The Black Hole Years | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Black Hole Years

Don’t some so called experts here and there claim Final 4s are all that matters? Well, to get there one needs to be able to score not hold on for dear life in games. Pace of play is a separate issue. Gotta score. The likelihood of your scenarios are pretty bleak, though.

We won an elite 8 game with a 30 win teams scoring 55 points. More than one style of play is possible to win games.

We won an elite 8 game with a 30 win teams scoring 55 points. More than one style of play is possible to win games.

I know. It was horrendous. There was nothing positive offensively gained from that game, IMO. 38% overall. 5-17 from 3. 63% from the line. 41-50 on the boards. The defense won that combined with Marquette being completely inept that game as well.

Ok..so here is our "black hole" compared to the black holes of some other programs...other than Team 4, the numbers are actually pretty comparable...want to take a guess at who they might be?

View attachment 123652

Was Team 1 'Nova?
OK, I just checked - no, but - as recently as 2011-2012, they went 13-19.
Remember when Jay Wright was a choke artist who could never win the big one? :rolleyes:

Here's another team that has had TWO "black hole" periods, just since Y2K. Can you name them?
14-15, 15-14, 19-12. AND
6-25, 10-21, 12-20.

Now that there friends, is a BLACK HOLE or 2 for ya!!

Ok..so here is our "black hole" compared to the black holes of some other programs...other than Team 4, the numbers are actually pretty comparable...want to take a guess at who they might be?

View attachment 123652

Team 1 = Duke
Team 2 = North Carolina
Team 3 = Kentucky
Team 4 = Kansas

The bluest of the blue bloods...so, if the last few seasons constitutes a black hole, consider that nobody is immune to "rough" stretches...

Of course, you could always switch your allegiance to these guys...

upload_2018-2-27_14-49-16.png

They almost never lose...

program had an amazing run. despite a "terrible" four years for the fanbase, we have survived with our streak of winning seasons intact.

sure things could be better, sure there are a lot of legitimate jb criticisms, but we have been in survival mode and made it through. next season we will finally be on equal footing with some of the cheating acc peer programs that have done so with impunity.

as others in this thread have said, next season we will have reinforcements. lets at least wait until then. no true fan should quit on this program.

Don't really give a crap about a winning record streak. Losing 14 games and missing the tourney or losing 16 and missing it is basically the same thing to me. Losing 25 obviously would be a trainwreck but I give no craps about that streak especially when there is so much fluff built into the record early in the season. We're exactly a .500 team in the ACC over the last 3 years whether or not we're beating Cornell and Directional Texas State in October is fairly meaningless.

He would play the 3 and Brissett would
Play the 4. Marek and Moyer wouldn’t play. FWIW every advanced metric says he’s better than any player we have.

Get out of here with actual stats and science!

Sorry I don’t agree. There have been some exciting games, wins and losses. But at a breaking point? You must not be a football fan...

Watching us play has gotten painful. Be honest with yourself.

Don't really give a crap about a winning record streak. Losing 14 games and missing the tourney or losing 16 and missing it is basically the same thing to me. Losing 25 obviously would be a trainwreck but I give no craps about that streak especially when there is so much fluff built into the record early in the season. We're exactly a .500 team in the ACC over the last 3 years whether or not we're beating Cornell and Directional Texas State in October is fairly meaningless.

There are many ways to take pride in our program as a sports fan. Owning records is one way to do that. Also, it sure is nice to be able to say to recruits that no matter what happens we will have a winning season.

You should give a crap because trainwrecks beget more trainwrecks. You think it is hard to re-build from where we are now, just watch what is in front for a program that has fallen far like Pitt.

If the team had quit, maybe what you are saying would make sense, but these guys bust it every time out. Maybe they don't have the talent of some past Cuse teams, but they deserve our support and our respect. The season isn't over yet, but maybe for you it already is.

You have a lot of sour grapes, this team deserves better fans than you seem to be.

There are many ways to take pride in our program as a sports fan. Owning records is one way to do that. Also, it sure is nice to be able to say to recruits that no matter what happens we will have a winning season.

You should give a crap because trainwrecks beget more trainwrecks. You think it is hard to re-build from where we are now, just watch what is in front for a program that has fallen far like Pitt.

If the team had quit, maybe what you are saying would make sense, but these guys bust it every time out. Maybe they don't have the talent of some past Cuse teams, but they deserve our support and our respect. The season isn't over yet, but maybe for you it already is.

You have a lot of sour grapes, this team deserves better fans than you seem to be.

Are you a psychologist? If not, maybe you should think about it. Sure hopped to a lot of conclusions based on me saying that I don't really care if we lose 14 games instead of 16 if the end result is missing the tournament. Even took the time to specifically mention that losing 25 games or something of that nature would be a trainwreck but you still couldn't help yourself.

See lots of people on this board post crap like that to accumulate likes instead of acknowledging anything actually said.

I've been frustrated this year, but I'm willing to bet that winning isn't enough for some of the perpetual complainers.

If we go 25-6 next year and say 13-5 in the ACC some of the complainers we have now will still be complaining that those games are won if we are winning in the 60's instead of the 80's.

I hope I'm not lumped into this but is be ecstatic for 13-5. It would be a drastic change since we joined the league.

Fab and Rak didn't improve? Interesting.

Fab was coached by Fine, Christmas was not. so whatever you aretrying to say is mixed at best. Still has nothing to do with the point of my original post.

Are you a psychologist? If not, maybe you should think about it. Sure hopped to a lot of conclusions based on me saying that I don't really care if we lose 14 games instead of 16 if the end result is missing the tournament. Even took the time to specifically mention that losing 25 games or something of that nature would be a trainwreck but you still couldn't help yourself.

See lots of people on this board post crap like that to accumulate likes instead of acknowledging anything actually said.

"Don't really give a crap about a winning record streak. Losing 14 games and missing the tourney or losing 16 and missing it is basically the same thing to me."

re-read your own words & you tell me what i am mis-interpreting.

"Don't really give a crap about a winning record streak. Losing 14 games and missing the tourney or losing 16 and missing it is basically the same thing to me."

re-read your own words & you tell me what i am mis-interpreting.

Umm...maybe every single word based on your response.

Rakeem Christmas improved as much over the course of his career as any SU big man, IMO.

Coleman unfortunately was wrecked by injuries.

I think those are the only four year big guys we’ve had since Bernie.

Chukwu has been here two full years into his third(almost over) and still is making fundamental big man errors. I give a pass to Sidibe still early and injuies. Not that it has anythihing to do with the point of my original post.

You mention "you're what your record says you are" yet you call SU's true colors based on just some limited time frame. JBs/SUs normal record is around 24-8ish. And yes, it could be cyclical, and if so wouldn't you then expect the cycle to start coming back up? To what many of us would consider SU's true colors.

And yes, JB is captain of the ship and as such gets heat for all of it. But in light of your Final Four exclusionary clause, do you really get to saddle JB with Hop's 5 losses during that season?

Maybe you should include one's entire quote(s) vs. being selective, but it's apparent your intent is to be somewhat aggressive, at least that's how you're coming across based upon your responses and focus.

If you go back to my original response, it was in regards to a final four run in the midst of sanctions, and, albeit wonderful, it was just 4 games. That's what I was specifically referring to, 4 games over the past 4 years. And, that over the past 4 seasons in its totality of conference games played and overall record, what we've been in that span of time is a better reflection of who we have been in the ACC...or our true colors in that extended time frame, not "some limited time frame" of just those 4 games. I never said this encompasses JB's tenure of 40 plus years being our true colors, again, just the past 4. Capiche?

I hope I'm not lumped into this but is be ecstatic for 13-5. It would be a drastic change since we joined the league.

Wasn’t even thinking of your handle my man! I’m not even suggesting we will play that slow or have that good of a team, but I’m smart enough to know people will complain about the style of play no matter what our record is. We scored a combined 110 points in 2012 beating Louisville and I still remember people being exasperated here. It’s never good enough to just win. Complainers will still complain.

The Washington kid that went to Minnesota!

Wait, just checked and he’s averaging 8 and 2 and shooting 36% for a 15-16 team. Should’ve figured he’s not doing much since nobody posts about him anymore.

The staff liked Jelly-Bean Washington better than Matt Coleman, his #'s are not great either, but both of these PG's will be solid, QG's #'s have gotten better and i have watched a few of the games, he is no where near as good as I expected for sure not as good based on 80 pages of posts , Coleman & QG are running with top 5-10 draft players, #'s should be much better. Just saying

but then, syracusefan is not the place to go for either intellectualism or honesty, is it?

Just a suggestion: you should form an off-shoot of Syracusefan.com for more intellectually sophisticated posters. You guys can wear outfits like this while discussing the 2-3 zone, etc.

178-regalia image 6.jpg

Wasn’t even thinking of your handle my man! I’m not even suggesting we will play that slow or have that good of a team, but I’m smart enough to know people will complain about the style of play no matter what our record is. We scored a combined 110 points in 2012 beating Louisville and I still remember people being exasperated here. It’s never good enough to just win. Complainers will still complain.

He’s talking about me. Well there’s a flip -side to this saga. Winning rock fights and continuing to be poor to average in the halfcourt is just not that sustainable, IMO. I don’t care how good the defense is. I’ll be disappointed to see more of that next season.

He’s talking about me. Well there’s a flip -side to this saga. Winning rock fights and continuing to be poor to average in the halfcourt is just not that sustainable, IMO. I don’t care how good the defense is. I’ll be disappointed to see more of that next season.

Actually I was thinking of FrancoPizza, but feel free to join his party.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom