The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

People have a hard time dealing with change

This reminds me (and this is all from memory so may not be 100% accurate) when the newspaper had a poll to pick a new name for the Syracuse Chiefs. And the #1 vote was for the name Chiefs. Then they went with Skychiefs.

I hope it's called the stadium. And I am born and raised Syracuse

The Sta-Diome
3o85xr9ZKY1wbbJXDW.gif

Did you chant that? In my mind you chanted that.

It's funny to see people on Twitter getting all angry saying things like, "That's a stupid decision by SU", or "I'm never going to call it The Stadium! Not a lot of deep thinkers on that social media platform!

“Those millenials going to the collage won’t know what their missing. Sad!”

Actual reply on Facebook to this news. Good grief.

As I may recall, the total cost of the dome was $26M. Carrier Corporation donated $5M to the cost of construction, the Crouse-Hinds Company donated $1M to SU toward the cost of construction and the other $20M came from NY state. Please feel free to correct this if I am mistaken.
Based on an online calculator, taking into account the historical rate of inflation, $25M in 1980 would be worth ~$78M in today's dollars.
The cost of the current renovation is around $205M, right? So comparing apples to apples, the cost of the "new" dome is ~2.5X the original construction cost. I don't know beans about corporate law, but I would be surprised if this isn't a major consideration in defending any legal challenge to removing the Carrier name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom