding it like stuck pig.

You can doubt all you want. I don't have time to look all day however I did find numbers from 2011. The football team made a profit of 3.8 million dollars(this was before we joined the ACC) and the BB team made a profit of over 10 million for a combined profit of almost 15 million. THIS WAS BEFORE WE JOINED THE ACC!!!!!

I also found these numbers, I don't know what year they are posted for so assuming last year:
According to our research engine:
The Syracuse University Football team in Syracuse, New York made the following profit:
Men's Team Expenses: $22,663,307
Men's Team Revenue: $33,213,622
Men's Team Profit: $10,550,315

I assume those are the numbers from last year but can't be positive. Regardless, our program makes money, yours is bleeding it like stuck pig.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://businessofcollegesports.com/...ketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

and here are the RU figures, probably from the same year, for basketball and football, and probably from that same report:

$3,544,745$3,158,178$386,567
126Rutgers University (Basketball)$4,634,026$4,495,147$138,879
127UCONN (Football)$14,400,371$14,400,371$0
128Vanderbilt Univ. (Football)$14,152,061$14,152,061$0
129Boston College (Basketball)$8,026,369$8,026,369$0
130DePaul (Basketball)$6,528,661$6,528,661$0
131Seton Hall (Basketball)$6,215,923$6,215,923$0
132St. John’s (Basketball)$6,741,298$6,741,298$0
133Rutgers University (Football)$19,494,261$19,494,263($2)

134Notre Dame (Basketball)

this shows a small $138,879 profit
for bb and football losing $2 dollars

wheezer73 said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://businessofcollegesports.com/...ketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/ and here are the RU figures, probably from the same year, for basketball and football, and probably from that same report: $3,544,745$3,158,178$386,567 126Rutgers University (Basketball)$4,634,026$4,495,147$138,879 127UCONN (Football)$14,400,371$14,400,371$0 128Vanderbilt Univ. (Football)$14,152,061$14,152,061$0 129Boston College (Basketball)$8,026,369$8,026,369$0 130DePaul (Basketball)$6,528,661$6,528,661$0 131Seton Hall (Basketball)$6,215,923$6,215,923$0 132St. John’s (Basketball)$6,741,298$6,741,298$0 133Rutgers University (Football)$19,494,261$19,494,263($2) 134Notre Dame (Basketball) this shows a small $138,879 profit for bb and football losing $2 dollars

Rutgers usually is a net zero because the state and student funds are dropped in to make up for their huge shortfalls, then they release those numbers.

I heard it from a very good source on the hill three years ago that the basketball revenue was paying for our non-revenue sports. That's how good basketball was alone. They were looking forward to the ACC football money so that football would actually be a large $$$ contributor like hoops already was at the time.

I would have to imagine that SU is doing very well now with the influx of ACC $$$, or at least will be in the very near future. All programs have bills to pay off. No doubt we are in MUCH BETTER shape than RU and UMD are now, or will be over the next ten years.

Rutgers usually is a net zero because the state and student funds are dropped in to make up for their huge shortfalls, then they release those numbers.
--------------------------------

I do not doubt that all schools play with the numbers...there is no reason for RU to have a huge deficit as compared to other universities...we play
in front of a stadium with 90% of the seats filled, charge a lot for tickets and parking, and we are not traveling to Hawaii every week, running up costs,etc.....I think the way they calculate it is not what a lot of other
universities do...

also, our local papers always try to put us in the worst possible light, and if they can factor in something to make it look bad...they will.

wheezer73 said:
-------------------------------- I do not doubt that all schools play with the numbers...there is no reason for RU to have a huge deficit as compared to other universities...we play in front of a stadium with 90% of the seats filled, charge a lot for tickets and parking, and we are not traveling to Hawaii every week, running up costs,etc.....I think the way they calculate it is not what a lot of other universities do... also, our local papers always try to put us in the worst possible light, and if they can factor in something to make it look bad...they will.

Well there's been articles about the significant shortfalls and how much the state had to give rutgers to get them to break even. You can go find them.

I do not doubt that all schools play with the numbers...there is no reason for RU to have a huge deficit as compared to other universities...we play
in front of a stadium with 90% of the seats filled, charge a lot for tickets and parking, and we are not traveling to Hawaii every week, running up costs,etc...I think the way they calculate it is not what a lot of other
universities do...

also, our local papers always try to put us in the worst possible light, and if they can factor in something to make it look bad...they will.

LOL you don't need the papers help to look bad ... you just don't.

The hilarious thing is that the guy that spent years trying to put you in the worst possible light, Tom Luicci, is now a spokesman for the athletic department.

in front of a stadium with 90% of the seats filled, charge a lot for tickets and parking, and we are not traveling to Hawaii every week, running up costs,etc...I think the way they calculate it is not what a lot of other
universities do...

Read this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-university-athletics-subsidy-jumps/5761371/
No local bias for you to worry about.

See: http://www.muckgers.com/2014/03/athletics-budget/
Now focus on this:
" Greg Brown, head of the athletics committee operating under the Board of Governors, told the Board the school could make $200 million over the next 12 years by joining the prestigious conference. According to NJ.com, Rutgers has the lowest endowment of all schools in the Big Ten."

Let's analyze: Rutgers COULD make $200MM over 12 years. That is a $16.67MM/year average. Now, we will be generous and use the deficit from the year before last at $28MM (last year's deficit was $47MM!). $28MM - $16.67MM = -$11.33MM annual shortfall. And that is on a "COULD" make $200MM over the next 12 years!

Rutgers is in deep debt and will be adding nearly $135MM over 12 years. When does the hemorrhaging stop? Will the debt be paid? Let's not forget you just gave a mediocre at best Flood a raise/extension and thus are stuck with him for four years and cannot afford another buyout.

Read this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-university-athletics-subsidy-jumps/5761371/
No local bias for you to worry about.

See: http://www.muckgers.com/2014/03/athletics-budget/
Now focus on this:
" Greg Brown, head of the athletics committee operating under the Board of Governors, told the Board the school could make $200 million over the next 12 years by joining the prestigious conference. According to NJ.com, Rutgers has the lowest endowment of all schools in the Big Ten."

Let's analyze: Rutgers COULD make $200MM over 12 years. That is a $16.67MM/year average. Now, we will be generous and use the deficit from the year before last at $28MM (last year's deficit was $47MM!). $28MM - $16.67MM = -$11.33MM annual shortfall. And that is on a "COULD" make $200MM over the next 12 years!

Rutgers is in deep debt and will be adding nearly $135MM over 12 years. When does the hemorrhaging stop? Will the debt be paid? Let's not forget you just gave a mediocre at best Flood a raise/extension and thus are stuck with him for four years and cannot afford another buyout.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

once again, the money to extend Flood did not come from the university, it came from donors...and if RU loses the last 5 or 6 games this year (possible) he could be fired promptly with no problem.

RU will average over 30 mill a year with the new big 10 tv contract...this is without ticket sales, parking passes etc...

The hilarious thing is that the guy that spent years trying to put you in the worst possible light, Tom Luicci, is now a spokesman for the athletic department.
---------------------------------------

most RU fans thought of Lucci as being brutally honest...when we have done well, he was fully on board with his writings...when we are bad, he
did not pull any punches, and I respect that......in his current position we will mostly positive.

most RU fans thought of Lucci as being brutally honest...when we have done well, he was fully on board with his writings...when we are bad, he
did not pull any punches, and I respect that...in his current position we will mostly positive.
Agree - he was brutally honest. I enjoyed his work during the 20+ years I lived in NJ.

once again, the money to extend Flood did not come from the university, it came from donors...and if RU loses the last 5 or 6 games this year (possible) he could be fired promptly with no problem.

RU will average over 30 mill a year with the new big 10 tv contract...this is without ticket sales, parking passes etc...

I think his point was the buyout money would come from the university ... can't see donors picking up that tab either.

You shouldn't believe the hype. But for your convenience, what was Rutgers making under the old BE contract? About $6-8MM so back that out of anything paid by the B1G. That will be the net increase. Assuming your $30MM number, less $7MM = $23MM and your school is running a $28MM deficit, or if you prefer, you will be at a loss of $5MM annually. This does not factor in the fact that Rutgers does not get a full share yet and is already in debt with obligations nearing $500MM. Nor does the number factor in the increase in the annual deficit.

When does Rutgers stop taking money from the taxpayers and the students to pay for its sports programs?

As for Flood, assuming you are correct that the extension is from donors, however, the current two years is still under Rutgers and they cannot afford that buyout.

Look, I am glad that you love your school and support your school. However, defending the budget and financial status with hype is neither logical nor beneficial. The B1G sold UMD on $40MM/annual payments and now the B1G is hyping $30MM. Maybe you get it maybe you don't, but long gone is the $40MM. Hype cost UMD over $100MM in shortfall alone, another $30+MM in exit fees, several $MM in relabeling for the B1G, etc., etc., etc.

HtownOrange said:
You shouldn't believe the hype. But for your convenience, what was Rutgers making under the old BE contract? About $6-8MM so back that out of anything paid by the B1G. That will be the net increase. Assuming your $30MM number, less $7MM = $23MM and your school is running a $28MM deficit, or if you prefer, you will be at a loss of $5MM annually. This does not factor in the fact that Rutgers does not get a full share yet and is already in debt with obligations nearing $500MM. Nor does the number factor in the increase in the annual deficit. When does Rutgers stop taking money from the taxpayers and the students to pay for its sports programs? As for Flood, assuming you are correct that the extension is from donors, however, the current two years is still under Rutgers and they cannot afford that buyout. Look, I am glad that you love your school and support your school. However, defending the budget and financial status with hype is neither logical nor beneficial. The B1G sold UMD on $40MM/annual payments and now the B1G is hyping $30MM. Maybe you get it maybe you don't, but long gone is the $40MM. Hype cost UMD over $100MM in shortfall alone, another $30+MM in exit fees, several $MM in relabeling for the B1G, etc., etc., etc.

Forgot all those plane trips to Iowa for synchronized swimming. Longer, more difficult travel = more money spent.

You shouldn't believe the hype. But for your convenience, what was Rutgers making under the old BE contract? About $6-8MM so back that out of anything paid by the B1G. That will be the net increase. Assuming your $30MM number, less $7MM = $23MM and your school is running a $28MM deficit, or if you prefer, you will be at a loss of $5MM annually. This does not factor in the fact that Rutgers does not get a full share yet and is already in debt with obligations nearing $500MM. Nor does the number factor in the increase in the annual deficit.

When does Rutgers stop taking money from the taxpayers and the students to pay for its sports programs?

As for Flood, assuming you are correct that the extension is from donors, however, the current two years is still under Rutgers and they cannot afford that buyout.

Look, I am glad that you love your school and support your school. However, defending the budget and financial status with hype is neither logical nor beneficial. The B1G sold UMD on $40MM/annual payments and now the B1G is hyping $30MM. Maybe you get it maybe you don't, but long gone is the $40MM. Hype cost UMD over $100MM in shortfall alone, another $30+MM in exit fees, several $MM in relabeling for the B1G, etc., etc., etc.

oh, the big 10 will get a huge bump in tv revenue, and I would not be shocked if it gave each program well over 30 mil...down the road.

as far as your figures that result in a $5 million deficit, some of that will be offset by the skyrocketing increase in game day ticket prices and parking
passes...increased donations required as a "seat gift" to keep your seats...my premium parking pass was about $20 per game about 2 or 3 years ago, it
went up to $80, with an increase in donation to maintain that...and it probably is going higher next year.

you would think that multiplying the parking pass price by four, increasing donation requirements would cause a drop off in such sales, but what has happened is that demand has gone up where many fans are being bumped down to lower level lots...and this is just the start of this...

IF, and it is a
big IF, RU does well on the field, money will come flooding in...why RU should have large deficits after that would have to be
explained to the state of NJ...but a lot of money is and will be coming into the school through the football program

while you like to have a thread about RU being in the dumpster, the fans of RU were never more cranked up about the future...I hope a few
of you got to see how our stadium was, against Penn state...more of the same this Saturday...we cannot wait for the next big 10 game...

the stadium is full and rocking...not bad for a Dumpster program...

oh, the big 10 will get a huge bump in tv revenue, and I would not be shocked if it gave each program well over 30 mil...down the road.

as far as your figures that result in a $5 million deficit, some of that will be offset by the skyrocketing increase in game day ticket prices and parking
passes...increased donations required as a "seat gift" to keep your seats...my premium parking pass was about $20 per game about 2 or 3 years ago, it
went up to $80, with an increase in donation to maintain that...and it probably is going higher next year.

you would think that multiplying the parking pass price by four, increasing donation requirements would cause a drop off in such sales, but what has happened is that demand has gone up where many fans are being bumped down to lower level lots...and this is just the start of this...

IF, and it is a
big IF, RU does well on the field, money will come flooding in...why RU should have large deficits after that would have to be
explained to the state of NJ...but a lot of money is and will be coming into the school through the football program

while you like to have a thread about RU being in the dumpster, the fans of RU were never more cranked up about the future...I hope a few
of you got to see how our stadium was, against Penn state...more of the same this Saturday...we cannot wait for the next big 10 game...

the stadium is full and rocking...not bad for a Dumpster program...

Again, you and the forecasters keep talking about the money DOWN THE ROAD. Rutgers' Athletics Department is so far in debt that they should be forced into bankruptcy. Being a state agency, they will not. Even if you break even, there is nearly a half billion S$$$$ in debt and forecast debt before breaking even. That does not include service on the debt. That is the current situation. I used your dream numbers and clearly Rutgers is NOT getting their dream numbers for some time and Rutgers still falls short. Raising parking pass prices will not pay off $500MM.

You are free to believe the hype, just don't bring the nonsense here. Rutgers had 150 years to be good and never tried. Rutgers never brought anything to the Big East and now of a sudden Rutgers will be ruling the B1G and cashing fat checks that will make everyone millionaires. You need to run for public office, even they don't promise miracles like that.

As for the large deficits being explained, why are they not explained now? There is no excuse to run $28MM in the hole annually with a $47MM spike. Rutgers whole AD does not generate that much money on its own (remember, subsidies do NOT count as generated funds!).

No one s disputing the B1G is a boon to Rutgers and no one is disputing that Rutgers will be getting big checks, we are merely pointing out that the hype is already being toned down so one should not believe too much in the hype. What was once $40MM+ estimates has already been toned down to maybe $30MM. Not the direction Rutgers wanted and certainly not the direction that UMD was sold on.

Again, you and the forecasters keep talking about the money DOWN THE ROAD. Rutgers' Athletics Department is so far in debt that they should be forced into bankruptcy. Being a state agency, they will not. Even if you break even, there is nearly a half billion S$$$$ in debt and forecast debt before breaking even. That does not include service on the debt. That is the current situation. I used your dream numbers and clearly Rutgers is NOT getting their dream numbers for some time and Rutgers still falls short. Raising parking pass prices will not pay off $500MM.

You are free to believe the hype, just don't bring the nonsense here. Rutgers had 150 years to be good and never tried. Rutgers never brought anything to the Big East and now of a sudden Rutgers will be ruling the B1G and cashing fat checks that will make everyone millionaires. You need to run for public office, even they don't promise miracles like that.

As for the large deficits being explained, why are they not explained now? There is no excuse to run $28MM in the hole annually with a $47MM spike. Rutgers whole AD does not generate that much money on its own (remember, subsidies do NOT count as generated funds!).

No one s disputing the B1G is a boon to Rutgers and no one is disputing that Rutgers will be getting big checks, we are merely pointing out that the hype is already being toned down so one should not believe too much in the hype. What was once $40MM+ estimates has already been toned down to maybe $30MM. Not the direction Rutgers wanted and certainly not the direction that UMD was sold on.
----------------------------------------------------
no one knows what the next tv contract will bring, it is just a bunch of typical fans with their guesses...my guess is closer to the 40 mil, but again, who knows?

we knew from day one that RU and Maryland would not draw a full share for a number of years, that is why
every reference to revenue includes the "down the road"...nor does RU or Maryland deserve a full share for a while, that is fair.

I like how you, and so many Cuse fans say things like "Rutgers will be ruling the B1G, cashing fat checks that will make everyone millionaires"

You should be able to have a civil discussion without resorting to that, don't you think?...don't make up crap, you should be better than that

Last edited:
no one knows what the next tv contract will bring, it is just a bunch of typical fans with their guesses...my guess is closer to the 40 mil, but again, who knows?

I like how you, and so many Cuse fans say things like "Rutgers will be ruling the B1G, cashing fat checks that will make everyone millionaires"

You should be able to have a civil discussion without resorting to that, don't you think?...don't make up crap, you should be better than that
Other than RutgersAl, I'm pretty sure no one here has ever said "Rutgers will be ruling the B1G".

we knew from day one that RU and Maryland would not draw a full share for a number of years, that is why
every reference to revenue includes the "down the road"...nor does RU or Maryland deserve a full share for a while, that is fair.

I don't really care about Rutgers and how much money they lose trying to field athletics each year but I thought I read that the money for the B1G network in the Maryland and NJ areas was dramatically less than had been projected. Is that true?

Given that and the death spiral B1G football is experiencing, I am not sure why you think the extremely optimistic revenue projections the B1G used to lure Maryland into the conference are too low.