The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Alliance 2.0, but for realsies this time…

In all fairness to us, Miami , Va Tech and Boston College left long before we did. It is of course true that we would have left if we were taken. But, we weren't and we didn't. And the demise of the Big east can also be laid at the feet of the Catholic basketball schools who wouldn't take Penn St back in the day. We left to protect our football program. Not just for cash.
Well it was going to be Syracuse until the Virginia Tech political thing. We would have been among the first departures. So we’re as complicit as anyone else from the Big East.

I don't know why everyone has such strong opinions

Alliance, partnership, whatever It's all temporary it's all made for tv, none of it matters, it's just games where we can watch orange shirts maybe

what's so holy about a conference anyway. call it divisions within the packack conference

Hope this doesn't trigger a loophole in the GOR that allows schools to leave.

The ACC and PAC should be proactive.

ACC add UCF, Memphis, Cincy, WVU, Houston

PAC add remaining seven Big 12 teams plus BYU

Gets ACC, four pods of five

Both sign an alliance with championship game rotating between Vegas and Atlanta (even / odd years)

Last edited:
In all fairness to us, Miami , Va Tech and Boston College left long before we did. It is of course true that we would have left if we were taken. But, we weren't and we didn't. And the demise of the Big east can also be laid at the feet of the Catholic basketball schools who wouldn't take Penn St back in the day. We left to protect our football program. Not just for cash.
Syracuse, Miami and BC were very far along in 2003 with the ACC. Swofford and other ACC power brokers thought they had enough votes and were ready to move. But word leaked out publicly before all the details were nailed down, and the Virginia Governor intervened on behalf of Virginia Tech, which blew up the process. You know the story of course.

Last edited:

Both sign an alliance with championship game rotating between Vegas and Atlanta (even / odd years)
How does this solve the problem? Yes, schools have a place to be but really, they have that now. Do those new leagues get that much more $$$? I don't know.

Duke possible Ivy league expansion
I think the Ivy League is looking really good right now: student oriented, geographically compact, common cause, great rivalies, athletics in proper proportion to University mission. Since I don't think SU will be included or succeed in a Pro-college environment, I would like SU to consider being in a similar self contained NE league with Boston College, WVU, etc.

How does this solve the problem? Yes, schools have a place to be but really, they have that now. Do those new leagues get that much more $$$? I don't know.
You add Houston and Orlando for ACC

Conference winner from each conference play each other, or top four from each division play each other in a tourney style

ACC 1 v PAC 2
ACC 2 v PAC 1

Then you have a final plus bowls

One ACC pod of five vs each other and another pod is nine games, plus one vs PAC plus 2 other OOC games.

IDK man, I'm just throwing spit against a wall hoping something sticks

You add Houston and Orlando for ACC

Conference winner from each conference play each other, or top four from each division play each other in a tourney style

ACC 1 v PAC 2
ACC 2 v PAC 1

Then you have a final plus bowls

One ACC pod of five vs each other and another pod is nine games, plus one vs PAC plus 2 other OOC games.

IDK man, I'm just throwing spit against a wall hoping something sticks
I wasn't being critical. I have no idea how this will all shake out. 2 leagues will get a boat load of money but the other schools aren't going to just give up and say D-2 here we come. Things in life very rarely work out as expected.

Please, adding these schools do NOTHING for the ACC in terms of value. People that keep posting these ridicules additions only make the ACC the New Big East.

Please, adding these schools do NOTHING for the ACC in terms of value. People that keep posting these ridicules additions only make the ACC the New Big East.
Well they aren't adding Penn State and Ohio State to ACC.

And Georgia and Alabama aren't leaving the SEC.

So you add what you can and hope to survive or try to pretty yourself up and whore yourself out to make sure you get picked at the end of the night and don't go home alone.

The ultimate power move would be the ACC going for OSU / PSU and Bama / Georgia plus LSU and adding them to the ACC and making a new conference or league.

This is part of the reason why I think the ACC would be better off adding 7 of the remaining PAC-12 teams, forming a western division, and creating a "mega conference". Adding the likes of Oregon, Washington, ASU, Arizona, Stanford, and Cal gets you into some BIG markets suddenly and those markets are the key to driving up the per-program TV $ that I believe is going to be needed to incentivize programs like Clemson to stick.

Well they aren't adding Penn State and Ohio State to ACC.

And Georgia and Alabama aren't leaving the SEC.

So you add what you can and hope to survive or try to pretty yourself up and whore yourself out to make sure you get picked at the end of the night and don't go home alone.
Why add more schools that will bring 0$ to the ACC. ESPN is not paying more for that content (those teams) and now the current ACC schools get less money. If they are going to add teams it needs to be schools like Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stamford. Travel is no big deal now and they add $ value to the ACC.

Why add more schools that will bring 0$ to the ACC. ESPN is not paying more for that content (those teams) and now the current ACC schools get less money. If they are going to add teams it needs to be schools like Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stamford. Travel is no big deal now and they add $ value to the ACC.
Travel is a very big deal

Travel may be no big deal for the teams/players but it could be a very big deal for the fans. How many fans are likely to make coast to coast trips on a regular basis?

Travel may be no big deal for the teams/players but it could be a very big deal for the fans. How many fans are likely to make coast to coast trips on a regular basis?
On the other hand a lot of the western markets such as AZ have no leaves to rake...?

Fans making it to away games is very low on a schools priority list.