The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

One thing we can safely infer. No deal has been reached to extend the naming rights yet.

It will be very interesting to see who wins this standoff.

Here's my solution:

SU should sign a deal with Floyd Little and Jim Brown as well as Little, Brown Publishing and call it the Little, Brown Dome.

lb.jpeg
floyd.jpeg
jamesb.jpeg

If the peak of the roof is higher than the walls, it's still a Dome.

But when the Pearl was here, i called it the Oyster.
The walls have been extended vertically by the truss ... which is now part of the structure. The fabric peak will be below the top of the truss.

I don’t get why people don’t understand the second we took the roof off the Dome and knocked a portion of the building apart it is essence a new building.

That extinguishes Carrier’s perpetuity gift for naming rights. Carrier wouldn’t win in court the “stadium” is in essence nameless till Syracuse decides what it wants.
Syracuse stadium is basically the default name.

I'd love to see the state and SU come to some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement and call it the Empire Dome. Sounds just pretentious enough for everyone else around the country to hate it.

I'd love to see the state and SU come to some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement and call it the Empire Dome. Sounds just pretentious enough for everyone else around the country to hate it.
Two teams enter ...

For consideration, in addition to the new naming rights deal that WILL take place at some point, this is what I would be operating off of right now through SU Athletics PR:

Football

* Announcer: “Welcome to Syracuse, and the newly renovated Loud House, where today Syracuse takes on...”

Basketball

* Announcer: “Hello from Syracuse and the largest indoor college arena in the world where tonight Syracuse hosts...”

If Carrier thinks they can skate by and not pay, its brand will become synonymous with “old”, “used to be” and “renovated from”, which aren’t good brand attributes when you sell consumer-facing products.

Carrier screwed over our community big time when pulling out of the area (which I do get on many levels.) Good for SU to stick it back to them after six years of really looking into it.

I don’t get why people don’t understand the second we took the roof off the Dome and knocked a portion of the building apart it is essence a new building.

That extinguishes Carrier’s perpetuity gift for naming rights. Carrier wouldn’t win in court the “stadium” is in essence nameless till Syracuse decides what it wants.
Syracuse stadium is basically the default name.
When you re-shingle your roof, or update your kitchen, it’s still your home.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t really care if they end up changing the name. What I don’t understand is this. It wasn’t like the deals of today. It was a gift that got them the name on the building. It is an on campus building. How is it any different than Carnegie Library, or Schine? Would it be right if I came up with money to takes those names off those buildings?

Maybe I'm over simplifying this but with the AC unit construction framework at least being built, can we guess that the AC company that will be cooling the stadium has already been chosen?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t really care if they end up changing the name. What I don’t understand is this. It wasn’t like the deals of today. It was a gift that got them the name on the building. It is an on campus building. How is it any different than Carnegie Library, or Schine? Would it be right if I came up with money to takes those names off those buildings?
Well, most of the concrete steps and walls are there. It's also located on the same piece of dirt. Other than that, it will be a totally different place. That includes ... new lighting, new audio, a new field, a complete new HVAC system (that no longer supports the roof), a new roof, replaced electrical system, new seating (Ph-2), new bathrooms, new concessions and meeting spaces, and a new roof support structure that totally changes the architectural appearance of the facility and is visible for miles around. I should add that many of the footers were redone, that there's another (new) building attached to the East side, and that the "Dome" itself is gone, cut into thousands of pieces and sent to graduates as mementos.

Last edited:
If you look at the lower left of the live feed image, it still says “Carrier Dome” on the building.
FA539909-845E-42B5-B252-B29FF71C4747.jpeg

If someone gave me $10,000 to buy a $100,000 home, I'll go ahead and put their name up under a lighted sconce on the side of the house that faces the street.

IF, however, I decide to invest another $200,000 of my own money into that same house 25 years down the road, I'm ripping that lighted sconce and plaque right off the side

If the peak of the roof is higher than the walls, it's still a Dome.

But when the Pearl was here, i called it the Oyster.
As long as it's not the Blue Oyster.

The walls have been extended vertically by the truss ... which is now part of the structure. The fabric peak will be below the top of the truss.

When you look up at it, you'll see a Dome above you. It may not be air-supported but it will still be a Dome and the fans will still call it that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom