The Bench... | Syracusefan.com

The Bench...

Forza Azzurri

All American
with apologies to Harry Doyle:

In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the threads on the board, you haven't, JB has actually managed to sub here and there and is threatening to climb out of his 6.5 man rotation...

BR801 made a post the other day in the Buddy thread about how absolutist posts don't seem to age well...

I'm sure I could go back in time and find dozens (hundreds?) of posts stating that JB refuses to use his bench or has no idea how to use his bench.

Yet this year, he is going as much as nine deep and I, for one, find it interesting how he is mixing and matching personnel this year depending upon time, score, situation, opponent and how that player is playing...the only true constant in the line-up at almost all times is Battle.

Sometimes the starters still play iron man minutes (Hughes playing 45 against Duke and Brissett playing 43) but Hughes only played 25 and Brissett only played 28 aginst Pitt while PC played 26. Against Clemson, Sidibe played 16 minutes...

Yet another myth debunked?

truth remains JB's bench is still more of a penalty box than a weapon to rest starters or develop talent.
not playing to his standards you sit. not really a rotation but more a recital where 1 gaffe you get the hook.

2019-01-21 18.40.33.png

15 team league . top 12 minutes played ACC include battle,brissett,hughes. frank is #45. above zion.

truth remains JB's bench is still more of a penalty box than a weapon to rest starters or develop talent.
not playing to his standards you sit. not really a rotation but more a recital where 1 gaffe you get the hook.

This is where your narrative doesn't fit the stats...everyone's minutes are down this year.

3 man rotation at the 5
2 man rotation at the 4
2 man rotation at the 3
2 man rotation at the 2
3 man rotation at the 1

Other than Battle, who plays depends on the criteria I listed above.

not playing to his standards you sit.

Yeah, God Forbid you sit someone who is not playing well.

Uh Coach, Player X had 7 TOs, no assists, no points, no rebounds and went 0-10 from the floor. Whydja leave him in there?

Easy, Tbone says we need to develop talent so I am letting him develop. By the time we get to the CBI, he'll be a great player...

I cannot honestly believe you wrote that and then posted it.

Last edited:
sliding starters to different spots on the court isn't rotating per se. fact. 3 of the top 12 mpg.

Cav's 1 player top 20. duke 1 player top 20. Vtech 3 players top 20. N.C. 0 top 20. cards 1 top 20.
again we got 3 top 12.

Cav's 1 player top 20. duke 1 player top 20. Vtech 3 players top 20. N.C. 0 top 20. cards 1 top 20.
again we got 3 top 12.
Is there a strong negative correlation between the number of players a team has in the top 20 in minutes played in conference and a team's winning percentage that I don't know about?

Is there a strong negative correlation between the number of players a team has in the top 20 in minutes played in conference and a team's winning percentage that I don't know about?

We should be playing the “turnover machine” and the “bad shooter” more to develop them. Duh. Because...GET BOEHEIM.

UVA and Duke are bad examples. Both have won numerous blowouts, where their starters get to spend extended minutes on the bench in garbage time.

I tried to make that point to him awhile ago. It’s hopeless. 24/7 “get Boeheim” mode.

again we got 3 top 12.
Ok. So we are playing more people and the starters are playing fewer minutes and you are still not happy.

What exactly would make you happy? 10 guys playing 20 minutes each?

And what exactly is your point regarding the distribution of minutes? Would we be a better team with a better record at this point in the season if we played with your optimized minutes?

You keep referring to it but there is no point attached to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom