The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

The Annual Bubble Discussion Thread - 2021 Version

Heck just remember how much uncertainty there was about this season even being played.

The tournament could be a mess but I'm happy we made it to Selection Sunday and we have a solid chance to get any bid.

Who also remembers that weird nervous feeling of being a #1 seed, but potentially the first #1 to lose to a #16 (at the time, shout out Virginia for changing those dynamics!). I didn’t like that feeling either, haha! Almost preferred the 2-3 seed slot to not have to worry about it...

If i remember correctly the final 4 team was a huge surprise that no on expected. We just didnt have the resume. Yes they took advantage of being in and went on a run... but i remember being shocked when theyre name wad called. And a 10th seed at that. The "experts" questioned it and even us fans didnt expect to make it. I remember that was year bracket got leaked and i was thinking it was fake... then the selection show hit and it was identical and i called my father saying omg they actuallt put us in the tourney
what I’m saying is that during the conference tourney week and the weekend of selection Sunday, a lot of the bracketologists and fans had started taking a fresh look at the bracket and were pointing out how our resume was better than a bunch of other mid major and P5 teams, and there seemed to be momentum building that they’d been overlooking us and that the road and neutral wins could put us over the top. Yes, the 10 seed was a bit surprising. But I recall thinking that team was a tourney team and it was crazy how people were discounting us because of a difficult end-of-season schedule where we had several losses to very good teams. Anyhow, that’s how I remember it.

According to this ESPN article, Duke, Kansas & Virginia are all eligible to play in the tourney

According to this ESPN article, Duke, Kansas & Virginia are all eligible to play in the tourney

Duke doesn't deserve it ... But

They have a better resume than Drake and Wichita State

Committee puts them in play in over one of them

Duke?? Why is anyone even writing about their eligibility unless they're referring to the NIT.

ESPN JB will be on! Also Reece and Bilas think we are in!! Bilas said it with confidence

ESPN JB will be on! Also Reece and Bilas think we are in!! Bilas said it with confidence
If JB is already scheduled to be on the NCAA show on espn that’s a good sign

Disagree. There were never any years we got in when we didn’t deserve it. The year we really got screwed was 2007.

The committee has actually been quite generous to us in the "Bubble Era" of Syracuse (2016 to now).

Using the Matrix as a proxy, we were the 2nd team out in 2016 and the 3rd team out in 2018. And the committee put us in. We had decent cases those years but so did others that missed. 2016 was a jumbled mess on Selection Sunday with many contenders. In general the lesson from the past 5 years is P5 or AAC gets respect on the line, but mid majors never get benefit of the doubt.

If JB is already scheduled to be on the NCAA show on espn that’s a good sign
It college basketball live. Not sure that changes your point. Definitely going to talk SU. Hopefully some good nuggets.

Exactly.

People forget that many were writing off the season a month ago, questioning whethere we would even make the NIT.
For sure, it’s all relative though. I mean we are sitting here talking about if we might be a double digit seed or avoid a play in game. Sure would be nice to see those top 25 rankings again next year. To the point originally, great way for us to end our year and shame on creighton and Colorado :)

what I’m saying is that during the conference tourney week and the weekend of selection Sunday, a lot of the bracketologists and fans had started taking a fresh look at the bracket and were pointing out how our resume was better than a bunch of other mid major and P5 teams, and there seemed to be momentum building that they’d been overlooking us and that the road and neutral wins could put us over the top. Yes, the 10 seed was a bit surprising. But I recall thinking that team was a tourney team and it was crazy how people were discounting us because of a difficult end-of-season schedule where we had several losses to very good teams. Anyhow, that’s how I remember it.

It wasn't a fresh look in 2016. It was just that the committee was faced with one of the toughest selection Sunday decisions in years with several worthy mid majors (talking conferences below the AAC). They just decided to give an fyou to the mid-majors and went with all the bigger programs.

Syracuse got in easily because the committee decided to get lazy and just give the finger to St. Bonaventure, St. Mary's, San Diego St and Monmouth . It was probably the worst job a committee has ever done... bar none. It was criminal. Not saying all of those teams should have got in. But some should have. The fact that Vandebilt and Tulsa got in above those schools because they had one or two more Q1 or Q2 wins was ridiculous when they had so many more opportunities.

BTW, I still think Syracuse deserved to get in. But the fact that Vandy and Tulsa got in over all the others was laughable. And that allowed us to rise a few spots on the s-curve.

Can someone please recap what he says. Sitting in Tully’s having lunch and it’s on all the TV’s with no sound.

It wasn't a fresh look in 2016. It was just that the committee was faced with one of the toughest selection Sunday decisions in years with several worthy mid majors (talking conferences below the AAC). They just decided to give an fyou to the mid-majors and went with all the bigger programs.

Syracuse got in easily because the committee decided to get lazy and just give the finger to St. Bonaventure, St. Mary's, San Diego St and Monmouth . It was probably the worst job a committee has ever done... bar none. It was criminal. Not saying all of those teams should have got in. But some should have. The fact that Vandebilt and Tulsa got in above those schools because they had one or two more Q1 or Q2 wins was ridiculous when they had so many more opportunities.

BTW, I still think Syracuse deserved to get in. But the fact that Vandy and Tulsa got in over all the others was laughable. And that allowed us to rise a few spots on the s-curve.
Battle 4 Atlantis was HUGE for us that year. As was win @Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom