The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time… | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time…

Every time I hear about how loyal they’ve been to Navy (which they are and yes I know the history) and then think how they don’t return the favor to the ACC, it makes me roll my eyes.

The PAC and the ACC got bamboozled by the B1G when they got distracted by the first alliance, all the time the B1G was plotting to take their best teams. The PAC has incurred a mortal blow, let it die.
Indeed, the Pac has been dealt a blow from which is can never recover to be taken seriously as a Major conference.

I can understand UNC leaving. But Duke has a great thing going where it currently is.
Without UNC, Dook's great thing begins to wither into no better than Wake. Even the many nationally prominent Dook non-revenue sports require UNC as their RIVAL in order to be what they have been.

In all fairness to us, Miami , Va Tech and Boston College left long before we did. It is of course true that we would have left if we were taken. But, we weren't and we didn't. And the demise of the Big east can also be laid at the feet of the Catholic basketball schools who wouldn't take Penn St back in the day. We left to protect our football program. Not just for cash.
Correct. The urban basketball schools refused to travel to PSU for basketball. That so infuriated Paterno that he came to want to destroy the BE. If the BE had taken PSU as its 10th, then Paterno would have been in partnership with Syracuse, BC, and Pitt and would have wanted to keep that foursome together for football when the time came.

The Alliance was severely undercut by the B10, who has faced limited scrutiny in the last week as to their back-handed dealings. Supposedly, the Bruins and Trojans approached the B10. I believe that. And I understand that Kevin Warren had to do what he had to do.

But ... this deal (just like the OU/Texas deal last summer) has created severe upheaval for ~30 other schools (from the ACC to the Big12 to the Pac12).

This prioritization for max money over (sometimes) winning (example: Maryland), tradition (Penn State), relationships (Syracuse), academic integrity (ACC, B10) is not what the masses want. They don't. The only folks that want this are the conference commissioners, maybe the university presidents and the ADs who will earn bonuses for revenue gained.

The masses do not want a JV NFL. They want college football. They want the traditional rivalries. They want the bands. They want the occasional excitement that comes with an intersectional contest that happens rarely (like when OU played a home-and-home with Tennessee ... now they'll play every other year or something close to that). They want to see Navy's wishbone against ND, etc.

This consolidation of power/$ is going to hinder Fall Saturdays for years to come. Not much different than this:

According to Institute for Policy Studies analysis of Forbes data, the combined wealth of all U.S. billionaires increased by $2.071 trillion (70.3 percent) between March 18, 2020 and October 15, 2021, from approximately $2.947 trillion to $5.019 trillion.

College football is radically different than it was 20 years ago and it is only getting worse. *Sigh*

Sounds inconsistent, and it might be, but I hope above all that SU has a seat at the table. And SU's hands have blood on them, too, as our departure was the tipping point in the demise of the Big East.
Your opening sentence is far too mild. What the Big Ten did is unprecedented for college sports in downright lying for insatiable greed. The SEC never publicly swore that it would not take any SWC or, later, Big 12 teams.

BYU is likely a non-starter with Cal Berkeley
DA, Boise might be too. SDSU is the prime West Coast G5 team I would add. No pro FB in San Diego County, so there is a chance to build something there.

How long should we care? Both parties benefited from the arrangement. That season assured we would never join the acc. The fans hated it.
All the way to the college football playoff. sigh...

DA, Boise might be too. SDSU is the prime West Coast G5 team I would add. No pro FB in San Diego County, so there is a chance to build something there.
Brand-new stadium in San Diego also. I think SDSU has great potential if they can get into the right conference affiliation.

Brand-new stadium in San Diego also. I think SDSU has great potential if they can get into the right conference affiliation.
35,000 seats. Decent media size. Large alumni base. Not competing with pro team.

Don't laugh...within 5 years I could see Relegation be a real thing
Premier League and B league
I was serious about that. The strong programs and/or brands are going into the SEC/B1G, the others into "B" leagues.

How long should we care? Both parties benefited from the arrangement. That season assured we would never join the acc. The fans hated it.

RuthersAl at least wasn’t a douche. I didn’t really care about ND one way or another (other than a coach killing a kid is kind of crappy) but this post just confirms why everyone thinks you’re scumbags.

35,000 seats. Decent media size. Large alumni base. Not competing with pro team.
I think it'll host the Holiday Bowl too.

Great place to visit for Christmas

I agree...hope it can get delayed for another 10-15 years...but greed rules
All the other leagues media agreements end in the next 2 years, I don't think the people making the decisions are going to let 1 league,the ACC, stand in their way.

Correct. The urban basketball schools refused to travel to PSU for basketball. That so infuriated Paterno that he came to want to destroy the BE. If the BE had taken PSU as its 10th, then Paterno would have been in partnership with Syracuse, BC, and Pitt and would have wanted to keep that foursome together for football when the time came.
This is not entirely accurate. I’ve posted this a million times. But hell, what’s once more…

In the late 70s, prior to the formation or the Big East, there was a sincere effort by the Eastern Indies to form an all sports conference. Penn State was one of the teams included. But PSU and Paterno did not want football to be included. He wanted a ND type deal - all sports but keep his precious FB separate and independent. The talks stalled. Dave Gavitt saw a unique opportunity and put together the subway schools. PSU was not invited, probably out of spite, but mostly because they didn’t fit the profile, AND their basketball sucked.

Yes it’s true that after a couple of years of the success of BE basketball, PSU and Paterno asked to be invited. There was even some support from Syracuse and others. They got voted down. Paterno never forgave the BE. But truth be told, it was PSU’s own greed and stubbornness that killed an all east conference. Things would be incredibly different for Eastern sports if not for PSU’s arrogance.

Well that sums it up!

Anyone who has been following this understands the ACC will not be adding any more teams as all the "brands" are gone except for ND. No other school left moves the bar enough to add more dollars so adding mouths to feed does nothing. So if you want to see the ACC stay intact until the GoR runs out hope that ND stays independent and doesn't join the B10.

Personally I don't care at this point. I am in favor of letting anyone who wants to go to leave and then backfilling with like minded institutions who do not want to be the NFL G-league. I have no interest in watching paid, minor league football.

It was doomed as Dasher said about a decade earlier by the Catholic schools.
In their defense, it was a basketball conference from its’ creation. What would adding Penn St do for those teams? Remember PSU’s basketball program was horrible back then. Like a Penn St supporter told me - Paterno wanted to lead an Eastern football conference and would have separated from the basketball onlies - he didn’t want a basketball centric conference anymore than they wanted a football one. He was convinced Penn St only entertained joining the Big East to attract other football programs and quickly separate.

In their defense, it was a basketball conference from its’ creation. What would adding Penn St do for those teams? Remember PSU’s basketball program was horrible back then. Like a Penn St supporter told me - Paterno wanted to lead an Eastern football conference and would have separated from the basketball onlies - he didn’t want a basketball centric conference anymore than they wanted a football one. He was convinced Penn St only entertained joining the Big East to attract other football programs and quickly separate.

Paterno was the AD right? Penn St ultimately made the right move for Penn St because ultimately the money would have pushed them to the big 10. All of this feels inevitable.

Their football is too good to be held out of the big money league even if sliding doors scenario happened