The center mystery | Syracusefan.com

The center mystery

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Ok, what's going on at the 5?

We have 4 guys on scholarship at the spot. None of them play.

Sidibe has been often injured, and unfortunately got hurt a few minutes into the season. It can be explained why he isn't playing. Maybe there's a chance that changes, but it's easy to understand why he's been out.

I can understand JB turning to Marek. Marek has played a lot of 5 here. I think it makes the game harder for Marek to play center, but I get it. It's what's happening behind him that I think is odd and hard to explain.

Ajak in the early season was the guy that would come in to give Marek a short break. He wasn't amazing or anything, but he didn't look completely lost and made a play here and there. He hasn't played in a long time now. What happened?

Anselem played a little early in the season too. Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like he may be dealing with Covid. Does that explain why he doesn't play? There has been word that he's too young and raw right now to contribute regardless of any health stuff.

Edwards flashed more last season than this season. What happened? JB seemed extremely hesitant to give him minutes early in the season, now he turns to him by default. You can't even say it's a leash, it's more like JB has his hand on the collar. What's the story there?

My fear is that any one of these playing situations is explainable, but all three happening at the same time suggests either issues with a lack of player development, issues with recruiting, or issues with coaching decisions when it comes to the rotation.

I wonder, what if at the beginning of the season Buddy didn't have to sit? That forced JB to put an unproven quantity in the starting lineup at guard in Kadary. JB being who he is, I don't see him rolling with two questions marks unless he has to. If he has Buddy, how much does JB consider starting one of the 5s early in the season? Granted, I am assuming that as guys see game time it does impact their development and readiness to compete in the future. I wonder though.

Here's the thing: I think that ALL three of those centers who can't get off the bench could be pretty good and contribute this year if given steady doses of PT. And it seems like all three are going to be mis-managed.

Anselem played a little early in the season too. Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like he may be dealing with Covid. Does that explain why he doesn't play? There has been word that he's too young and raw right now to contribute regardless of any health stuff.

Anselem.png

JB also said the same about Sidibe, and yet he might see some action this Wednesday vs Louisville.

Who knows?

Frank looked capable to me in the early games. Strong with the ball. Good hands. Aggressive on the boards. Good frame to play down low with the big boys. I was surprised he didn’t see more time as more games were played. There has to be something going on with him. Injury/Covid? Maybe there is a chance we will see him down the road this season.

Edwards and Ajak aren’t that good and probably never will be. They aren’t ready for conference play. Edwards was put into a game last night with a somewhat unique and difficult-to-execute defensive game plan, for the 5, and he failed miserably.

I’m sure he will be given another chance next game. Let’s hope he executes as the coaches have instructed.

Here's the thing: I think that ALL three of those centers who can't get off the bench could be pretty good and contribute this year if given steady doses of PT. And it seems like all three are going to be mis-managed.
That's why it can be so maddening when we pile minutes up on the starters during the lighter parts of the schedule/in blow outs.

I thought JBA was more of a PF
I mean, he came in at the 5 earlier in the season during regular game time.

So maybe he is more of a 4. But he wasn't subbing in to play the wing. He only got minutes at forward during garbage time.

Again, the center has developed into a terrible position in JB's system. They're responsible for too much on defense and not enough on offense. It's always kind of been that way, but the old man has doubled down on his plan the last decade since Rak (who was a PF as well). I can absolutely see why C recruits who are ready to play aren't particularly interested in coming here.

It's funny to think JBA could be Keita. Keita was a top-150 recruit who started his senior year at Oak Hill after just a year in the states and averaged ~15 mpg in his freshman year at SU.

JBA was a bench project his senior year of HS and has already had a RS year here and at least one person with ties to the program doesn't think he can play at this level. If anyone could be Keita, it would be Frank. The other two are transfer candidates.

I sure hope they can attract someone from the portal because next season could be hideous without Marek or Bourama.

It's funny to think JBA could be Keita. Keita was a top-150 recruit who started his senior year at Oak Hill after just a year in the states and averaged ~15 mpg in his freshman year at SU.

JBA was a bench project his senior year of HS and has already had a RS year here and at least one person with ties to the program doesn't think he can play at this level. If anyone could be Keita, it would be Frank. The other two are transfer candidates.

I sure hope they can attract someone from the portal because next season could be hideous without Marek or Bourama.
You mean the guy who averaged 2.6 and 3.4 in his career? I loved what he did defensively- the energy and intensity he brought- and how great of a teammate he was. He was a part of some great teams.

But... 2.6 ppg?

You mean the guy who averaged 2.6 and 3.4 in his career? I loved what he did defensively- the energy and intensity he brought- and how great of a teammate he was. He was a part of some great teams.

But... 2.6 ppg?
BMK was a rim protector.
If you can’t help offensively then playing good defense would help the team.
This team would be a lot better with BMK at center because it would slide.Marek to Forward.
Then QG/AG/MD would be play forward and then AG could slide more to SG on most teams.

Ajak in the early season was the guy that would come in to give Marek a short break. He wasn't amazing or anything, but he didn't look completely lost and made a play here and there. He hasn't played in a long time now. What happened?

Trying to even assess any of them is an insanely difficult task. I thought JBA looked bouncy and somewhat able to contribute - at least more than I expected against scrubs.

I was surprised he looked as competent as he did tbh. At this point I'd take fluid-bounciness as an ability at the 5 because that's how bad we are down low. He is certainly frail, and will fall a lot. I don't know, I doubt he could give us much at this point. lol

I'm leaving Frank out because, maybe COVID? He's our best bet for success.

Edwards, I'll leave out as well, because he does get in on occasion.

Our C recruiting is ghastly. I mean, I know people fell in love with Sidibe because of his last 6 games last season, but before that he wasn't particularly great.

You have to go back SIX years to find a center who could contribute meaningfully at both ends of the floor.

Whatever we're doing to evaluate high school centers is horrifically broken.

Our C recruiting is ghastly. I mean, I know people fell in love with Sidibe because of his last 6 games last season, but before that he wasn't particularly great.

You have to go back SIX years to find a center who could contribute meaningfully at both ends of the floor.

Whatever we're doing to evaluate sign high school centers is horrifically broken.
FIFY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom