The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 390 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

The recruits who commit will do so knowing this is a rebuild. Schiano will be targeting a much higher level of recruit going forward so competition will be stiff. Of course there will be some recruits who commit/decommit just like every program has but I am confident he winds up pulling an outstanding class this year despite his first year record...
So the two suggestions in the bold text are:
1)Every recruit Rutgers has gotten since Schiano's last stint didn't recognize that they were walking into a rebuild?
2)Every staff post Schiano 1 were not targeting high level recruits?

At least that explains the performance, but not the strategy of the previous two head coaches.

I am one who respects the potential Schiano brings, but only in the smoke and mirrors it seems only he can create. I am a proud NJ native and resident and I went to the same high school as Greg, even had him as a high school assistant coach. There is very little opportunity this turns out well for he and Rutgers unless we are going to say that 3 wins is a vast percentage improvement (50% improvement?) over last year.

The biggest unknown in this has not yet been stated. What if Rutgers just hired a responsible new President? What if he actually tries to balance the books? We don't know what he is yet, but he comes from Northwestern and Stanford and we know where their allegiance lies when choosing between football and academic reputation (and yes he played football at Stanford).

not much difference between 247 rankings of either school. su59 ru 63. my main concern is that schiano, like it or not shut us out of nj recruiting. people keep talking about the "big" boys. i am concerned about the players that ru and su have both offered that the big boys passed on. whether they nj guys or not. we need to crush this team from the out set if we can.

not much difference between 247 rankings of either school. su59 ru 63. my main concern is that schiano, like it or not shut us out of nj recruiting. people keep talking about the "big" boys. i am concerned about the players that ru and su have both offered that the big boys passed on. whether they nj guys or not. we need to crush this team from the out set if we can.

I see Syracuse #53, Rutgers #68 in the Rivals ratings

https://n./team_rankings/2020/all-teams/Football

When I look at their top rated players. I don’t see many P5 offers. I think it would be kind to classify it as an average class for a MAC school. There are a lot of players no one good wanted in this class. A disturbingly high number. We took a couple but not close to the number of reaches Rutgers was forced to take to put together reasonable numbers for their class.

He's still a 3 star. Relax a bit. He will get guys. We know that. There is optimism because of his return. Kids will give him a try because of that. Plus Jersey coaches think he is the messiah lol. Just wait after a couple years when he is still fighting for 5th place in the division with Indiana and Maryland.

Indiana will kick their arses every year. Maybe Maryland for 6th place

Sorry, I know that people here like to discredit the man but guys that can’t coach don’t get NFL head coaching jobs or hired by elite college programs(OSU) as a DC. He is a great defensive/ST coach. He hired a dynamic OC.

He is now coaching in arguably the best division in college football so it will take time and be hard to succeed...
Have you heard of Rich Kotite (former HFC NYJ) to name just one example of an NFL coach who couldn’t coach.

And... here... we... go...

Schiano was 6-5 versus Syracuse

He sure kicked Greg Robinson's ass, going 4-0, but when Cuse was competantly coached he was 2-5, including 1-2 on his way out the door at Rutgers.

those were largely our darkest days and Rutgers achieving mediocrity for the first time in their history

don’t pooh all over it

ok, it’s fine

When I look at their top rated players. I don’t see many P5 offers. I think it would be kind to classify it as an average class for a MAC school. There are a lot of players no one good wanted in this class. A disturbingly high number. We took a couple but not close to the number of reaches Rutgers was forced to take to put together reasonable numbers for their class.
they seem to be relying heavily on the transfer portal

that will be an excellent hire. both stanford and northwestern (both smallish private) have vg programs-
barchi was a good hire as well-- he accomplished what they hired him for which was to bring the medical school back under ru.
now if kent do the same for su that would be wonderful. suny upstate remains a problem and does not get a ranking from us news. upstate medical center has legal and management issues. maybe if su got it back they could do something with it.

that will be an excellent hire. both stanford and northwestern (both smallish private) have vg programs-
barchi was a good hire as well-- he accomplished what they hired him for which was to bring the medical school back under ru.
now if kent do the same for su that would be wonderful. suny upstate remains a problem and does not get a ranking from us news. upstate medical center has legal and management issues. maybe if su got it back they could do something with it.
Whatever happened to the trial balloon a couple of years ago about establishing a SU med school for the VA and Public Health Corps? :confused:

I respect the fact you love and support your team. Good fans always do, through thick and thin.

I question your logic and reason. You credit Schiano with the ability to get great recruits, I disagree as most of his recruits are overrated. However, for the sake of argument, I will play your game.

Schiano has never done anything with the recruits he gets. Sure, he pulled off a 10 win season - once! In a run-dwnn Big East. His won-loss record in the run-down Big East was far less than impressive for a great recruiter.

Schiano never won a Big East title outright. In fact, Rutgers never won a Big East title outright. And Schiano coached in the run-down Big East. Not an impressive showing for a great recruiter.

You have not transitioned your arguments to address the fact, the proverbial elephant in the room, that Rutgers is now in the B1G East. Schiano's won-loss record is built solely on beating historically bad teams and teams in down periods. He has no top 10 wins, top tier bowl wins, sole conference titles, and no significant wins, except Louisville ( I disagree this was significant, but I am playing your game). How do you translate his past and great recruiting into a sustained winning program against the B1G and P5 teams?

There is a common disclaimer when purchasing financial investments that past performance is not an indicator of future returns. This made with a stable fund manager, stable corporations, known competitors, etc., while Rutgers is in a completely new world for Schiano coaching wise.

Like I said, I respect that you love and support your team, but I simply do not see your arguments holding any sway.

Disagree that his recruits were overrated based on the amount of guys that went on to the NFL. He had a steady pipeline going and developed his players(many who were underrated as 2 stars).

The year he won 11 games happened to be in a year where the Big East had 3 top 15 teams. RU was an easy dropped TD in triple OT away from beating WV on the road and heading to the BCS as the sole BE champ. He did win a share of the title a few years later. He beat USF when they were ranked #2 along with beating #3 Louisville for top 10 wins...

He will be able to recruit at a higher level being in the BIG now. A key difference which is being overlooked is that Rutgers is supporting athletics for the first time. The BOG is finally giving him a fighting chance by leveling out the playing field with peer schools. This will come in the form of better assistants and facilities. Although RU still not getting a full share of BIG revenue but its getting much closer. The hiring of president Jonathon Holloway further shows a signifigant change in direction of the school. He was a former Stanford football player who understands BIG athletics(former president of NW).

So I guess we will see how things play out over the next few years. That's the fun of college football.

Disagree that his recruits were overrated based on the amount of guys that went on to the NFL. He had a steady pipeline going and developed his players(many who were underrated as 2 stars).

The year he won 11 games happened to be in a year where the Big East had 3 top 15 teams. RU was an easy dropped TD in triple OT away from beating WV on the road and heading to the BCS as the sole BE champ. He did win a share of the title a few years later. He beat USF when they were ranked #2 along with beating #3 Louisville for top 10 wins...

He will be able to recruit at a higher level being in the BIG now. A key difference which is being overlooked is that Rutgers is supporting athletics for the first time. The BOG is finally giving him a fighting chance by leveling out the playing field with peer schools. This will come in the form of better assistants and facilities. Although RU still not getting a full share of BIG revenue but its getting much closer. The hiring of president Jonathon Holloway further shows a signifigant change in direction of the school. He was a former Stanford football player who understands BIG athletics(former president of NW).

So I guess we will see how things play out over the next few years. That's the fun of college football.
tenor.gif

Typical Ash recruiting class. Ash couldn't sniff a top 10 NJ recruit(or anywhere else) his entire time at RU. Things are about to change with Schiano...

How do you feel about Babers recruiting going into year 5?

Last edited:
Have you heard of Rich Kotite (former HFC NYJ) to name just one example of an NFL coach who couldn’t coach.

Yet the best head coaches in the NFL and college(Belichick and Meyer) wanted him on their staff as the DC.

Think I'll go with their evaluations of his ability to coach then the arm chair message board posters!

Yet the best head coaches in the NFL and college(Belichick and Meyer) wanted him on their staff as the DC.

Think I'll go with their evaluations of his ability to coach then the arm chair message board posters!

Nobody but Rutgers and Tampa Bay(2 scrubby teams) has wanted him as their HEAD COACH though. Lots of good coordinators are bad head coaches. He’s basically Scott Shafer.

So getting hired as a DC by Urban Meyer is your gold standard for coaching excellence, eh?

One question:

Who was the last guy Urban hired as OSU DC before Schiano (who did Schiano replace)?

I will answer this for you.

Chris Ash.

So getting hired as a DC by Urban Meyer is your gold standard for coaching excellence, eh?

One question:

Who was the last guy Urban hired as OSU DC before Schiano (who did Schiano replace)?

I will answer this for you.

Chris Ash.

Schiano is a proven head coach and has done it before. Ash was a first time head coach. They both are good defensive coaches on the field but Schiano knows how to run a program and is an excellent recruiter...

Schiano is a proven head coach and has done it before. Ash was a first time head coach. They both are good defensive coaches on the field but Schiano knows how to run a program and is an excellent recruiter...

Proven loser. 20 games under .500 in the old Big East. He got lucky to leach Ray Rice off of Cuse when P got fired/GRob got hired and had one good season. That’s it. That’s the extent of his success.

I get the biggest kick out of Rutgers fans coming over here talking smack. They've literally won 3 games the past two years and won 13 games the past 5 years. They consistently get their teeth kicked in by halfway decent teams in the Big Ten, and get absolutely humiliated by the elite teams. They still bring up that "one time" in the 4th quarter and in overtime they almost beat a Good team... LOL. That was freaking 15+ years ago and went to the mighty Texas Bowl that year. I'm pretty sure uncle Rico's football achievements are better than Rutgirls.

As far as recruiting goes...the lead recruiting analysist is a huge rutgirls homer skewing the numbers. Their recruiting national average is always 15-30 spots higher because of duh duh Dohn. It gives the 'girls a false hope and a sense that they are getting better players than they are.

How do you feel about Babers recruiting going into year 5?

We’d want it to be better but it’s still been pretty good. It’ll bear out this year as he starts putting his guys into the league.

Depth chart has been largely underclassman. Started two freshman on the OL this past season.

Last edited:
Proven loser. 20 games under .500 in the old Big East. He got lucky to leach Ray Rice off of Cuse when P got fired/GRob got hired and had one good season. That’s it. That’s the extent of his success.

Wrong. He went to 6 bowls in in last 7 seasons at Rutgers. Was national coach of the year. Proven recruiter.

What do you think of Babers with a 12-20 conference record and where his recruiting is at in year 5?

Wrong. He went to 6 bowls in in last 7 seasons at Rutgers. Was national coach of the year. Proven recruiter.

What do you think of Babers with a 12-20 conference record and where his recruiting is at in year 5?

Wrong? Tell me what was “wrong”, sport? 28-48 in the Big East. Fact. Last place both years in Tampa before getting run out. Nobody cares about those s***t bowls Rutgers went to with 3-4 records in the crappy Big East.

And you don’t get to ask me questions in the Rutgers dumpster fire thread.

We’d want it to be better but it’s still been pretty good. It’ll bear out this year as he starts putting his guys into the league.

Depth chart has been largely underclassman. Started two freshman on the OL this past season.

Hard to start freshman on the OL for sure. Do you like his new staff hires? Are they solid recruiters?

THURSDAY NIGHT!!!!!

Wrong? Tell me what was “wrong”, sport? 28-48 in the Big East. Fact. Last place both years in Tampa before getting run out. Nobody cares about those s***t bowls Rutgers went to with 3-4 records in the crappy Big East.

And you don’t get to ask me questions in the Rutgers dumpster fire thread.
Well, he can, but you get to answer him like that.