The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

I don't really care about Rutgers and how much money they lose trying to field athletics each year but I thought I read that the money for the B1G network in the Maryland and NJ areas was dramatically less than had been projected. Is that true?

Given that and the death spiral B1G football is experiencing, I am not sure why you think the extremely optimistic revenue projections the B1G used to lure Maryland into the conference are too low.
----------------------------------------------------

I have not heard anything about what the big 10 is getting from tv now, most of the talk is about the upcoming tv contract which should be huge.

RU has done its part so far, our first big 10 game was the highest rated in the NYC and PA market ever, and was the highest viewed game on tv that day in those markets.....

if RU continues to get a lot of viewers on tv
they add value to that next contract...it is all about that.

I would think Cuse fans would get tired discussing money when it comes to RU...I think if you are to discuss RU it would be more interesting
to discuss ACC vs B1G, which team, Syracuse or RU would win if they played, which team figures to get to a bowl, which to a better bowl, etc

actual football stuff.

RU is not going anywhere even if it loses money...It might make some syracuse fans happy that RU is not making money, but the sports team
will continue, and I continue to believe that RU can become a better team than today as time goes on, with the increased exposure and sellout crowds, drawing better recruits...that is what is all about.

--------------------------------

I do not doubt that all schools play with the numbers...there is no reason for RU to have a huge deficit as compared to other universities...we play
in front of a stadium with 90% of the seats filled, charge a lot for tickets and parking, and we are not traveling to Hawaii every week, running up costs,etc...I think the way they calculate it is not what a lot of other
universities do...

also, our local papers always try to put us in the worst possible light, and if they can factor in something to make it look bad...they will.

USA Today has a database. They pull the detailed data reported to the Dept. of Ed. for all state institutions. Check it out and see where your revenue comes from.

-----------------------------------------

and he was kicked off his high school team because he loves RU so much, he did not go to a tape session at his high school and came to the
Tulane game.

most on our board think that this was just two heads butting together in a fit of anger, after the fact...He will either make up with the coach
or transfer.
In no way is this a negative as we see it...the kid cannot wait to get here.

-----------------------------------------

and he was kicked off his high school team because he loves RU so much, he did not go to a tape session at his high school and came to the
Tulane game.

most on our board think that this was just two heads butting together in a fit of anger, after the fact...He will either make up with the coach
or transfer.
In no way is this a negative as we see it...the kid cannot wait to get here.
Might need to work a bit on his dedication - this year, his responsibility was to his HS team. He did not meet that responsibility. But you're right - in NO way is this a negative. No way. :rolleyes:

Might need to work a bit on his dedication - this year, his responsibility was to his HS team. He did not meet that responsibility. But you're right - in NO way is this a negative. No way. :rolleyes:
---------------------------------------

update:...Mike Ricci, the head coach of the team that Ted plays for, says that Ted was not kicked off the team
and that there is an on going discussion...as most thought, a few angry words at first, and now it probably
will be worked out...

update:...Mike Ricci, the head coach of the team that Ted plays for, says that Ted was not kicked off the team
and that there is an on going discussion...as most thought, a few angry words at first, and now it probably
will be worked out...
Hard to misinterpret 'drop off his equipment Monday morning'. Oops - I guess I need this kid to win this year...

Right, love the dedication to switch schools twice to his benefit, ignoring teammates twice. Wait until he is in college, what will he do when he has to forfeit a year to switch schools?

----------------------------------------------------

I have not heard anything about what the big 10 is getting from tv now, most of the talk is about the upcoming tv contract which should be huge.

RU has done its part so far, our first big 10 game was the highest rated in the NYC and PA market ever, and was the highest viewed game on tv that day in those markets...

if RU continues to get a lot of viewers on tv
they add value to that next contract...it is all about that.

I would think Cuse fans would get tired discussing money when it comes to RU...I think if you are to discuss RU it would be more interesting
to discuss ACC vs B1G, which team, Syracuse or RU would win if they played, which team figures to get to a bowl, which to a better bowl, etc

actual football stuff.

RU is not going anywhere even if it loses money...It might make some syracuse fans happy that RU is not making money, but the sports team
will continue, and I continue to believe that RU can become a better team than today as time goes on, with the increased exposure and sellout crowds, drawing better recruits...that is what is all about.

Let's get this straight: You don't know what the B1G is getting from TV now but just know that is will be "huge", your words, not mine. Try looking at B1G distributions from last season and don't forget that only part of the distribution is TV money. Don't be a foolish idiot that claims the whole lot as TV money and dog the ACC for their TV money without adding in the other monies. Much closer than one would think, and the ACC does not share revenue for many things included in the B1G revenue share plan (not all plans are equal).

RU getting the highest rating in one evening after a year of hype should not be a standard, try waiting five years and see what Rutgers v. Indiana draws. Mayhap that PSU was the draw. Next, re-read your market area, which is much of Jersey land wise and nearly 1/2 f the population in the NYC DMA. You number does not delineate the difference between NYC viewers and Jersey viewers. Get that number and you may have a discussion point, without it, you have hot air.

Whether Rutgers adds any viewers has yet to be proven. Again, Rutgers had a year of hype and their are a lot of PSU fans in the NYC DMA. You need to break out the fan bases and analyze who actually watched.

Syracuse fans enjoy talking about Rutgers because Rutgers is a clown among Athletics departments. When Rutgers fans come to this site and defend Rutgers' glorious football history, brag on Schiano's recruiting (which was nothing more than seeing who Syracuse offered and then telling the kid Syracuse was all but closing its doors), defend AD spending and try to explain away horrendous deficits, we can't help ourselves but to laugh. One other point on money, if Rutgers would spend wisely and pay their debts and stop taking student funds and money from every direction in Jersey, Syracuse would have no reason to laugh at Rutgers AD in financial matters. Maybe we could talk about football, then.

I am ambivalent about Rutgers making money. On one hand, if Rutgers makes no money they cannot recruit, pay coaches, build, etc. very well. On the other hand, if Rutgers is making money, Northeast football is strengthened and anything to degrade the SEC to what they really are (cheating, overpaying, ignoramuses - Look it up SEC fans, if you can) is a plus. I do laugh when a person defends nonsense that is Rutgers Athletics Department and its annual deficits that small colleges could operate with. And when JH speaks, she could mess up a thank you note!

Finally, I am still glad that you love your team and support them. We do the same here except we like the Orange (a point you may have missed somewhere along the line). If you wish to talk football, stay away from this thread. This thread is for the sole purpose of enjoying the entertainment that Rutgers provides the nation with, and no, sports has nothing to do with it.

Let's get this straight: You don't know what the B1G is getting from TV now but just know that is will be "huge", your words, not mine. Try looking at B1G distributions from last season and don't forget that only part of the distribution is TV money. Don't be a foolish idiot that claims the whole lot as TV money and dog the ACC for their TV money without adding in the other monies. Much closer than one would think, and the ACC does not share revenue for many things included in the B1G revenue share plan (not all plans are equal).

RU getting the highest rating in one evening after a year of hype should not be a standard, try waiting five years and see what Rutgers v. Indiana draws. Mayhap that PSU was the draw. Next, re-read your market area, which is much of Jersey land wise and nearly 1/2 f the population in the NYC DMA. You number does not delineate the difference between NYC viewers and Jersey viewers. Get that number and you may have a discussion point, without it, you have hot air.

Whether Rutgers adds any viewers has yet to be proven. Again, Rutgers had a year of hype and their are a lot of PSU fans in the NYC DMA. You need to break out the fan bases and analyze who actually watched.

Syracuse fans enjoy talking about Rutgers because Rutgers is a clown among Athletics departments. When Rutgers fans come to this site and defend Rutgers' glorious football history, brag on Schiano's recruiting (which was nothing more than seeing who Syracuse offered and then telling the kid Syracuse was all but closing its doors), defend AD spending and try to explain away horrendous deficits, we can't help ourselves but to laugh. One other point on money, if Rutgers would spend wisely and pay their debts and stop taking student funds and money from every direction in Jersey, Syracuse would have no reason to laugh at Rutgers AD in financial matters. Maybe we could talk about football, then.

I am ambivalent about Rutgers making money. On one hand, if Rutgers makes no money they cannot recruit, pay coaches, build, etc. very well. On the other hand, if Rutgers is making money, Northeast football is strengthened and anything to degrade the SEC to what they really are (cheating, overpaying, ignoramuses - Look it up SEC fans, if you can) is a plus. I do laugh when a person defends nonsense that is Rutgers Athletics Department and its annual deficits that small colleges could operate with. And when JH speaks, she could mess up a thank you note!

Finally, I am still glad that you love your team and support them. We do the same here except we like the Orange (a point you may have missed somewhere along the line). If you wish to talk football, stay away from this thread. This thread is for the sole purpose of enjoying the entertainment that Rutgers provides the nation with, and no, sports has nothing to do with it.

again with the remarks that RU fans are defending our glorious history, still bragging on schianos recruiting, what are you having, flashbacks from 3 years ago?...why do you make this crap up?...it is just not true...I think it makes you feel good to type the lie...

Last edited:

again with the remarks that RU fans are defending our glorious history, still bragging on schianos recruiting, what are you having, flashbacks from 3 years ago?...why do you make this crap up?...it is just not true...I think it makes you feel good to type the lie...
Are you on a Syracuse fansite? Do other Rutgers fan come her? (Pssst: the answer is yes - I know those two were tough). Are you defending Rutgers? (Yes, again). Did you not state that Rutgers can continue winning and become something? (Yes).

Many of your fellow fans have come on here and bragged about Rutgers. Discussed at length the Rutgers glory (RutgersAl excepted in these charges as he is a good guy and very entertaining). Many have predicted the eternal demise of Syracuse. Have they ruined it for fans like you? Probably.

As was mentioned before, this thread is for fun. It is ll encompassing fun with Rutgers. Not PSU, VATech, Miami, Maryland, UConn, etc. If you really want to talk football or other sports, feel free to join in the real conversations. If you wish to discuss the Rutgers v. Syracuse as a football issue, feel free to start a thread. Just don't come to a thread you know full well is designed to poke fun at all things Rutgers and try to defend Rutgers in any serious manner.

P.S. The Rutgers sites I know of ban almost all Syracuse fans from posting. They ban most opponent fans if they disparage Rutgers. The fact that you and several other Rutgers fans post here freely ought to tell you something about true character of the school and fans.

the rival site for RU is the most active and very tolerant of outside fans, as long as they don't go too far...If you ever have
anything of value to add to a RU board, I would suggest you visit there...we have a good relationship with an Arkansas
poster over the past two years, he still posts there...same with others also.

I find it hard to believe that RU fans brag about any past accomplishments because we have had so few...I would doubt
you could have had many of those.

In fact, if you were to visit the RU rivals football board, there is a current thread about posting a gif showing "what's it like to be a RU fan" ...and the responses are all "fail" gifs, some quite funny

You don't have to post there, but I highly suggest that you go to that thread on the rivals board and see how self-deprecating
our fans can be, the thread is still on page 1.....again, the real fans know of our years of struggle and failure, and this would
give you a better idea of what the majority of RU fans have felt up till now.

I previously tried to link the thread here, but for some reason it did not work.

the rival site for RU is the most active and very tolerant of outside fans, as long as they don't go too far...If you ever have
anything of value to add to a RU board, I would suggest you visit there...we have a good relationship with an Arkansas
poster over the past two years, he still posts there...same with others also.

I find it hard to believe that RU fans brag about any past accomplishments because we have had so few...I would doubt
you could have had many of those.

In fact, if you were to visit the RU rivals football board, there is a current thread about posting a gif showing "what's it like to be a RU fan" ...and the responses are all "fail" gifs, some quite funny

You don't have to post there, but I highly suggest that you go to that thread on the rivals board and see how self-deprecating
our fans can be, the thread is still on page 1...again, the real fans know of our years of struggle and failure, and this would
give you a better idea of what the majority of RU fans have felt up till now.

I previously tried to link the thread here, but for some reason it did not work.

When it comes to Rutgers and "something of value" in the same sentence it usually is met with a chuckle and an eye roll. We do have RU fans that come here and flap their yaps and continue to point this past 10 years as if something has been accomplished.

Most of our fans don't go to your board ... they don't care to bother. You can sugar coat the whole relationship you have with an Arkansas fan all you wish but that board is notorious for booting fans from other schools it has been discussed repeatedly here.

The fact that we aren't in the same conference, don't play each other and flat out own RU in historical terms leads me to again ask the question of why do you and the other crimson blights still come here ... other than the whole seeking approval from big brother I just have no friggin clue.

that is a funny question...YOU have a continual thread about RU...we do not...and you wonder why RU fans respond?

oh, and as far as owning RU in historical terms...you are talking the distant past...RU is, at minimum, on even, and probably
a higher plane than SU right now, and over the past decade or so...check the scores...

I don't come here seeking approval, just mildly amused that your fans have a continual "thing" for RU

a word of advice...if you do not appreciate RU fans coming here...let this and other threads die off.

that is a funny question...YOU have a continual thread about RU...we do not...and you wonder why RU fans respond?

oh, and as far as owning RU in historical terms...you are talking the distant past...RU is, at minimum, on even, and probably
a higher plane than SU right now, and over the past decade or so...check the scores...

I don't come here seeking approval, just mildly amused that your fans have a continual "thing" for RU

a word of advice...if you do not appreciate RU fans coming here...let this and other threads die off.
Just checked the scores to check out this 'plane' of the modern times you speak of. 3 bowl wins in the last 4 years for SU. RU? 1 bowl win in the same 4 years. Thanks for dropping by.

wheezer73 said:
that is a funny question...YOU have a continual thread about RU...we do not...and you wonder why RU fans respond? oh, and as far as owning RU in historical terms...you are talking the distant past...RU is, at minimum, on even, and probably a higher plane than SU right now, and over the past decade or so...check the scores... I don't come here seeking approval, just mildly amused that your fans have a continual "thing" for RU a word of advice...if you do not appreciate RU fans coming here...let this and other threads die off.

I don't blame you guys. If I had one stretch of mediocrity in my entire history (most of which was playing whipping boy to us, WVU, Pitt, etc) - I'd probably think I'd arrived too.

Except you haven't.

So, what you're saying is that it's OK for you to use the last 10 year snapshot of time to "prove" your point.

But it is not OK for us to use the other 90 years to prove ours.

Gotcha.

And before 2006 I would not classify as distant past, before 1985, yes.

And as another poster pointed out the more recent past. SU 3 bowl wins, Rutgers 1.

You can go clean the Hot Pocket wrappers up from your mom's basement before she grounds you from the X-Box when she gets home.

Or you could just stop coming here and do us the favor ... I don't go to your board to look for Syracuse threads ... I guess it must be a self esteem thing for you ... its cool ... you are still the little redheaded stepchild we kicked around for decades .. and don't worry its not like you have to worry about it happening again since we parted ways ... I just wish you and the rest of the fanbase would take the hint and leave ... do you go to every fans board looking for threads on RU? If you do go get a freakin job.

Just checked the scores to check out this 'plane' of the modern times you speak of. 3 bowl wins in the last 4 years for SU. RU? 1 bowl win in the same 4 years. Thanks for dropping by.

Whoa ... hey what about that one famous Thursday night game against LVille ... remember that one ... legendary man ... it led to a conference championship right? ... Right? guys ... I mean that trophy case in the past 10 years must be pretty full right? When is this guy gonna figure out we both have the same conference titles in that time period oh and we have more bowl wins .. but hey whats facts got to do with it? I'm going to quit my job and search for SU threads on message boards for teams we don't even play ... yeah thats the ticket.

A word of advice? Wow. A Ruttie fan handing out words of advice on our board. Here's a word of advice...

Win something. Anything, actually. An outright championship in any men's or women's sport in the BIG 10. THEN COME DEFEND YOUR SCHOOL. Until then,please shut your yapper. Because you never did it in the Big East. Seton Hall contributed more to that conference than you could ever dream of. As did Providence. And neither of them even play football. So please wrap your hands around your neck and choke yourself.

if you do not appreciate RU fans coming here...let this and other threads die off.
If Rutgers would stop providing material, we would let this thread die off. Be honest, even you Rutgers fans think Julie Herrman can be amusing. The budget stuff just amazes people. And stop hiring coaches that physically, verbally and psychologically abuse their players.

Anyway, if you want serious discussion, read our other threads or start a new one. This thread freely, openly, plainly states this is the all inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread.

P.S. You may want to read what your new conference mates think of Rutgers. Not as flattering as some of what is in this thread.

Friend of the board RutgersAl has discovered Twitter, and my lord, he does not disappoint.

@RutgersAl · Aug 14
Prediction: @HeismanTrophy finalists Gary Nova and Marcus Mariota square off in @rosebowlgame #CHOPnation #bELieve

@RutgersAl · Sep 8
This weekend @ #thebirthplaceofcollegefootball : major @rosebowlgame implications and potential @HeismanTrophy buzz for Nova/Hackenberg

@RutgersAl · Sep 9
Saban eschewing social media will lead to the tech savvy coaches like @KyleFloodRU surpassing him in recruiting prowess

@RutgersAl · Sep 25
Derek Jeter is classy enough to be a Rutgers Scarlet Knight #RE2PECT

@RutgersAl · 14h14 hours ago
If Rutgers beats Michigan handily this weekend, I fear they may make a play for Kyle Flood. RU has brighter future so think he stays put

And THEN...he stokes the flames of #FSUTwitter

@RutgersAl · 7h7 hours ago
Ponder Manuel..FSU QB's don't get it done in the NFL. I pity the @nfl team that wastes a 1st round pick on Winston w/ Nova still available

@RutgersAl · 6h6 hours ago
Wow lots of h8 from Nole fans. NFL teams need leaders at QB. Nova is a gentleman/scholar while Winston can't read/yells #fhritp in public

Qb recruits have caught on: jimbo doesn't prepare you for NFL. That's why he's signing a Seton Hall Prep QB who Rutgers ignored #CHOPFSU

Not a coincidence Belichick has 4 Scarlet Knights and 1 Seminole. Schiano/Flood develop guys. Fisher just recruits

@RutgersAl · 5h5 hours ago
#fsutwitter we've seen this movie before from big armed, athletic, illiterate trouble maker QB's from Alabama. Jamies is JaMarcus 2.0

Michigan must really suck for Rutgirlz to be leading at halftime. I wish we had their charmed life, I wish we played a legendary name like Michigan when they're at their lowest point in their history. If it was us, we'd be winning by several touchdowns. Ridiculous. I will be happy when Rutgirlz is exposed and goes away for good.