The brag about my kid’s athletic performance thread. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The brag about my kid’s athletic performance thread.

Well...
Tonight my little guy got to play a last minute planned scrimmage against a CNS team. They won, and he had 3 goals and 2 assists.

WHILE I SAT IN THE CAR BECAUSE PARENTS WERE NOT ALLOWED IN DUE TO EFFN’ COVID.

My kid plays on the the #3 team in the state (should be #2 but they wouldn't allow Rutland to travel and play any real teams this year) and gets photographed for the paper frequently.

Here's an example.

1616071022192.png

My boy is the skinny one in blue to the right. Pretty sure that picture is actually from last year's state semi-finals since there are actual fans in the stands and he's taken to wearing long sleeves this year. He had 18 in that game.

My daughter had her first game last night against West Genny. Won 3-1. Last year in her first season, she could only serve the underhand way which is allowed in modified. Last night she served about twenty times, all overhand, and only put one in the net. That’s progress!!

My daughter’s bracket is in the 99.9th percentile on ESPN. (Same basketball-playing daughter from the first page of this thread.)

My boy has state D1 semi-finals tomorrow night. He’s emerged as the steadiest defensive player, leader on the boards, and best three point shooter.

The boy and his teammates held off a rough Rutland crew last night to advance to the state finals on Sunday. Rough game for him offensively, but his defense was very good and his rebounding was great

My son has always had a brilliant stick, and at 11 can pretty comfortably use both hands. His trouble as with many, is his killer instinct, or ability to just "get after it". In the last week, his coach and assistant in separate unsolicited discussions have made a point to tell me that he all of a sudden has seemingly turned the corner and is "getting after it". The switch has been flipped. Love it.

Complete gut punch of a weekend here. Unfortunately the boy’s high school career has ended on a loss. Blowout at that. We couldn’t get on track and they didn’t miss.

Played 3 games Sunday at the Upstate lacrosse Tournament, this year held at Everest Park in Auburn. Team went 2-1, with two blow-out wins, one being against the Akwesashne. My son had 3 goals and unofficially 4 or 5 assists. He is growing into that attack that sees the cutter very well. He has an ability to feed that seems almost a detriment to other 12 year olds who don't see it coming. He will end his playing days someday with more assists than goals for sure. Great to get out there and watch these kids again. Most of these boys he has been playing with since kindergarten. They are finishing their last year (6th grade) of our youth league and will be trying out for modified in the spring.:confused:

Played in the Lax Jam today at Jones rd. Boys went 1-3, but my son had 5 goals in the first game. One of those games where everything goes as planned. The other three were hard fought but we had three boys out of the lineup today so we had a few newbies that hadn't played with us before. Good way to spend Father’s Day nonetheless.

Played four at the 1812 Shootout in Sackets Harbor yesterday. What a beautiful day in a beautiful setting. Team went 3-1, beating Watertown, Johnson City, and South Jefferson, and losing to a good Hamburg team. Not sure what they’re feeding the kids in Hamburg. Again, accomplishing this without three of our middies, and replacement players on the roster. They finished in third place for the 5/6 division. My son had a grand total of 7 goals on the day, and countless assists.
then all the boys just got to be boys together at Southwick. Perfect day.

Played four at the 1812 Shootout in Sackets Harbor yesterday. What a beautiful day in a beautiful setting. Team went 3-1, beating Watertown, Johnson City, and South Jefferson, and losing to a good Hamburg team. Not sure what they’re feeding the kids in Hamburg. Again, accomplishing this without three of our middies, and replacement players on the roster. They finished in third place for the 5/6 division. My son had a grand total of 7 goals on the day, and countless assists.
then all the boys just got to be boys together at Southwick. Perfect day.

I always hate 1812 weekend. My families waterfront property is literally next door to the lacrosse tournament in sackets. My cell reception always drops that weekend and I just hear whistles all day long, haha. The lacrosse is always fun to watch though.

Our varsity coach puts together a 7-8 team every year for the John Pepper tournament. We recieved the email yesterday that my son was selected to be on the team. Time to show the boss man what you got. They play this Sunday, 8/1.

Our varsity coach puts together a 7-8 team every year for the John Pepper tournament. We recieved the email yesterday that my son was selected to be on the team. Time to show the boss man what you got. They play this Sunday, 8/1.
A day that ended very early due to thunderstorms. Still a nice day with the boys he hasn't played with since he was in third grade. If there was a stat line for hitting the turf after being hit by an eighth grader we'd had been in business.

My son has landed at a school. (Soccer goalie for those who don’t recall.) It’s been a long, difficult and emotional journey.
1st year at Manhattan. Redshirted. Got one half of first spring game. Played very well. Had a “hockey assist”. Then Covid hit. Decided Manhattan wasn’t for him, so he decided to transfer.
His position coach at Manhattan called a friend at Iowa Western CC. Coach wanted him to come in and start, and “win a NC”. Covid continues and season gets moved to the spring.
In October/November he gets hurt. Never really gets back to practice.
In April, we bring him home so he can have surgery for his injury. Due to the damage in his hip (torn labrum, torn cartilage and radial head bone Spurs) he won’t be released for activity until late September. (Shout out to Outoftownie for recommendation for the surgeon we chose. Could not be more pleased.)

Lots of interest from some schools, (size 6’3” and about 215 lbs, and recommendations) including NCAA champ Marshall, but with no video to show and late release, there were no commitments.

Fast forward. His local private goalie coach is also the goalie coach at Russell Sage in Albany. Has committed to making him the starter once he is cleared, so my son is headed there.

They are also committed to getting him back to D-1 as a grad student, if he wants to keep going.

Through all of that, and Covid, he matured and had a 3.85 gpa last year.

Looking forward to seeing him play, rust and all, but I am most proud of his perseverance and growth.

Last edited:
My son has landed at a school. (Soccer goalie for those who don’t recall.) It’s been a long, difficult and emotional journey.
1st year at Manhattan. Redshirted. Got one half of first spring game. Played very well. Had a “hockey assist”. Then Covid hit. Decided Manhattan wasn’t for him, so he decided to transfer.
His position coach at Manhattan called a friend at Iowa Western CC. Coach wanted him to come in and start, and “win a NC”. Covid continues and season gets moved to the spring.
In October/November he gets hurt. Never really gets back to practice.
In April, we bring him home so he can have surgery for his injury. Due to the damage in his hip (torn labrum, torn cartilage and radial head bone Spurs) he won’t be released for activity until late September. (Shout out to Outoftownie for recommendation for the surgeon we chose. Could not be more pleased.)

Lots of interest from some schools, (size 6’3” and about 215 lbs, and recommendations) including NCAA champ Marshall, but with no video to show and late release, there were no commitments.

Fast forward. His local private goalie coach is also the goalie coach at Russell Sage in Albany. Has committed to making him the starter once he is cleared, so my son is headed there.

They are also committed to getting him back to D-1 as a grad student, if he wants to keep going.

Through all of that, and Covid, he matured and had a 3.85 gpa last year.

Looking forward to seeing him play, rust and all, but I am most proud of his perseverance and growth.
Glad to hear all of that. Especially the surgery. That’s a tough injury to come back from

Glad to hear all of that. Especially the surgery. That’s a tough injury to come back from
Thank you. It remains to be seen what “back” looks like, but the doctor, Dr. Giordano at U of R, is very optimistic. 90% of his surgeries are hip labrums, and most of those are on high level athletes.

My daughter (14) after three days of tryouts, has made the JV girls volleyball team for Baldwinsville. Very proud as there was only a few spots to be had.

the bad news is I have to stay back from the family trip to lake George to get her everywhere she needs to be as she has practice for 11 hours over the next three days. Ugh

My daughter (14) after three days of tryouts, has made the JV girls volleyball team for Baldwinsville. Very proud as there was only a few spots to be had.

the bad news is I have to stay back from the family trip to lake George to get her everywhere she needs to be as she has practice for 11 hours over the next three days. Ugh
Well done by her.

Medical update for my boy: cleared to play, subject to how he feels. Actual took some corner kicks (known in the drill as services) yesterday for goalie practice. Sounded excited to be on the field again.

She’s 6 and the second youngest in her U8 league… basketball’s her real jam but we’re having a lot of fun!

I can’t load the video, but she deked a defender right before this and kicked it from about 15 out.

31B2B581-A665-479A-9493-A074909E407A.jpeg

I'm behind.

My son is well into fall ball. He played in Ellicotville two weeks ago. We had a rough go. Watch out for the youth of Victor NY. They hit us with a BTB pass to a BTB goal. Yikes!! This was a tourney where he had his first run in with real smack talk. Unfortunately for him at 12, it wasn't really a you suck kind of jabbing, it was the "how long have you been gay?" and "you little b*tch" kind of stuff from an 8th grader who will likely grow up to do wonderful things. Whats worse is 4 of them came right to our tent looking for him afterwards, with us parents around and everything. We had no idea at that point what was happening.
This past saturday, he played at the Fingerlakes tourney. Again, rough go. But to be fair, we are a school travel team playing all three games against club teams. Bobby had two nice goals.

My daughter is well into her JV volleyball season. They won the Penfield tourney a few weeks ago, and in the regular season, I'm not sure but I think they've lost one game. She tried out and has accepted a position with Syracuse Volleyball Club for the off-season, attending like 11 tourneys through July of 22.

We are busy.

My daughter's JV volleyball team played in the Marcellus JV Tourney yesterday. They never lost a set, although a few were close. A long day, as things were delayed due to roof leaks on to two different courts. The championship game between them an Liverpool was too close for comfort, but they finished them off 27-25 in a very back and forth set.

And at 14, all she seemed to care about was the "champions" t-shirt they recieved.

Catch up….

My son is currently playing a box league at Jones Rd with his Bville travel squad to stay busy and playing. They don’t win however lol.

He tried out for modified basketball but did not make it. He is however playing CYO, which might just be more enjoyable, and he plays. With 3 of his lax teammates. Which is great.

Because of his sister and cousins, he had decided to try out for modified volleyball. Three days before the tryouts he gets Covid. Due to paperwork he finally got to try out nearly two weeks after the team had been selected. After one day of trying out, Coach offered him a spot, because he had Covid and didn’t want to drag it out any longer. Ugh what a process. So Piano, Percussion, lacrosse, basketball, and volleyball each week. Yikes!!!

My daughter is two tourneys into her club volleyball. They played in Buffalo three/four weeks ago and got beat up real good. To be fair, they are an upstart, and the 14u and 15u teams play exclusively in 16u tourneys. This is a brand new club and I figure there will be growing pains. Most of the local girls are already members of club teams in Rochester and drive out there for two 2 hour practices per week. I say hell no to that. I think each year some of those girls will decide this Syracuse club is the answer to their prayers. But it’s a work in progress.

Last weekend we did two days in Rochester, and they improved to make it to the Silver bracket for Sunday. Visibly a difference for sure.

Staying home in SYR for the 3 day Icicle Challenge that will be held at the new Expo Center at the fairgrounds the weekend that starts winter break, and ending break with a 3 day tourney in Boston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom