The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 372 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

I don't think Leonard was coming. If I remember right there was some issue between his family and the staff to begin with.

Brian had an older brother named Nate. Coach P recruited Nate in the 90's, until Nate blew out his knee and we lost interest.

Nate ended up at Rutgers, because they were the only D1 school that didn't pull their offer. His college career was hampered by injuries.

Brian went to Rutgers because they were the only school that showed Nate any love.

He'll have plenty of opportunities to cause cheap shot injuries when other teams are running out the clock in victory formation.

I hope Standard want to stay if he is sent back to coaching the DE's. I was referring to the former DC which since SU plays Rutgers would be a shady type move to have against a future foe.
After what I seen he can have him lol

Not sure I'd consider him a principled man.

wonder what his latest negative recruiting spiel will be this time around about Dino and the done?

You think Schiano would hire our old DC just because we play them one game next year?

I think it's a possibility as that one game would be an asset along with being familiar with the area. Not just for one game only. And probably not as DC. Would be funny if he hired Shafer.

Couple of things, he will Be better than Ash, however it’s been almost a decade since he left RU the first time. We will cross paths but I don’t think this impacts us much. They will
Still Get slaughtered by B10 opponents. The upside for Rutgers is 5-6 wins and maybe 7 in a very good year.

Schiano will get them back up to 3-4 wins/yr. That's it.

Rutgers Football is gone forever.

I cannot wait to play them next year.

Syracuse barely recruits in NJ anymore. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention. Shady hardly recruited New England either. Some of you guys over blow this stuff. He's going to focus on NJ obviously, he'll hit up NYC/LI, Eastern PA, MD and it'll be interesting to see what he does in FL. I'd assume he'll try to get into Ohio, MI and Chicago. It would be smart to since that's where he'll play his games. Everything else is white noise and he won't butt up against us.

If there is one place he'll maybe be a pain it's with the Canadians. But we have a very solid relationship there that will be hard to break up.

That program has flat lined for so long now it'll be hard to get out-of-state kids to buy his snake oil. Most kids (and their advisers) are going to know it'll take 3, 4, 5 years to just to play .500 football.

Last edited:
There's a cant miss thread over there with most posters predicting 5 to 6 wins and most posters counting SU, Temple and Maryland as automatic wins for Gerg in his return.

There's a cant miss thread over there with most posters predicting 5 to 6 wins and most posters counting SU, Temple and Maryland as automatic wins for Gerg in his return.

The higher the expectations the better.

that's just nutty talk though unless he convinces his best players not to transfer. And even then. We're talking Gerg level at this point. they have 3 OOC games and then the Big10 where every team is 10x better than they are.

Well, he'll have a blocked punt/FG or 2 and turn that into a stellar 4 win season.

Why should anyone worry about this clown? The guy was 500 in a weak big east with most of his wins against cupcakes. He couldn't beat WV how's he beating OSU mich psu? This will be edsall 2.0.

I've been thinking about this too, whether he'll be the next Edsall. I found this interesting Wikipedia site that lists all of the coaches with non-consecutive tenures at one school. Looking at recent history, it's a mixed bag. There are the obvious failures like Johnny Majors, John Robinson, Edsall, etc.. There are guys in the middle like Petrino. Others like Bill Snyder seemingly picked up where they left off. Not sure what the pattern for success/failure is, if there is one. It could be the length of the gap between coaching tenures. The shorter the better. I think expectations figure in too, i.e. the more successful you were the first time around (and the less successful the program has been since you left) the more pressure and expectations there will be. Mack Brown will have a tough time of it but at least two more years of Sam Howell will help.

Schiano has been away for 9 years and they haven't had much success since he left. He's been coaching college ball the past three, so that helps. He's not coming out of retirement and he knows the B1G intimately. Rutgers is in rough shape and there's no room for error in the Eastern side of the conference. I think he'll have some success but it will be tough to break out of the 6-7 win range consistently. His former success might be his downfall. Some fans will expect 9-10 win seasons. The best we as Syracuse fans can hope for is that he weakens the big dogs in NJ by recruiting what would usually be their guys but doesn't get enough of them to be much of a threat. A slightly stronger Rutgers could mean a slightly weaker B1G, which ironically could help us in NJ.