The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

For all those who continue to bash their program, I wonder if you saw any of their game with Michigan? The atmosphere at their place, and the enthusiasm of their fans blows away what we have to offer recruits.

Sad truth.

not sure I get your point. I didn't see orange fans rush the field. If anyone is saying Rutgers is better then us right now ...who cares...so is almost everyone.
My point is some are laughing at their fans for rushing the field after they beat Michigan, and that's just stupid, especially in view of the fact that we can only claim wins against Nova and CM. All this silly back and forth about how superior we are to them is laughable and sad really. We are not a top program anymore. We have been irrelevant for years, and from what I've seen, we won't be anything more for some time.

My point is some are laughing at their fans for rushing the field after they beat Michigan, and that's just stupid, especially in view of the fact that we can only claim wins against Nova and CM. All this silly back and forth about how superior we are to them is laughable and sad really. We are not a top program anymore. We have been irrelevant for years, and from what I've seen, we won't be anything more for some time.

When were they ever a top program? I was in the Dome when SU smashed Miami 66-13 and not a soul rushed the field ... so you want to be a big boy program and your fan base rushes the field when you edge out a Michigan team that was not only shut out by ND for the first time in their series history but a Michigan team that is setting lower and lower standards each time they take the field. Michigan is 2-4 if they were undefeated I might be able to see it ... but really 2-3 Michigan comes to town and you rush the field? Did fans rush the field like that when we pasted LVille in the Dome or when we nearly hung 50 on WVU before they bolted from the BE? No we didn't ... do I need to explain why? And those were much bigger wins by far.

I have to be honest, a part of me stopped hating them when I saw how well their fans represented. I remember going there in the late 90s and, considering how bad they were, the fans there were still pretty great.

I really think SU needs to go full bore with the New York's Team thing. Not just NYC. We need our own smoke and mirrors to make up for being a private school.

after todays events and announcements if true we now have our very own dumpster fire. could there be anymore chaos--sheese

When were they ever a top program? I was in the Dome when SU smashed Miami 66-13 and not a soul rushed the field ... so you want to be a big boy program and your fan base rushes the field when you edge out a Michigan team that was not only shut out by ND for the first time in their series history but a Michigan team that is setting lower and lower standards each time they take the field. Michigan is 2-4 if they were undefeated I might be able to see it ... but really 2-3 Michigan comes to town and you rush the field? Did fans rush the field like that when we pasted LVille in the Dome or when we nearly hung 50 on WVU before they bolted from the BE? No we didn't ... do I need to explain why? And those were much bigger wins by far.
Who cares if they rush the field? Just more nonsense.

I'm done bashing rutgers. They are 4-1, beat Mich, almost beat PSU, theyre home games look good on tv. I dont even care if Mich is the worst they have been in 20 years, or that PSU only has 20 scholly players. We laughed at them winning maybe 2 games this year, laughed at their clueless coach and their awful QB. Its quite funny that we are actually expereincing eveything we were laughing at them about.

I'm done bashing rutgers. They are 4-1, beat Mich, almost beat PSU, theyre home games look good on tv. I dont even care if Mich is the worst they have been in 20 years, or that PSU only has 20 scholly players. We laughed at them winning maybe 2 games this year, laughed at their clueless coach and their awful QB. Its quite funny that we are actually expereincing eveything we were laughing at them about.

RU's opponents combined record: 8-21
SU's opponents combined record: 21-7

PSU was just embarrassed by NU and are significantly worse than they were last year, losing O'Brien has hurt the X's and O's based on players and system, Franklin will need to recruit his guys for his system. Michigan is an embarrassment and couldn't even crack the 300 yard barrier while being shutout by ND ... we were better against ND that is a fact. They continue to thrive on smoke and mirrors ... their only saving grace keeping them from a 2-3 win season is that some of the teams on their slate are so bad that if you swapped our schedule with theirs you would see both teams pretty much swapping records. The reason they win is their opponents are so awful this season its not even a question. Its only because they have been fortunate enough to square off against more inept coaching staffs with even worse QBs and talent all around. Their success is once again a giant smoke screen ...

PSU was just embarrassed by NU and are significantly worse than they were last year, losing O'Brien has hurt the X's and O's based on players and system, Franklin will need to recruit his guys for his system. Michigan is an embarrassment and couldn't even crack the 300 yard barrier while being shutout by ND ... we were better against ND that is a fact. They continue to thrive on smoke and mirrors ... their only saving grace keeping them from a 2-3 win season is that some of the teams on their slate are so bad that if you swapped our schedule with theirs you would see both teams pretty much swapping records. The reason they win is their opponents are so awful this season its not even a question. Its only because they have been fortunate enough to square off against more inept coaching staffs with even worse QBs and talent all around. Their success is once again a giant smoke screen ...

Smoke screen sounds pretty appealing right now.

"Perception is reality"

CMU would probably throttle Michigan. Does it make me feel better that SU throttled CMU? Not at all.

F-ck it.

I'm adopting Rutgers as my second team for the rest of the year.

It's diabolical. Every team I root for lets me down in the most excruciating ways possible.

You're next, Rutgers.

Wish our annual last game of the year was against them. They are our biggest rival in football. Have it in Yankee stadium each year. The battle for NY. ACC v Big 10, etc. Yes - they sucked in the '90's and for the 100 years prior. That's irrelevant. They are now our competition and peer. Sorry everyone - it's true.

"Perception is reality"

CMU would probably throttle Michigan. Does it make me feel better that SU throttled CMU? Not at all.

Perception is reality until they have to win a bowl game ... how has that worked out for them. Their big bowl win was the Texas Bowl ... didn't we win that last year ... our 3rd in 4 years ... yep that was the one.

CuseCactus said:
Wish our annual last game of the year was against them. They are our biggest rival in football. Have it in Yankee stadium each year. The battle for NY. ACC v Big 10, etc. Yes - they sucked in the '90's and for the 100 years prior. That's irrelevant. They are now our competition and peer. Sorry everyone - it's true.

I would rather beat BC, Pitt, WVU or Pedst than rutgirls. So how are they our rival? Because they give people plenty of softballs to mock? You must be on the younger side if you think a rutgirls is our rival.

Perception is reality until they have to win a bowl game ... how has that worked out for them. Their big bowl win was the Texas Bowl ... didn't we win that last year ... our 3rd in 4 years ... yep that was the one.
I'm too lazy to dig for the information but I do beleive Rutgers won every bowl they have been to besides KState in the Texas/Insight bowl and last years pinstripe bowl.

I'm too lazy to dig for the information but I do beleive Rutgers won every bowl they have been to besides KState in the Texas/Insight bowl and last years pinstripe bowl.

First of all that is false ... they've lost their last two (Russell and Pinstripe) ... and again their big bowl win (the year they won 11 games) was the Texas Bowl win. Again in that time frame we have won all 3 of our bowl games ...

First of all that is false ... they've lost their last two (Russell and Pinstripe) ... and again their big bowl win (the year they won 11 games) was the Texas Bowl win. Again in that time frame we have won all 3 of our bowl games ...

you're grasping at straws, who cares about their past bowls. I follow college football and actually forgot about the VaTech Russell bowl, you think some 16 year old kids remember? You know what else they dont remember, Rutgers 100 years of ineptitude. You want to know what else they dont remember? The last time SU played a meaningful football game on a national scale.

Over the weekend I raked some leaves and i did a lot of thinking about SU in the grand scheme, big picture of college football. I think a lot of the folks here are living in a world like Nicole Kidman and her children in that movie "The Others". We are delusional, much like she was in that movie.

I would rather beat BC, Pitt, WVU or Pedst than rutgirls. So how are they our rival? Because they give people plenty of softballs to mock? You must be on the younger side if you think a rutgirls is our rival.
Bees, at one time we had the right to look down at Rutgers. When I was a student at SU in the mid sixties, we were a great program, and we were among the best in the late 80's-90's. We are no longer an elite program, and are not in any way superior to any of the schools you mention, including Rutgers. .

Last edited:
I'm channeling my inner Mike Gundy - I'm 45. If that's on the younger side, sweet!

Saw Art Monk and then Joe Morris play as a kid. My dad went to school with Jim Brown. I was there from '87 - '91. I know Syracuse football pretty well.

I'd rather see BC, Pitt, WVU and Ped St beat Rutgers. And it's no contest. Because they are the upstarts. And our recruiting footprint matches theirs. And because we are NY's College Football Team - not some team from Piscataway. And, since 2000, we are 6-7 against them.

Cuse Action said:
Bees, at one time we had the right to look down at Rutgers. When I was a student at SU in the mid sixties, we were a great program, and we were among the best in the late 80's-90's. We are no longer an elite program, and are not in any way superior to any of the schools you mention.

Still stands in my mind they are a not a rival. Looking down on them or not doesn't make them a rival. Our rivals are the schools I mentioned. But they also provide plenty of material to laugh at.

Still stands in my mind they are a not a rival. Looking down on them or not doesn't make them a rival. Our rivals are the schools I mentioned. But they also provide plenty of material to laugh at.

They look pretty sharp right now. I'd take 5-1 and a win over Michigan (I know they suck, it's still Michigan).

The reality is that there is only 1 dumpster fire in the NE. It's not PSU with their lifted bowl ban and schollies returned. It's not BC with their upset of USC. It's not Pitt even with their coaching carousel(sp?). It's not Rutgers with their sold-out stadiums, top ratings, and 5-1 record. It's us. Facts:

In just the past 10 years......

1. We fired a coach with over 100 wins (only SEC teams do this, whether you agreed with it or not, it is what it is)
2. We hired a coach who gave us the lowest 4 year win total in our entire 100+ year history
3. We hired an alum who stated he just got his dream job only to bolt 4 years later and take half of his staff with him. Rumors fly about the struggles in regards to an IPF, local fans, media, etc. at which point is becomes obvious how difficult it is to win here. Doesn't help that he calls himself Saint Marrone because of the fact that we was able to win here(it might actually be true but was a black eye on the program)
4. We hire a coach who embarrasses himself on national TV by swearing at Dabo
5. Our last 3 head coaching hires had 0 years of head coaching experience before taking over here.
6. Our OC runs outside sweeps deep in his own territory against one of the best run defenses in the country and admits to calling plays similar to the way I do on my XBOX.
7. Our best option at QB is a guy who has thrown as many TD passes as the punter.
8. Our power running game can't gain 1 yd in the red zone against an FCS defense.
9. Our top WRs are all H-backs
10. On a Friday night, against a conference foe, one who we have history with from 10 years in the BE, we can't get 25k in their seats by kickoff.
11. We demote our OC before the Apple Festival and hand the booth over to a guy who spent the last 5 years in D3.
12. Our HC's response to criticism and losing is "Well at least ISIS isn't cutting my head off and I don't have Ebola"

Yeah sure this post is going to upset a few people. But we all need a reality check. Nobody in the NE looks as bad as we do right now, nobody. I'm done bashing Rutgers, it's not fun when they are better than us.

The reality is that there is only 1 dumpster fire in the NE. It's not PSU with their lifted bowl ban and schollies returned. It's not BC with their upset of USC. It's not Pitt even with their coaching carousel(sp?). It's not Rutgers with their sold-out stadiums, top ratings, and 5-1 record. It's us. Facts:

In just the past 10 years...

1. We fired a coach with over 100 wins (only SEC teams do this, whether you agreed with it or not, it is what it is)
2. We hired a coach who gave us the lowest 4 year win total in our entire 100+ year history
3. We hired an alum who stated he just got his dream job only to bolt 4 years later and take half of his staff with him. Rumors fly about the struggles in regards to an IPF, local fans, media, etc. at which point is becomes obvious how difficult it is to win here. Doesn't help that he calls himself Saint Marrone because of the fact that we was able to win here(it might actually be true but was a black eye on the program)
5. Our last 3 head coaching hires had 0 years of head coaching experience before taking over here.
6. Our OC runs outside sweeps deep in his own territory against one of the best run defenses in the country and admits to calling plays similar to the way I do on my XBOX.
7. Our best option at QB is a guy who has thrown as many TD passes as the punter.
8. Our power running game can't gain 1 yd in the red zone against an FCS defense.
10. On a Friday night, against a conference foe, one who we have history with from 10 years in the BE, we can't get 25k in their seats by kickoff.
11. We demote our OC before the Apple Festival and hand the booth over to a guy who spent the last 5 years in D3.
12. Our HC's response to criticism and losing is "Well at least ISIS isn't cutting my head off and I don't have Ebola"

Yeah sure this post is going to upset a few people. But we all need a reality check. Nobody in the NE looks as bad as we do right now, nobody. I'm done bashing Rutgers, it's not fun when they are better than us.
Sounds like someone DOES need a reality check - why do you even follow SU sports if it's such a dumpster fire? And why do you bother reading this thread if it infuriates you so?

In just the past 10 years...

Actually there are quite a few threads on here currently and over the years making fun of ourselves. At least we have Basketball and Lax to fall back on.