The Coyle decision | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

Awesome stuff Chakka. My big beef is the salary vs hoops. I mean boeheim is done in a few years. Who cares what he thinks at this point. Or more importantly what leverage does he have to make this an issue?

elimunelson said:
Awesome stuff Chakka. My big beef is the salary vs hoops. I mean boeheim is done in a few years. Who cares what he thinks at this point. Or more importantly what leverage does he have to make this an issue?

He's an institution. I'd bet his opinion still holds ton of weight.

75% / 25% against. Coyle will want to bet on his own guy. He will find the money he needs.

First. I understand Shafer has asked for either an extension or to be let go as its now hurting recruiting. Not 100% confirmed. Shafer does have a good working relationship with Sevyrud & Coyle so in my opinion this is more true than not.

Second. Coyle is ready to pull the trigger (that's what a good AD should be ready to do anyway) but understand has not been given the green light. Also the amount available to spend is in question. Needs up to $2.5 million plus $500-$600k for coordinators - basically double what they are spending now. Not sure if he should pull trigger unless he gets appropriate funding to get the guy he wants. However, paying $2.5 million is more than JB gets paid and is a political problem - you all know SU basketball paid the bill pre ACC during our down years.

Third. There are budget issues. If the Dome gets renovated starting next year, it cuts heavily into the SUAD operating budget as you lose football ticket/box/advertising revenue, you have to pay to hold home games elsewhere further impacting the budget, and Sevyrud insists on a revenue neutral SUAD budget going forward.

Fourth. The capital campaign (a capital budget is different than SUADs operating budget) - Sevyrud's legacy - $2 billion in total or in phases based upon funding below - is up for vote. I understand that the $250 million may still be available from Cuomo (he has a multi billion slush fund for projects like the fairgrounds & amphitheater projects) can also be politically earmarked for the new SU VA med school but also waiting upon Federal monies to kick off the $2 billion 10 year campaign. Outside of capital campaign adds a portion of the CNY region bid for $500 million NY state economic aid - 3 out of 7 regions bid winners should be announced next month in line with overall capital campaign - also includes a: National veterans resource complex: The council would invest $12.5 million for a hub at Syracuse University that would provide research, programming, education, training and entrepreneurship support for military veterans.

This decision is not as easy as some think it is but this is what I've heard but my sources are not as good as what they used to be. Very tight lipped up on the hill due to fear of people losing their jobs - lol was far easier to get info during Gross years. I have to surmise a lot hinges on the timing of the Dome renovation project.

However, just remember Coyle played college football, hired a successful Football HC and has been around a successful football program. He knows how to recognize success. If he thinks Shafer will become successful given his experience, we all must roll with that decision to keep Shafer and extend his contract.

All that says doomed.

Low resource environment, seems insane to invest in a stadium upgrade if they are struggling to hit a pay slot a program of this nature should be in.

GoSU96 said:
All that says doomed. Low resource environment, seems insane to invest in a stadium upgrade if they are struggling to hit a pay slot a program of this nature should be in.

But we joined the ACC to build up our coffer.

Ha.

Sorry but if the university is serious about fixing this damn program you find the money it will take, within reason. You also take into account that Dome renovation means short term sacrifice. If that means the SUAD budget is a bit imbalanced for a bit because of the renovations and bringing in a new coach, well so be it, Kent! Step up!

djorange1989 said:
Sorry but if the university is serious about fixing this damn program you find the money it will take, within reason. You also take into account that Dome renovation means short term sacrifice. If that means the SUAD budget is a bit imbalanced for a bit because of the renovations and bringing in a new coach, well so be it, Kent! Step up!

Seriously, if money is an issue, we shouldn't have joined the ACC.

cuseguy said:
Seriously, if money is an issue, we shouldn't have joined the ACC.

I think there might have been more Gross/Cantor damage than originally thought?

No inside info... But it seems that way.

Millhouse said:
shafer as ron rolston/ted nolan sabres were never going to get bylsma to be on board for a tank job. rolston and nolan were in no position to be picky are we sure they're not playing in the dome next year?

Not sure on the stadium...but that situation you describe is exactly what I'm talking about. There could be (usually are) factors that influence hires that fans never know about.

chakka3421 said:
First. I understand Shafer has asked for either an extension or to be let go as its now hurting recruiting. Not 100% confirmed. Shafer does have a good working relationship with Sevyrud & Coyle so in my opinion this is more true than not. Second. Coyle is ready to pull the trigger (that's what a good AD should be ready to do anyway) but understand has not been given the green light. Also the amount available to spend is in question. Needs up to $2.5 million plus $500-$600k for coordinators - basically double what they are spending now. Not sure if he should pull trigger unless he gets appropriate funding to get the guy he wants. However, paying $2.5 million is more than JB gets paid and is a political problem - you all know SU basketball paid the bill pre ACC during our down years. Third. There are budget issues. If the Dome gets renovated starting next year, it cuts heavily into the SUAD operating budget as you lose football ticket/box/advertising revenue, you have to pay to hold home games elsewhere further impacting the budget, and Sevyrud insists on a revenue neutral SUAD budget going forward. Fourth. The capital campaign (a capital budget is different than SUADs operating budget) - Sevyrud's legacy - $2 billion in total or in phases based upon funding below - is up for vote. I understand that the $250 million may still be available from Cuomo (he has a multi billion slush fund for projects like the fairgrounds & amphitheater projects) can also be politically earmarked for the new SU VA med school but also waiting upon Federal monies to kick off the $2 billion 10 year campaign. Outside of capital campaign adds a portion of the CNY region bid for $500 million NY state economic aid - 3 out of 7 regions bid winners should be announced next month in line with overall capital campaign - also includes a: National veterans resource complex: The council would invest $12.5 million for a hub at Syracuse University that would provide research, programming, education, training and entrepreneurship support for military veterans. This decision is not as easy as some think it is but this is what I've heard but my sources are not as good as what they used to be. Very tight lipped up on the hill due to fear of people losing their jobs - lol was far easier to get info during Gross years. I have to surmise a lot hinges on the timing of the Dome renovation project. However, just remember Coyle played college football, hired a successful Football HC and has been around a successful football program. He knows how to recognize success. If he thinks Shafer will become successful given his experience, we all must roll with that decision to keep Shafer and extend his contract.

Appreciate the info. Makes sense. Like I've been saying, there are lots of factors in play.

djorange1989 said:

One mans "reason" is another man's "NFW."

The "Boeheim needs to be paid more than the FB coach" people with influence need to wake the up. Its such a crock. A good football program is good for the SU Athletic Department.

Does JB even give a rats a** ? Doubt it

If we're going to continue pinching pennies with salaries, this isn't going to work.
This. You gotta spend money to make money. Simple as that. Can't be cheap again.

Honestly how does the ACC TV money factor into this. I get this AD has to balance the books and be more fiscally disciplined but the FB coach needs an extension so why we would be afraid to spend money on a new staff when the current staff will be need to be extended.
Our current staff all together probably makes 3-4 million total and a new staff will probably cost 6-7 million money annually why are we being cheap about 3 million dollars when we are talking about a 200 million renovation of the Dome.
I mean seriously we could sell multiple home games to Metlife next year ONLY like the Louisville/Virginia Tech/Florida State games and I am sure we could easily get a significant portion of the money right there.
Our TV revenue increase can't be going to completely filling in the overspending of Gross. Going from 5 million to 17 million means 12 million more. Syverud has clearly audited the AD and knows the expenses. I highly doubt the AD was running a 12 million dollar deficit. Spend the extra couple million now and do it right.

Last edited:
TheCusian said:
I think there might have been more Gross/Cantor damage than originally thought? No inside info... But it seems that way.

I'm surprised Coyle took the job if that's true.

And if it is true, I'm a bit concerned.

As Chakka put in his post, it's about timing. The administration is committed to being cash flow positive in every area of the University. Things need to shake out before they go spend 6mil in football salaries.

Honestly how does the ACC TV money factor into this. I get this AD has to balance the books and be more fiscally disciplined but the FB coach needs an extension so why we would be afraid to spend money on a new staff when the current staff will be need to be extended.
Our current staff all together probably makes 3-4 million total and a new staff will probably cost 6-7 million money annually why are we being cheap about 3 million dollars when we are talking about a 200 million renovation of the Dome.
I mean seriously we could sell multiple home games to Metlife next year ONLY like the Louisville/Virginia Tech/Florida State games and I am sure we could easily get a significant portion of the money right there.
Our TV revenue increase can't be going to completely filling in the overspending of Gross. Going from 5 million to 17 million means 12 million more. Syverud has clearly audited the AD and knows the expenses. I highly doubt the AD was running a 12 million dollar deficit. Spend the extra couple million now and do it right.
Yes, I'm with ya. How in the red were we? We are making an extra 20mil a year. If we're not willing to spend to get ourselves someone worth it, as you've said many times, let's not expect fans to show up. We should just keep Shaf and hope to have a few good/decent years at some point. Or if we're worried JB needs to be highest paid coach, then let's become Georgetown and drop down a level, or bump JBs salary up. Football pays the bills everywhere else. There are many schools that are successful in both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom