The Buddy leash | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Buddy leash

Buddy is the best 3 point shooter on this team and the coaching staff has decided that the best way to get him back to top form is to play him into form, which they did with Phat Joe and we see that has worked out as planned, but you know more than a guy with over a thousand wins
Okay Polly

I might add Joe the last few games has done that very thing.
He has been smarter with his shot selection and his offensive efficiency has gone up.
Otherwise known as following the coach’s direction. Good for Joe

Perhaps JB's sentiment towards his son, extended PT, overlooking his mistakes, shortcomings, etc. is more grandparent type than father? I mean, JB is 76 and Buddy is 21. Many of us likely can relate to being more spoiled by our grandparents than our parents, and how grandparents usually hold their grandchildren up on pedestals, etc., whereas typically this is not so much the case with one's parents. I have a 21 year old son, I'm 56...just a thought.

Last edited:
You literally ruin debates with this.
No facts.
No support.
Bombastic blubber that does nothing to address the point.
Posts like this are why debating legitimate issues go off the rails.

Buddy is a good player. He isn’t the best player on this team.
If he had LeBron James as his teammate and he was told to stand in the corner and make 3’s maybe he could hit 10 3’s but if he is the lead dog it won’t happen.

The kid is shooting 29% from 3 if he took less shots that would be higher.
I fully appreciate your frustration with the OP you are responding to. His long standing MO, to my eye anyway, is to drag others into these debates to incite this very type of reaction.

And people keep playing along.

My only Buddy complaint yesterday or coach complaint about Buddy was us going iso on those last couple of possessions in the first half. What could have been a 10-13 point lead ended up being 6 with VT having dodged a bullet.

But the 2nd half made it irrelevant.

Just enjoy the win.

I fully appreciate your frustration with the OP you are responding to. His long standing MO, to my eye anyway, is to drag others into these debates to incite this very type of reaction.

And people keep playing along.
And your MO is to denigrate one of the greatest coaches in college basketball even as he has retooled the program and has the team playing high level ball and just beat the number 12 team in the country, handily.

I'm well aware of them and their tree house.
Must kill guys like you that guys like me get paid handsomely to be tree huggers for multi billion dollar manufacturing companies

And your MO is to denigrate one of the greatest coaches in college basketball even as he has retooled the program and has the team playing high level ball and just beat the number 12 team in the country, handily.
We beat Texas Tech yesterday?
Why don’t you get your facts when you post this stuff.
It’s not hard.
Virginia Tech was ranked 16th.

The rest of this post is just trolling to continue these threads and destroy the actual points being debated.

We beat Texas Tech yesterday?
Why don’t you get your facts when you post this stuff.
It’s not hard.
Virginia Tech was ranked 16th.

The rest of this post is just trolling to continue these threads and destroy the actual points being debated.
Your going to slam me on a tecnicality? That is so you.

Must kill guys like you that guys like me get paid handsomely to be tree huggers for multi billion dollar manufacturing companies
I'm happy for you and your relations that you make a good income, but if it was up to you, wouldn't you want to end forestry? Or is it just other peoples livings that you would snuff out.

Your going to slam me on a tecnicality? That is so you.
I let it go the first time. You said it previously but when you want to attack another posters post I will correct it.

Your opinions aren’t the issue. Nobody is right when it’s subjectivity being debated.
You have a way of making posts that have no backup to your points thus you destroy the actual factual debates going on.
Fanboying JB destroys debate.
If you want to that go ahead but it doesn’t make you right.

That
That's not how the coaching see's it. And the players on that team want to win and they know there are going to be games, tournament games, where Buddy will go unconscious and throw in 40 and beat a goliath. They want him to be 100% where he is capable of being.
10 minutes a game. 5 per half playing Bras or Kadary or Griff or Woody more is better for this team long term
Perhaps JB's sentiment towards his son, extended PT, overlooking his mistakes, shortcomings, etc. is more grandparent type than father? I mean, JB is 76 and Buddy is 21. Many of us likely can relate to being more spoiled by our grandparents than our parents, and how grandparents usually hold their grandchildren up on pedestals, etc., whereas typically this is not so much the case with one's parents. I have a 21 year old son, I'm 56...just a thought.
JB is a Dad who loves his Son. He is going to play him more than he should. Its that simple.

I don’t think Buddy has a leash; and I don’t think he is being fitted for one either.

My question is, do basketball players really play themselves into shape? I never played organized basketball. I played football, wrestled and ran track. We never played ourselves into shape, we practiced and working out on our own. This is legit question. I’m not trying to add fuel to the fire.

I let it go the first time. You said it previously but when you want to attack another posters post I will correct it.

Your opinions aren’t the issue. Nobody is right when it’s subjectivity being debated.
You have a way of making posts that have no backup to your points thus you destroy the actual factual debates going on.
Fanboying JB destroys debate.
If you want to that go ahead but it doesn’t make you right.
If I thought the program was sinking, I would give harsh criticism. I see the program getting past sanctions and ready to surge only to have these virus setbacks and losing Sidibe, who was going to be a big piece of this team. In spite of that, the team has come together and is now very dangerous and fully expect them to go down to UVA and put a frown on Tony Bennett's pretty face. Discussing how that may go about that would seem more productive than kvetching about bench players PT.

10 minutes a game. 5 per half playing Bras or Kadary or Griff or Woody more is better for this team long term

JB is a Dad who loves his Son. He is going to play him more than he should. Its that simple.
Okay.

Kinda off topic but is there any reason to think that Griffin could play at the 2 in the zone?
How would he crash the boards if he's out on the perimeter? Which he excels at.

Kinda off topic but is there any reason to think that Griffin could play at the 2 in the zone?
Why not?
He is athletic.

We don’t play him as a guard.
When Buddy was out Griffin played the top of the zone against Rutgers.
He can do it.

Buddy plays 36 MPG out of 40 there aren’t many minutes available to see if Griffin can do it regularly.

He can’t say it’s Covid related either. Since he said himself Buddy had Covid.

Why not?
He is athletic.

We don’t play him as a guard.
When Buddy was out Griffin played the top of the zone against Rutgers.
He can do it.

Buddy plays 36 MPG out of 40 there aren’t many minutes available to see if Griffin can do it regularly.

He can’t say it’s Covid related either. Since he said himself Buddy had Covid.

Exactly. We don't have a lot of guards on the roster and we play our starters too much. Kadary is a freshman and his conditioning isn't quite D1 caliber yet. Putting Griff at the 2 for Buddy opens up minutes for Bras/Newton while still giving the lineup 3 point shooting and length/athleticism on defense.

Exactly. We don't have a lot of guards on the roster and we play our starters too much. Kadary is a freshman and his conditioning isn't quite D1 caliber yet. Putting Griff at the 2 for Buddy opens up minutes for Bras/Newton while still giving the lineup 3 point shooting and length/athleticism on defense.
Thank you for saying what I have been saying and people can’t accuse you of being a hater.

I swear I don’t want buddy going from 36 MPG to 15 MPG just from 36MpG when he isn’t playing well to like 26MPG.
Those 10 minutes Braswell has shown he can play defense and if he is hot like he was the first Pitt game can carry the offense.

We rinse repeat wash. No matter how the player is playing.
That hurts Buddy as much as it doesn’t give the bench a chance.

I am sorry but Newton/Kadary/Braswell can help the team.

How is it going to change in the future?

Could he?? Yeah. Should we play him there? Nah.. I think KR needs the ball in his hands initiating for others for us to get his true value.

Could he?? Yeah. Should we play him there? Nah.. I think KR needs the ball in his hands initiating for others for us to get his true value.

Oh for sure that is our most effective lineup. I'm just thinking of creative ways that can open up minutes. I honestly don't even need us to have a deep bench but I would like to see a consistent 8 man rotation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom