The Buddy leash | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The Buddy leash

name 1 player JB has ever taken out for poor shooting? Poor shot selection yes not poor shooting.

no coach takes out his best shooter when he misses shots, he tells them to shoot more.
Buddy has had some bad shot selection as well. Not lately that I can recall.

every excuse JB has ever used for benching a player during a game could be slapped on buddy any game. and yet he plays. poor shooting seen it, poor defense seen it , bad turnovers seen it , etc.etc.
yet buddy gets the carte blanche. he's untouchable . good or bad he plays. that's gotta bug some players.
It’s pretty obvious that Buddy has a much longer leash than Kadary, Alan, Joe, Jesse, etc. People watching can obviously see that and it is frustrating for them, so imagine how hard it has to be for the players to accept it. We’ve all seen the other players immediately yanked after a turnover or mistake and given a scolding but I can’t recall that ever happening to Buddy.

It’s pretty obvious that Buddy has a much longer leash than Kadary, Alan, Joe, Jesse, etc. People watching can obviously see that and it is frustrating for them, so imagine how hard it has to be for the players to accept it. We’ve all seen the other players immediately yanked after a turnover or mistake and given a scolding but I can’t recall that ever happening to Buddy.
so the leash is shorter on the marginal players? I think Hughes/Gmac and quite a few others had the same leash.

When you play a sport you know which players can get away with mistakes and who cant. pretty these kids know as well.

Roy flat out said it after the game,, he rolled thru his whole bench because they are all about the same level of player and he hoped to find one that stopped making mistakes..

so the leash is shorter on the marginal players? I think Hughes/Gmac and quite a few others had the same leash.

When you play a sport you know which players can get away with mistakes and who cant. pretty these kids know as well.

Roy flat out said it after the game,, he rolled thru his whole bench because they are all about the same level of player and he hoped to find one that stopped making mistakes..
Buddy is not an elite player that should get away with mistakes.

Buddy is not an elite player that should get away with mistakes.
maybe there are non mistakes that you dont see as well? Not saying he doesnt do some dumb things. They all do.

Over the years there have been a number of players that frustrated me as a fan. Jason Hart, Trevor Cooney, Scoop Jardine to name a few. All of them got pulled upon defensive mistakes or poor choices in running a play. Not once do I recall having them be pulled for a poor shooting night. Buddy has limitations on defense (lack of quickness). However, lack of effort has not been one of the limitations that I have seen. He is a Junior and he knows what needs to be done. Joe Girard is a sophomore is still coming up to speed in terms of experience. Buddy does a great job in the construct of the offence we have. He scores 20+ on a consistent basis and deserves more from fans on this board. His 1000+ points has passed Matt Roe, Conrad McRae, Carmelo Anthony, Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon, Andre Hawkins, Greg Monroe, James Southerland, Marius Janulis, Danny Schayes amonth others. We speak well of all of these players now. Buddy is a scorer and he will be a top 20 scorer for SU before he leaves. He deserves our support.

I can live with the long leash as long as it’s not combined with extended minutes for Joe G.

we have 1 point guard, 1 2 guard, and Joe who is a bit of both, but a bit of neither.

start Buddy and Richmond and let Joe give each a 4 minute rest each half...unless someone gets ridiculously hot.

we just cannot succeed with the Joe Buddy Backcourt logging 35 min/game.

Last edited:
Buddy has had some bad shot selection as well. Not lately that I can recall.
Shot discipline has improved substantially. In a typical year I think we could have worked that out quite a bit sooner during the non-con tomato can portion of the schedule.

View attachment 195375
That is the point. He doesn’t sit whenever he plays poorly.
10 games 16 FTAs cmon. The kid is a good player we are making one of the features of the offense.
Once you look at these in context it really hurts. Out of 10 total games he was on the court fully for 9 out of 10 when you take his non playing minutes. How is that okay at all?

Over the years there have been a number of players that frustrated me as a fan. Jason Hart, Trevor Cooney, Scoop Jardine to name a few. All of them got pulled upon defensive mistakes or poor choices in running a play. Not once do I recall having them be pulled for a poor shooting night. Buddy has limitations on defense (lack of quickness). However, lack of effort has not been one of the limitations that I have seen. He is a Junior and he knows what needs to be done. Joe Girard is a sophomore is still coming up to speed in terms of experience. Buddy does a great job in the construct of the offence we have. He scores 20+ on a consistent basis and deserves more from fans on this board. His 1000+ points has passed Matt Roe, Conrad McRae, Carmelo Anthony, Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon, Andre Hawkins, Greg Monroe, James Southerland, Marius Janulis, Danny Schayes amonth others. We speak well of all of these players now. Buddy is a scorer and he will be a top 20 scorer for SU before he leaves. He deserves our support.
Buddy is a good, and when hot, a VERY good player- no one disputes that. But criticism of how many minutes he logs does not mean a lack of support.
There's nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious: He plays too much and is allowed to play through mistakes that other players aren't. That's not on Buddy, that's on the head coach.

Buddy is a good, and when hot, a VERY good player- no one disputes that. But criticism of how many minutes he logs does not mean a lack of support.
There's nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious: He plays too much and is allowed to play through mistakes that other players aren't. That's not on Buddy, that's on the head coach.

He'd have been better all year with better coaching.

Same can be said for the other 1-3 players.

Kadary should play more than Joe.

Woody and Bras should take mins from QG/Alan/Buddy.

The coach screwed us not doing this the ACC was way down this year.

There is no Buddy leash. He is allowed to dig in the flower beds, piss on the carpet, and bite grandma, but he does scare off intruders half the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom