The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 318 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Scathing piece from the Toledo Blade about Delany adding Rutgers.

Big Ten gained the world, but lost its soul under retiring Delany

"My first response to the news Jim Delany is stepping down as Big Ten commissioner next summer: Those are some enormous shoes to fill.

My second: Can he take Rutgers with him?

That about captures the legacy of the man who shepherded a league that gained the world, but lost a piece of its soul.

Delany boldly moved the league forward, stretching its footprint from the plains (Nebraska) to the valley (Penn State) to the sewer (sorry, Rutgers), launching a lucrative league network, and bringing in piles of money."

Article is pretty sour really, as is the whole rag. Author rips that the NYC market only boasts about 11% of the people claiming to be avid college football fans, while in Toledo, it’s 72%. Conveniently ignores how many people that actually represents. Go a step further and tell me which has a greater potential for growth? This is why Rutgers was a tolerable move no matter how bad they are performing.

Article is pretty sour really, as is the whole rag. Author rips that the NYC market only boasts about 11% of the people claiming to be avid college football fans, while in Toledo, it’s 72%. Conveniently ignores how many people that actually represents. Go a step further and tell me which has a greater potential for growth? This is why Rutgers was a tolerable move no matter how bad they are performing.

I don't know if he conveniently ignored it. He randomly picked Toledo, because it's where the paper is but obviously a small market. 11% of NYC residents is about 860,000. 72% of Toledo is about 198,000.

All those people and nobody cares is his point. The growth potential is that once every 150 years 13% of the NYC dma might care about college football ?

I don't know if he conveniently ignored it. He randomly picked Toledo, because it's where the paper is but obviously a small market. 11% of NYC residents is about 860,000. 72% of Toledo is about 198,000.

All those people and nobody cares is his point. The growth potential is that once every 150 years 13% of the NYC dma might care about college football ?
And at those times it would be 5x the eyes on sets rather than the normal 4x. There’s a lot of sour grapes in the article is my only point. It’s not dissimilar from the way Greensboro might look at our inclusion in the ACC

And at those times it would be 5x the eyes on sets rather than the normal 4x. There’s a lot of sour grapes in the article is my only point. It’s not dissimilar from the way Greensboro might look at our inclusion in the ACC
Except we have successful programs, a large fan base, and a history of athletic accomplishment.

Except we have successful programs, a large fan base, and a history of athletic accomplishment.
Without debating the merit of the SU assessment, our large fan base is in NYC. Greensboro, without a team in the ACC is a rough equivalent to Toledo Ohio if not worse, in that our presence, and that of BC, and Pitt has drawn various ACC championship events away from the ACC’s traditional base and Greensboro specifically, to places like DC, or Brooklyn just as the Toledo folks are complaining has happened in the B1G. They argue that PSU didn’t cause this and that Delany’s eyes were bigger than the league’s stomach. The B1G turned its back on Toledo and their 75% fandom for NYC and it’s 11%. I’m saying Greensboro probably has similar thoughts of our inclusion and greedy eyes toward a northern fan base that doesn’t exist. I’m only pointing out that the 11% the article scoffs at dwarfs the 75% they hold up as reason for not having diluted the league. It may be worth it for the 11% and to ignore that so obviously just sounds like sour grapes. The school itself (in this case Rutgers and even Maryland) never mattered as much as having a foot in the NY and DC metro areas in order to among other things, negotiate a bigger and better TV deal. Toledo can’t help do that.

Keep in mind too that you are talking about the population of NYC and discounting the rest of the area, the most densely populated area in the country

Not much disagreement here.

My point is that Toledo's objection to Rutgers in the B1G is more valid than Greensboro's to SU in the ACC, based upon what each school's athletic program brought to their new league.

Not much disagreement here.

My point is that Toledo's objection to Rutgers in the B1G is more valid than Greensboro's to SU in the ACC, based upon what each school's athletic program brought to their new league.
The ACC realized taking Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College didn't solve their problems. Taking Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and a partial Notre Dame was at least 5 times better for perception.

Without debating the merit of the SU assessment, our large fan base is in NYC. Greensboro, without a team in the ACC is a rough equivalent to Toledo Ohio if not worse, in that our presence, and that of BC, and Pitt has drawn various ACC championship events away from the ACC’s traditional base and Greensboro specifically, to places like DC, or Brooklyn just as the Toledo folks are complaining has happened in the B1G. They argue that PSU didn’t cause this and that Delany’s eyes were bigger than the league’s stomach. The B1G turned its back on Toledo and their 75% fandom for NYC and it’s 11%. I’m saying Greensboro probably has similar thoughts of our inclusion and greedy eyes toward a northern fan base that doesn’t exist. I’m only pointing out that the 11% the article scoffs at dwarfs the 75% they hold up as reason for not having diluted the league. It may be worth it for the 11% and to ignore that so obviously just sounds like sour grapes. The school itself (in this case Rutgers and even Maryland) never mattered as much as having a foot in the NY and DC metro areas in order to among other things, negotiate a bigger and better TV deal. Toledo can’t help do that.
Greensboro only figures into the ACC because the meeting which formed the ACC was held at the Sedgefield Country Club there. Later, the ACC put its HQ there and that's the primary reason the tournament was held there (after a couple were held at Reynolds Coliseum on the NCSU campus, the largest gym available). UMd, UVa, Ga Tech, and FSU agitated for a looooong time to get the tournament out of Greensboro, and finally got their wish in 1976. I don't think Toledo has the same relationship to the B1G.

And so castles made of sand fall in the sea eventually

4DE8FF9F-BCA3-40E1-BF0B-453EA609C11A.jpeg

When i think of Toledo Ohio home to the Mud Hens and Rockets i see lots of bowling alleys, statues to individuals nobody knows, buffets for every cuisine imaginable, abandoned strip malls, and a decaying industrial toxic infrastructure wrapped around a school. So yea Toledo is spot on. Other than the 5 million or so additional buffet loving bowlers Toledo and Rutgers are pretty much one in the same.

When i think of Toledo Ohio home to the Mud Hens and Rockets i see lots of bowling alleys, statues to individuals nobody knows, buffets for every cuisine imaginable, abandoned strip malls, and a decaying industrial toxic infrastructure wrapped around a school. So yea Toledo is spot on. Other than the 5 million or so additional buffet loving bowlers Toledo and Rutgers are pretty much one in the same.

From someone who used to live 45 minutes from Toledo, I can confirm this.

Greensboro only figures into the ACC because the meeting which formed the ACC was held at the Sedgefield Country Club there. Later, the ACC put its HQ there and that's the primary reason the tournament was held there (after a couple were held at Reynolds Coliseum on the NCSU campus, the largest gym available). UMd, UVa, Ga Tech, and FSU agitated for a looooong time to get the tournament out of Greensboro, and finally got their wish in 1976. I don't think Toledo has the same relationship to the B1G.
I don’t think FSU cared where the ACCT was played before roughly 1991. I also very much doubt that GT cared before 1979.

Last edited:
This is too good to pass up.

Taking a look at offensive stats for all of FBS for last year and came across this gem.

Rutty had the lowest number of TD passes last year with 5, tied with Navy. They were the only team that had more than 20 Int's, with 22.

The resulting TD/Int ratio, 0.23/1. That may be historically bad.

They were one of three teams with less than offensive TD's for the season with 17 total.