The center mystery | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The center mystery

Evaluated and offered all these guys.

Didn't get commitments from any of them.

Maybe we needed a bigger bag?

But little G got lots of flowers:)

Big picture question for the offseason
Who returns/transfers leaves? This includes Bourama and Marek

Does the staff want an injury prone sidibe for another year?

Frank stays since he is still so young but I feel like coaches who are aggressive w their roster, would look at ours and do a complete overhaul of running off and bringing in 4 new players

Big picture question for the offseason
Who returns/transfers leaves? This includes Bourama and Marek

Does the staff want an injury prone sidibe for another year?

Frank stays since he is still so young but I feel like coaches who are aggressive w their roster, would look at ours and do a complete overhaul of running off and bringing in 4 new players

We need to get better at practicing practices so kids can excel in practices and get into games. Is there like some kind of 'pre-practice prep for practice guru' we can hire? Devo????

If all 4 truly aren’t ready, it’s alarming. It’s alarming scouting, it’s alarming development, it’s alarming coaching.

1 or 2 out of 4, sure. All 4? No.

All that being said, I think more than one could give us quality minutes at the 5 every game from the little that we’ve been able to see.

I don’t get it personally. Running Marek at the 5 all night every night has taken away from his game, put us in a less than advantageous rebounding position and hurt the defense as a whole. Not having Kadary at the top for more minutes has also hurt on both ends of the floor.

My personal opinion on what happens

Edwards transfers
JBA comes back but is still a non factor
Frank comes back, gets minutes as a solid back up
one of sidibe or marek come back for one more year. If one of them does not come back we go the grad transfer route for a center

So it will either be
Starter: Sidibe/Marek
Backup: Frank
Third string: JBA

or

Starter: Grad Transfer
Third String: JBA

Outside Huntley-Hatfield reclasses to 2021 and comes in with Benny. Huntley-Hatfield would then be our center. Also don’t forget Benny and Huntley/Hatfield both go to IMG together so you can bet Benny is in his ear

Edwards transfers
one of sidibe or marek come back for one more year. If one of them does not come back we go the grad transfer route for a center

So it will either be

or

Outside Huntley-Hatfield reclasses to 2021 and comes in with Benny. Huntley-Hatfield would then be our center. Also don’t forget Benny and Huntley/Hatfield both go to IMG together so you can bet Benny is in his ear
BHH transferred out of IMG I thought.

Edwards transfers

So it will either be

or

BHH sounds like Donte Green II. Not sure he'd want to play the 5.

Even if Bourama comes back we would be insane to count on him to play 20+ minutes for 35 games based on his history. I think Frank could be a stud

Certainly "could be," because of the physical tools.

But right now [not even factoring in illness related considerations], he has a poor feel for the game and doesn't know how to play on either end of the floor. Very similar to Etan Thomas at the same stage of their respective developmental curves. Hope he has anywhere near the same upside.

BHH sounds like Donte Green II. Not sure he'd want to play the 5.
The only way we get a player like BHH is to feature him at the position he will play and wants to play in the NBA. That's the selling point, IMO. Over the years, JB has demonstrated a track record and willingness to fully feature forwards with BHH's skillset pretty much without restrictions. To be clear, I think he could easily play the 5 in 2-3. But BHH is going to want to feature his ability to guard on the wings, to be a face the basket playmaker on offense, rebound, and use his physical dominance.

Getting an experienced transfer center that can play 20-25 mins next year should be a priority IMO. Adding that plus another year of Quincy/Kadary/Buddy/JG3/Woody and adding Benny could be a good team

Edwards transfers

So it will either be

or

If I have to watch Marek at the 5 one more year I don't think my TV will survive...

I'm trying to remember the last freshman or first year center (traditional transfer or otherwise) to come in and play more than 15 minutes a game. Forth?

Just to confirm, that yes, indeed we have hashed everything out on this board numerous times.

And I was unrelenting in my criticism of Chewy.

I love sidibe but he isn't shaq. He's has a history of injuries and foul trouble. Any halfway decent center would be getting big minutes right now.
well you arent wrong.

its a double edged sword...JB is loyal to a fault at times. He kinda has this thing where if you are loyal to the program he pays you back...especially as a senior. the whole family vibe is real, imo...For instance, Rak was an afterthought most of his career but was featured as a senior. Seniors tend to start even if they didnt the other years. And it usually works out well in the end for all parties.

Definite gamble assuming Sid would be healthy this year considering how his other years went...probably not a wise bet ...but the other options were probably not as appealing. Recruiting over him probably wouldnt have been palatable to the coaches.

Ideally, a bigger freshman wouldve have committed and would have been starting all year and balling out ...they did try with some other C's for sure...

so no mystery ...just a confluence of unlucky and/or poor decisions...

well you arent wrong.

its a double edged sword...JB is loyal to a fault at times. He kinda has this thing where if you are loyal to the program he pays you back...especially as a senior. the whole family vibe is real, imo...For instance, Rak was an afterthought most of his career but was featured as a senior. Seniors tend to start even if they didnt the other years. And it usually works out well in the end for all parties.

Definite gamble assuming Sid would be healthy this year considering how his other years went...probably not a wise bet ...but the other options were probably not as appealing. Recruiting over him probably wouldnt have been palatable to the coaches.

Ideally, a bigger freshman wouldve have committed and would have been starting all year and balling out ...they did try with some other C's for sure...

so no mystery ...just a confluence of unlucky and/or poor decisions...
JB was so loyal he tried to bring in grad transfer Patrick Tape from Columbia.

Rak was a McDonald’s AA he wasn’t close to the level of Sidibe.
Rak was good as a Junior as well he was underutilized.

The only way the center spot be fixed, is to retire JB. We have capable Biggs on this roster, the zone is the problem

Problem with current Centers is that they cant measure themselves against Sidibe in practice as he is hurt. They cant get better without competition that challenges them. They can work on technique but are unable to translate that into the game where the pace is that much quicker. Lets hope Sidibe can come back and play and also practice to help our young centers develop.

JB was so loyal he tried to bring in grad transfer Patrick Tape from Columbia.

Rak was a McDonald’s AA he wasn’t close to the level of Sidibe.
Rak was good as a Junior as well he was underutilized.
he probably didnt get him bc he told him he wouldnt start...

Just to confirm, that yes, indeed we have hashed everything out on this board numerous times.

And I was unrelenting in my criticism of Chewy.
I’ve been on in since 2014

I’ve been on in since 2014

Some truly terrible takes in that thread. Iommi was terribly wrong. Many others were. I wonder why I wasn't all over that thread...

Going out on a limb here. Imo, Ajax needs to play just like Kadary. He's long and slides like Griff and Dolezaj. Really would like to see some kind of 1-3-1 with him out there. Preferably in the middle of the second line. Pure hustle no stats. He has the toughness in him.
Not a big fan. I don’t see his upside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom