The all inclusive year long horrible biased (cheating) ACC ref thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The all inclusive year long horrible biased (cheating) ACC ref thread

I’m really not, the places people will go to excuse piss-poor play are unending. You want to complain about Clemson? Fine. But UNC was an old fashioned beat down a bad call in 3-0 game has no business leading to a blow out. That all comes from a lack of will, talent and coaching.
And playing 11 on 19 ( Replay moron included)

I sometimes listen to CFB podcasts (betting focused at times or just analysis) and it seems like the ACC is starting to develop a reputation of having the worst officials.

Now for an SU specific take - Whenever there is a review I always assume Cuse will be on the losing end. It's crazy that amount of things I've watched that never benefited Cuse.

I’m really not, the places people will go to excuse piss-poor play are unending. You want to complain about Clemson? Fine. But UNC was an old fashioned beat down a bad call in 3-0 game has no business leading to a blow out. That all comes from a lack of will, talent and coaching.

This is an awful post. No one is excusing the poor play. Not in the least. Just read instead of assuming or sticking to that false narrative.

On the field calls have changed games and altered outcomes since we've been in the league. It's not right but it's a pill easier to swallow when it's all real time stuff like penalties. The game changes when you see the bias and poor decisions when it comes to video review. Not stopping the game to review, not using the proper camera angle and in general not applying the rules around clear and obvious equally has been an issue for SU year in year out in the ACC and impacted numerous games.

The response to that is it happens to everyone and we sucked so it doesn't matter. Well we've seen replay applied quickly and correctly to opponents in those same games where it was mangled to our detriment.

Fairplay is fairplay. Every program has a right to that claim whether their talent level is 0-12 or 12-0. We have clearly seen where there is a massive imbalance here that's far beyond normal volatility. It's weird to play this holier than thou stop calling out the officiating game as though it represents a higher moral ground. Especially when it's defending institutions that are severely flawed for many other reasons.

And playing 11 on 19 ( Replay moron included)
again.. 1 bad call does not lead to a 33 point loss. I dont know how many times it needs to be said. It's not like the refs were missing downs and throwing flags every play. The team played like dog chit. Simple as that.

again.. 1 bad call does not lead to a 33 point loss. I dont know how many times it needs to be said. It's not like the refs were missing downs and throwing flags every play. The team played like dog chit. Simple as that.
Nobody is saying we would have won the game. Reading comprehension my friend. This is about a series of calls that have turned the tide of games away from us. And please... stop letting us know that because you played Pop Warner ball that a team's performance isn't affected by a brutally incorrect call.

Nobody is saying we would have won the game. Reading comprehension my friend. This is about a series of calls that have turned the tide of games away from us. And please... stop letting us know that because you played Pop Warner ball that a team's performance isn't affected by a brutally incorrect call.
By saying they were playing 11 on 19 you are inferring that they were CONSTANTLY against the refs. But they werent, it was one call. And i said one thing about my playing experience in response to another posters comment. "Reading comprehension" indeed. Keep throwing around those excuses if it makes you feel better about garbage play. There was once a time where people were expected to work through adversity, not pretend to be the victim every chance they get.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is that Dino is a "cupcake" when it comes to calling out bad penalties on the field. For example, the targeting call in the Clemson game. Dabo immediately ran out to the official yelling that it was a bull$h%t call and the official coward like a little girl. Dino would never do this, he is more of a "call the official over, put his arm around him and asks why the call was made". Dino is seen as a pushover and has no fire on the field.

By saying they were playing 11 on 19 you are inferring that they were CONSTANTLY against the refs. But they werent, it was one call. And i said one thing about my playing experience in response to another posters comment. "Reading comprehension" indeed. Keep throwing around those excuses if it makes you feel better about garbage play.

Many of us have playing experience in multiple sports. Look we get it- you think somehow people are using it as an excuse ( which no one is saying). You have a narrative and some kind of higher moral ground you think you sit on based on your responses here. It's odd but we get it. Spin what others are saying around and restate your narrative over and over again. Not even sure why you are posting in this thread. Maybe start an officiating has been fine we've just sucked thread to counter it.

Many of us have playing experience in multiple sports. Look we get it- you think somehow people are using it as an excuse ( which no one is saying). You have a narrative and some kind of higher moral ground you think you sit on based on your responses here. It's odd but we get it. Spin what others are saying around and restate your narrative over and over again. Not even sure why you are posting in this thread. Maybe start an officiating has been fine we've just sucked thread to counter it.
Did you read the post I originally responded to? It specifically said the last 2 games don't count because of a couple bad calls. If you want to pretend like it's not being used an excuse then that is your prerogative.

Did you read the post I originally responded to? It specifically said the last 2 games don't count because of a couple bad calls. If you want to pretend like it's not being used an excuse then that is your prerogative.

One poster said something, a poster with often some unique takes on things. You then claim other posts indicated its being used as an excuse based on how all your posts read.

I'm not pretending anything I'm reading what 99 pct of everyone else is saying. What it reads like is that one post supported the pre determined narrative you subscribe to.

Last edited:
“I'll start...judgement call pass interference that's close and of course goes against us where we held them on a third down, this in a 7-7, or 10-10 type game in the first half leading to a TD for them. Next series we're driving for a TD and get a phantom holding call to call back a td where we then have to then punt. Rout follows shortly thereafter.”

Now I know I’m losing it - why do I feel like this exact scenario has happened in the past?

“I'll start...judgement call pass interference that's close and of course goes against us where we held them on a third down, this in a 7-7, or 10-10 type game in the first half leading to a TD for them. Next series we're driving for a TD and get a phantom holding call to call back a td where we then have to then punt. Rout follows shortly thereafter.”

Now I know I’m losing it - why do I feel like this exact scenario has happened in the past?
that was off the top of my cynical head but that would be hilarious and very much possible!

A blown call early that effects the score can have ramifications that last the rest of the game. It effects team morale , future play calling and in effect can cause a chain reaction. Am I saying SU would have won if the refs made the right call on the yard to gain . Absolutely not, no one here is, but we’re pointing out it’s been a pattern against upper level ACC teams, and I don’t see it changing.

A blown call early that effects the score can have ramifications that last the rest of the game. It effects team morale , future play calling and in effect can cause a chain reaction. Am I saying SU would have won if the refs made the right call on the yard to gain . Absolutely not, no one here is, but we’re pointing out it’s been a pattern against upper level ACC teams, and I don’t see it changing.
and the fact that the blocked punt bounced into the punters arms is also just horrible dumb luck which stinks as well. When it rains it pours

and the fact that the blocked punt bounced into the punters arms is also just horrible dumb luck which stinks as well. When it rains it pours
yeah I mean really? Could not believe it as I was watching literally thinking only us as he rounded the corner. And being a jets fan when rogers went down 4 plays in, was thinking only the jets that's so Jets......man gotta find a new sport to follow...

yeah I mean really? Could not believe it as I was watching literally thinking only us as he rounded the corner. And being a jets fan when rogers went down 4 plays in, was thinking only the jets that's so Jets...man gotta find a new sport to follow...
Ha the Giants are even worse And all pro tackle and star running back out . Not feeling any better :(

Crazy. What do you think the odds of this happening on blocked punt are: 100/1 - 500/1?

Yep A lady in my office today who is a big Cuse fan, had the perfect phrase to sum up what you and I are saying when she said, these biased blatant cheating calls “take the wind out of their sails“. Thought that was the Perfect apt metaphor.

Last edited:
I remember the 2017 Clemson upset. I remember thinking in the 2nd half we really have to earn it and not leave it to the refs because I figured they would want to protect the golden goose. Amazing SU was able to pull it off and they did it with quite a few penalties called against Clemson in that game, if I recall correctly.

I remember a Thursday night game at NC St in 2019 with Devito starting. We received the opening kickoff that was a touchback that got called for a holding on it, on a touchback. I knew right there we weren't getting a favorable whistle that night.

Its not soo much that the refs are out to screw SU but there are certain schools that some would describe as "protected" and get benefits and favorable whistles.

The worst take in spots is that bad calls don’t affect the outcome. It’s propaganda from the media and people who run the sport (whose job is in part dependent on the appearance of fair play).

There’s been 4-5 calls vs marquee opponents over the last 10 years that shifted the balance of fair play. It seems intentional. And it’s dumb.

The worst take in spots is that bad calls don’t affect the outcome. It’s propaganda from the media and people who run the sport (whose job is in part dependent on the appearance of fair play).

There’s been 4-5 calls vs marquee opponents over the last 10 years that shifted the balance of fair play. It seems intentional. And it’s dumb.

What ACC refs do is make the call for the opposition and then say it has to be overwhelming evidence to turn it over and usually don't. This happens way too frequently and is their go to.

The Clemson hit on Shrader was an anomaly and a quick reaction to throw the flag and of course changed due to overwhelming/conclusive "evidence".

I have been on the side that believes that the officiating is more inept than biased. The sport simply has too many rules and a horrible replay system. That said Saturday's punt spot was indefensible
and fuels the fire of conspiracy.

We aren't good enough for me to believe the ACC stays up at night thinking of ways to screw us, but Saturday was a win for those who think the league is out to get us.

I have been on the side that believes that the officiating is more inept than biased. The sport simply has too many rules and a horrible replay system. That said Saturday's punt spot was indefensible
and fuels the fire of conspiracy.

We aren't good enough for me to believe the ACC stays up at night thinking of ways to screw us, but Saturday was a win for those who think the league is out to get us.
and so was the saturday before. And we are good enough to pull these upsets, this year for sure (clemson at home for certain, UNC unlikely). Not next year and likely not for a long while in the new landscape of college football. That is why its so galling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom