The center mystery | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The center mystery

You mean the guy who averaged 2.6 and 3.4 in his career? I loved what he did defensively- the energy and intensity he brought- and how great of a teammate he was. He was a part of some great teams.

But... 2.6 ppg?
Kind of frightening that that is what we're hoping for right now. JAB said last night he doesn't care if Edwards scores a single point.

And that is how you recruit centers.

1612199432843.png

Our C recruiting is ghastly. I mean, I know people fell in love with Sidibe because of his last 6 games last season, but before that he wasn't particularly great.

You have to go back SIX years to find a center who could contribute meaningfully at both ends of the floor.

Whatever we're doing to evaluate high school centers is horrifically broken.

Evaluated and offered all these guys.

Didn't get commitments from any of them.

Maybe we needed a bigger bag?

Our C recruiting is ghastly. I mean, I know people fell in love with Sidibe because of his last 6 games last season, but before that he wasn't particularly great.

You have to go back SIX years to find a center who could contribute meaningfully at both ends of the floor.

Whatever we're doing to evaluate high school centers is horrifically broken.
That's why if we can lock in a commitment from a dude like Mulvey for example, I'd be pretty hyped for it.

I do think both Edwards and Anselem have potential. Not sure about Ajak. We just haven't seen him enough to judge.

Listen once
19A0FD15-EF15-4346-9B0E-8307A0754261.jpeg
explodes I am dropping all the bags for centers everywhere.

That's why if we can lock in a commitment from a dude like Mulvey for example, I'd be pretty hyped for it.

I do think both Edwards and Anselem have potential. Not sure about Ajak. We just haven't seen him enough to judge.

Hate to say it, but if Mulvey was smart he would go to Iowa and be the next Garza.

Yikes. What a difference any ONE of them would have made on this roster.

Hate to say it, but if Mulvey was smart he would go to Iowa and be the next Garza.
Garza's awesome.

I'm not really sure how that dude's game works.

But it does. It really does.

The position we are in is unacceptable for a program of our stature. Marek at the 5 is so out of place for him. To the point of being unfair for him. While he gives it his, all his body is not designed for it.

Would be truly enlightening to find out why each of those chose elsewhere to play.

We haven’t put a center into the association in forever. Our system doesn’t translate well at all.

Which is part of the coaches job.

We don’t even need a 5 star elite recruit at C.

Arinze and Rick Jackson weren’t McD AAs like Rak.

Arinze is a fantastic story of growth and development. I truly believe if he doesn't get hurt in the 2010 BET, we win the whole thing. That man could sink a baby hook and use his size. Smart, reliable, awesome player.

But he was also relatively short and built like a linebacker. Even Rick was really a PF that could play the 5 in college. We seem to have a lot of sticks on the team at center (not saying one is better than the other), but maybe if we'd open the door to a few different types of centers we would have better luck in recruiting? I dunno.

One not on Sid, and this isn't pertaining to the quoted post, Sid had a PER of 20 last year. That's pretty good. His PPG were what they were. And the reason I bring that up is that if we were to have a center that was decent defensively (whether positionally or shot blocking ability, whatever) and could basically have a strong-hand baby hook, good on put bucks/garbage buckets and passable on rim runs... it would be fine. We don't need Shaq.

Feel bad for Marek. Even in his good games, he's still getting beaten up. That's got to be tough.

The position we are in is unacceptable for a program of our stature. Marek at the 5 is so out of place for him. To the point of being unfair for him. While he gives it his, all his body is not designed for it.
I actually love Marek at the 5 in brief flashes to put our best offensive lineups on the floor, and for our close out lineup to win games.

But 40 minutes of Marek at the 5... that ain't it.

Ok, what's going on at the 5?

We have 4 guys on scholarship at the spot. None of them play.

Sidibe has been often injured, and unfortunately got hurt a few minutes into the season. It can be explained why he isn't playing. Maybe there's a chance that changes, but it's easy to understand why he's been out.

I can understand JB turning to Marek. Marek has played a lot of 5 here. I think it makes the game harder for Marek to play center, but I get it. It's what's happening behind him that I think is odd and hard to explain.

Ajak in the early season was the guy that would come in to give Marek a short break. He wasn't amazing or anything, but he didn't look completely lost and made a play here and there. He hasn't played in a long time now. What happened?

Anselem played a little early in the season too. Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like he may be dealing with Covid. Does that explain why he doesn't play? There has been word that he's too young and raw right now to contribute regardless of any health stuff.

Edwards flashed more last season than this season. What happened? JB seemed extremely hesitant to give him minutes early in the season, now he turns to him by default. You can't even say it's a leash, it's more like JB has his hand on the collar. What's the story there?

My fear is that any one of these playing situations is explainable, but all three happening at the same time suggests either issues with a lack of player development, issues with recruiting, or issues with coaching decisions when it comes to the rotation.

I wonder, what if at the beginning of the season Buddy didn't have to sit? That forced JB to put an unproven quantity in the starting lineup at guard in Kadary. JB being who he is, I don't see him rolling with two questions marks unless he has to. If he has Buddy, how much does JB consider starting one of the 5s early in the season? Granted, I am assuming that as guys see game time it does impact their development and readiness to compete in the future. I wonder though.
If you have 4 centers and none of them play, than you have no centers .

I actually love Marek at the 5 in brief flashes to put our best offensive lineups on the floor, and for our close out lineup to win games.

Marek at the 5 makes a lot of sense if we were going five out with a lead ball handler that could break down the D with spacing, penetrate, and we have four guys just waiting to get the kick out to knock down shot after shot.

Our offense is... not that.

For sure. All i’m saying is that it’s tough for him physically. Bigger guys will body him and take him completely out of his game effectively nullifying his offensive effectiveness we have him in game for.

Marek at the 5 makes a lot of sense if we were going five out with a lead ball handler that could break down the D with spacing, penetrate, and we have four guys just waiting to get the kick out to knock down shot after shot.

Our offense is... not that.

You aren't cool with five out to let the slowest, least athletic guy go iso and try to back somebody down before launching a contested fadeaway?

And that's not even all of them. Sigh. Jessie Govan from Buffalo went to G'Town and had a nice 4-year career. James Banks from Georgia had a nice couple of seasons at G'Tech. Thomas Bryant and his mom ...

Frank has the highest potential IMO. If he’s healthy we really should be force feeding him
minutes.
No one remembers this, but Anselem should/could be in HS right now. Not that it matters, but he was a top 50-60 player in the Class of 2021. But he moved up and finished as a Top 150-ish recruit in the Class of 2020.

I am glad/thrilled he's here. But he won't help anytime soon. Next year I would think.

These type of moves (and others) are prime examples why the quality of CBB has dwindled in the last 10-12 years.

You aren't cool with five out to let the slowest, least athletic guy go iso and try to back somebody down before launching a contested fadeaway?
I call that the late 90’s Patrick Ewing Knicks offense.

I wrote something like this in another post, but will apply it here: If that guy is the guy that pays the entry fee and team jerseys for the rec league I'm playing in and buys drinks at the post-game... Yeah, I'm cool with it. I don't need shots to stay happy. I just want run to get some exercise.

Now, in Cuse's situation...

No one remembers this, but Anselem should/could be in HS right now. Not that it matters, but he was a top 50-60 player in the Class of 2021. But he moved up and finished as a Top 150-ish recruit in the Class of 2020.

I am glad/thrilled he's here. But he won't help anytime soon. Next year I would think.

These type of moves (and others) are prime examples why the quality of CBB has dwindled in the last 10-12 years.

So we really have two commits for 2021. ;)

Going out on a limb here. Imo, Ajax needs to play just like Kadary. He's long and slides like Griff and Dolezaj. Really would like to see some kind of 1-3-1 with him out there. Preferably in the middle of the second line. Pure hustle no stats. He has the toughness in him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom