The bigger problem | Syracusefan.com

The bigger problem

kcsu

Living Legend
Can JB and this staff recruit? So far the results have been dismal. We seem to be behind on everyone of our top recruits. The number of offers we extend is anemic. We are an international brand yet we recruit regionally...

Can JB and this staff recruit? So far the results have been dismal. We seem to be behind on everyone of our top recruits. The number of offers we extend is anemic. We are an international brand yet we recruit regionally...
Not that this whole situation doesn’t suck...but 5 hours ago we had a loaded class coming in...and now they can’t recruit?

Are we in a dead period? If not, sure seems we are with the lack of action/news.

This summer better be one where the staff grinds grind and grinds some more. Even before all this, we knew the 2019 class had to be big. So many open spots and available minutes to be had. If the stafff can't get it done over the next 6-8 months, what exactly can we expect going forward?

We didnt have a loaded class. We had one kid the staff recruited. Griff brought Baz JB and staff had ZERO to do with it. Buddy is family .So who did we land?
Loaded was the term being thrown around here. I don’t think we were loaded...but with Bazely and Carey, if you didn’t think that duo was very good I don’t know what to tell you. Landing those two was a huge deal and proves we can still recruit.

Don’t get me wrong this one stings a whole lot, but to say we can’t recruit is a bit of an over reaction.

We rarely go after/or get the Top 10-15 kids and when we finally do, after a few years of mediocre classes, he bounces before he ever plays a game.

You can't bet we hit on an Oshae Brissett every class.

Recruiting needs to be better. Period. This was going to be the class to get that ball rolling and now it's down to two guys - one high level recruit and our coaches son.

We still have open schollys and have one guy committed for '19.

This is a problem. I'm not saying they can't recruit but I am saying they need to do a lot better. We're starting to get into "whiskey tango foxtrot" territory.

Loaded was the term being thrown around here. I don’t think we were loaded...but with Bazely and Carey, if you didn’t think that duo was very good I don’t know what to tell you. Landing those two was a huge deal and proves we can still recruit.

Don’t get me wrong this one stings a whole lot, but to say we can’t recruit is a bit of an over reaction.
Loaded in comparison. To our last couple of lackluster classes. Now we are down to one great recruit and and a solid one.

Next year's roster was going to be loaded. We had 8 guys who could come back plus a transfer. We were adding three interesting recruits. But 4 of the 5 spots were going to be filled from the guys we already had.

We didnt have a loaded class. We had one kid the staff recruited. Griff brought Baz JB and staff had ZERO to do with it. Buddy is family .So who did we land?

You do have a point there. Bazely somehow fell in our lap. I don’t think Boeheim went to OH. Carey a checkmark. Buddy family ties.

The number of offers has been low because of the sanctions. That was and is changing, now that we're almost back to full shollies, but it was a direct result of the sanctions. Baz and Carey made this a top 20 recruiting class on their own. Tough to predict Baz would lose his mind.

Recruiting regionally is something JB and his staff have done since he started in the 70's. Lucky for us, the region we recruit is also one of the deepest, most talented regions year-in and year-out.

We rarely go after/or get the Top 10-15 kids and when we finally do, after a few years of mediocre classes, he bounces before he ever plays a game.

One your first point, I agree and it makes it even more unlikely JB will go after guys in that range - there appears to be almost zero payoff for the expenditure.

On point #2: we have done well there. OB, Malachi, Battle, Lydon, Ennis, CJ Fair - all guys not ranked very high (meaning not Top 10-15) who were studs for us most got 1st round NBA draft status after a very short stay.

The program just continues to exist in this hideous middle ground: not getting elite one and dones, but continually losing guys to the NBA who are just not quite good enough to make us elite.

One your first point, I agree and it makes it even more unlikely JB will go after guys in that range - there appears to be almost zero payoff for the expenditure.

On point #2: we have done well there. OB, Malachi, Battle, Lydon, Ennis, CJ Fair - all guys not ranked very high (meaning not Top 10-15) who were studs for us most got 1st round NBA draft status after a very short stay.

The program just continues to exist in this hideous middle ground: not getting elite one and dones, but continually losing guys to the NBA who are just not quite good enough to make us elite.

I hear ya. Those guys were more truly complementary pieces for us though. Not even the best players on their respective teams, IMO. Need better players around those guys you mentioned. Some like Ennis/Malachi/Lydon became 1st round picks but not really coveted guys. We could only do so much running CJ ISO stuff. Boeheim’s offense needs some really good ISO players. Otherwise we’re going to keep grinding out games/stalling on offense, holding on for dear life offensively in games while the defense keeps us in it.

our last two big recruits were players that committed elsewhere first ( battle, bazely) and now that one of them changed his commitment again, we are butt hurt. Get over yourselves.

Should be amended to read: Can they recruit in the post-Hop era with a head coaching situation that can be negatively recruited against?

It starts with the assistants who are on the trails, right? Boeheims role has always been the closer but it just seems like we’re not really in the hunt or being considered by a lot of kids in 2019. Moyer was gmac’s most prized recruit to actually step on the court in all the years he’s been on the staff. I think that those results should speak for themselves. It remains to be seen if Carey or goodine lives up to his billing. Until then Gerry is batting .000 for what we need from him. Remember he is being groomed by JB to be the lead recruiter. That scares me just based on the results.

Last edited:
Should be amended to read: Can they recruit in the post-Hop era with a head coaching situation that can be negatively recruited against?

It starts with the assistants who are on the trails, right? Boeheims role has always been the closer but it just seems like we’re not really in the hunt or being considered by a lot of kids in 2019. Moyer was gmac’s most prized recruit to actually step on the court in all the years he’s been on the staff. I think that those results should speak for themselves. It remains to be seen if Carey or goodine lives up to his billing. Until then Gerry is batting .000 for what we need from him. Remember he is being groomed by JB to be the lead recruiter. That scares me just based on the results.

You leave out Sidibe.

The number of offers has been low because of the sanctions. That was and is changing, now that we're almost back to full shollies, but it was a direct result of the sanctions. Baz and Carey made this a top 20 recruiting class on their own. Tough to predict Baz would lose his mind.

Recruiting regionally is something JB and his staff have done since he started in the 70's. Lucky for us, the region we recruit is also one of the deepest, most talented regions year-in and year-out.
Actually Jim has shrunk his recruiting from a National to Regional basis. My issue is the lack of offers which has less to do with sanctions and is more of an approach, eggs in one basket thing which has hurt us with QG and others.

Recruiting needs to be better. Period. This was going to be the class to get that ball rolling and now it's down to two guys - one high level recruit and our coaches son.

We still have open schollys and have one guy committed for '19.

This is a problem. I'm not saying they can't recruit but I am saying they need to do a lot better. We're starting to get into "whiskey tango foxtrot" territory.
If you don't know that there are literally $100,000.00 reasons we don't chase certain top 10 kids, I don't know what to say.
Alos, it's recruiting, not a draft. I guarantee there are kids they reach out to who pretty quickly say thanks, but no thanks.
Then there are the rest.

If you don't know that there are literally $100,000.00 reasons we don't chase certain top 10 kids, I don't know what to say.
Alos, it's recruiting, not a draft. I guarantee there are kids they reach out to who pretty quickly say thanks, but no thanks.
Then there are the rest.
Ok. I'm sure there are kids who say "thanks, but no thanks" to us. That's a problem lol. It's not an excuse.

You do have a point there. Bazely somehow fell in our lap. I don’t think Boeheim went to OH. Carey a checkmark. Buddy family ties.
Also, re: Carey, remember he was down to just SU and Miami and then the FBI story broke, which threw everyone into a tizzy, and he committed to Syracuse like a week later.

You leave out Sidibe.
Again, jury is out on Sidibe.

I think everyone gives a pass for the Bazley disaster, although kcsu’s alleged info is very concerning. I feel like some are trying to get the truth out and others are trying to spread misinformation. Frustrating trying to make sense of it all.

But re: recruiting success or lack therof, we make it sound like Duke, Uk and Ku get all the top 25 kids every year. Reality is that there are probably 10 schools signing at least 1 elite prospect in any given year. We should be able to nab a top 25 kid every other class, at least. We had a 4 year stretch where we kicked it up a notch from 07-11. It’s been crickets since then. We’re landing 1 top 50 kid per class at this rate. That’s good enough for middle of the ACC at best.

Bottom line is we wouldn’t be panicking about Bazley if we had a track record of bringing elite talent more then once a decade. And let’s not split hairs about what’s considered “elite”... the drift is clear.

Again, jury is out on Sidibe.

I think everyone gives a pass for the Bazley disaster, although kcsu’s alleged info is very concerning. I feel like some are trying to get the truth out and others are trying to spread misinformation. Frustrating trying to make sense of it all.

But re: recruiting success or lack therof, we make it sound like Duke, Uk and Ku get all the top 25 kids every year. Reality is that there are probably 10 schools signing at least 1 elite prospect in any given year. We should be able to nab a top 25 kid every other class, at least. We had a 4 year stretch where we kicked it up a notch from 07-11. It’s been crickets since then. We’re landing 1 top 50 kid per class at this rate. That’s good enough for middle of the ACC at best.

Bottom line is we wouldn’t be panicking about Bazley if we had a track record of bringing elite talent more then once a decade. And let’s not split hairs about what’s considered “elite”... the drift is clear.

Again? You didn’t even mention Sidibe.

Which part of kcsu’s info? He’s been all over the board and tossed out 99 reasons.

Also, re: Carey, remember he was down to just SU and Miami and then the FBI story broke, which threw everyone into a tizzy, and he committed to Syracuse like a week later.

Are we making the leap that we lose if the FBI thing doesn't happen. If that is the case you are just trying to discount things.

Are we making the leap that we lose if the FBI thing doesn't happen. If that is the case you are just trying to discount things.
No, I don’t know what he was thinking. But the possibility is there that his decision got a whole lot easier.

No, I don’t know what he was thinking. But the possibility is there that his decision got a whole lot easier.

I've worked in sales my whole career. When it comes down to the last two companies bidding on a job, client etc, there is one thing to understand. both likely deserve to be there and the smallest thing can tilt the scale in one direction or another. did the Miami deal possibly help seal the deal? sure lets go with that. does it make JB or the staff better or worse recruiters either way? i dont think so. for all we know he was Cuse bound the whole way. To bring this up now simply serves to try to discount their ability on the heels of a freaking 17 year old trying to be a trailblazer in getting kids to go straight to the NBA.

Again? You didn’t even mention Sidibe.

Which part of kcsu’s info? He’s been all over the board and tossed out 99 reasons.
To play devil's advocate, let's say Sidibe recovers and becomes a pretty solid player for us. Let's say Carey and Goodine are also starter material and play 2-3 years before testing the waters. That's good. But correct me if I'm wrong - if GMAC is being groomed to be the lead recruiter -- is that "good enough"? My argument was that both his past performance and assumed title don't align with what the program needs to churn out a top 4 ACC contender.

I know there's a sense of overreaction to the Bazley situation, but looking beyond next year, he would've been a temporary distraction from the current trends. Program needs someone like Hop or Weaver to energize the recruiting situation. Someone with a history of proven results and rock solid connections. There were many who were concerned about the direction of things even before Baz decommitted.