the crane the crane | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

What I have heard is this, and I am not sure if I have said it before in another thread, so sorry if old dialogue: There was a late occurring realization about the roof "performance" that caused some early concerns and maybe even delays although by all accounts that has been recaptured. The two different roof materials will behave differently regarding expansion and contraction, and that was a problem itself, but with it came the realization that what causes that concern is the thermal properties of the material (U value) and that the rigid outer portion will transfer warmer interior temperatures at a slower rate (better R value) than the inner translucent portion. The current roof is one material so this is not a current issue. This difference is likely to cause snow on the inner portion to melt faster. That runoff will encounter the colder roof before it can reach the primary drainage system. As a result there is need for an intermediate drainage system that is more robust, in part because of the differential movement, and in part because of the temperature swings from day to night, from occupied to unoccupied, and simply because the snow that remains on the hard roof will refreeze the melt coming off the soft roof, creating an ice damn and increasing the potential to stop movement, an create weak points and potential leak points at the joint. Running the drains inside is related because otherwise they may have to heat trace the drains (to make sure it doesn't refreeze in the drain) which is not an expense they want to incur.

Very informative, thanks. I guess the University isn't just being dramatic when they say this is a very complex project!

What I have heard is this, and I am not sure if I have said it before in another thread, so sorry if old dialogue: There was a late occurring realization about the roof "performance" that caused some early concerns and maybe even delays although by all accounts that has been recaptured. The two different roof materials will behave differently regarding expansion and contraction, and that was a problem itself, but with it came the realization that what causes that concern is the thermal properties of the material (U value) and that the rigid outer portion will transfer warmer interior temperatures at a slower rate (better R value) than the inner translucent portion. The current roof is one material so this is not a current issue. This difference is likely to cause snow on the inner portion to melt faster. That runoff will encounter the colder roof before it can reach the primary drainage system. As a result there is need for an intermediate drainage system that is more robust, in part because of the differential movement, and in part because of the temperature swings from day to night, from occupied to unoccupied, and simply because the snow that remains on the hard roof will refreeze the melt coming off the soft roof, creating an ice damn and increasing the potential to stop movement, an create weak points and potential leak points at the joint. Running the drains inside is related because otherwise they may have to heat trace the drains (to make sure it doesn't refreeze in the drain) which is not an expense they want to incur.

Very interesting. I know jack squat about engineering and construction so this kind of stuff is very educational to me.

Are you guys talking about core ten steel? That is not core ten steel. Not only is it way more expensive, but any runoff stains. It is a finish and I don’t believe that it is the desired finish. They would use galvanized before core ten, but I think this is just primed. I do believe the end result will be white. Good point about welding and fire. Is that also true of arc welding? I don’t know enough to say.
Galvanization can help rusting but can not stop it entirely, I do not think this is galvanized steel, but do not know for sure. Painting can temporarily stop rusting but all paints end up chipping off and failing just look at any older overpass or bridge supports that must be repainted periodically. Newer bridges generally are built with the rust proof steel, no matter what you call it. Expense is generally considered well worth it because of downstream savings in maintenance costs and longevity. Then of course there is the even more expensive stainless steel with its nickel content adding strength and rust protection.
I admit I have no direct knowledge of what they are doing on the dome. Perhaps someone at some time will give us an engineering overview or not. I think the best material would be stainless, which would be a shiny metallic and with a primer could be painted as desired.

Not much going on yesterday or today but I got a good shot of the heavy fog this morning.

Dome 100819.png

I don't think they have even finished putting the support braces up on the southern (ESF) side of the Dome. I wonder what the delay is? The wind? It has been pretty breezy. Winds of around 12 mph right now in Syracuse.

Not much going on yesterday or today but I got a good shot of the heavy fog this morning.

View attachment 171139

I don't think they have even finished putting the support braces up on the southern (ESF) side of the Dome. I wonder what the delay is? The wind? It has been pretty breezy. Winds of around 12 mph right now in Syracuse.

Site looked all buttoned up through the day yesterday, I don't know why. Rain? Even with much heavier winds this weekend than last, the cranes stayed up.

Love the fog shot, wish I'd gotten out earlier this morning to see it in person.

Did you ever wonder if it’s brown because it is completely rusted over? Technically it is rustproof at that point because it won’t take on any more rust.
The oxide doesn't bind on iron & steel, though, and flakes off. Unlike aluminum, which forms a thin oxide layer that sticks in place and prevents deeper oxidation.

The oxide doesn't bind on iron & steel, though, and flakes off. Unlike aluminum, which forms a thin oxide layer that sticks in place and prevents deeper oxidation.
For the record, this is what I was referring to and NOT what we are using.

View attachment 171139

Today there also seems to be nothing much happening, and it is a beautiful day in Syracuse.

Today there also seems to be nothing much happening, and it is a beautiful day in Syracuse.
The few times I’ve pulled it up today there have been two bucket lifts that appear to have workers up at those brown brackets

The few times I’ve pulled it up today there have been two bucket lifts that appear to have workers up at those brown brackets

Yeah, looks like they've added two to the south side today (both sides of the lift).

Yesterday on the opposite side there was a lot of noisy cutting of something on the ground thought to probably be metal.

Yesterday on the opposite side there was a lot of noisy cutting of something on the ground thought to probably be metal.

I am assuming that all those long brown pieces of steel lying on the ground in front of Walt are going to be used to connect the roller coaster-like truss ring to the tension ring (that ring of white steel already installed along the perimeter of the dome).

They couldn't all be temporary pieces, could they?

I like this view of the new roof because you can see a lot more than the normal ground based views.

Anyway, as Otto pointed out, it looks like all the temporary brown supporting braces have been installed up top (thought I can't confirm it given there is just one angle provided). They have to be close to raising the steel pieces and building the crown truss now, don't they? Will it start this week?

Geiger Dome Drawing.png

Last edited:
too bad they didnt invest in a better camera web set up.. alot of projects let you zoom the camera around and point it..

too bad they didnt invest in a better camera web set up.. alot of projects let you zoom the camera around and point it..

But then you'd probably have some peeps trying to look in the windows of Sadler, Lawrinson and Brewster/Boland. Not anyone here of course ;)

It's like when you build a house and the construction is moving along until suddenly you are waiting around for materials. It's probably the steel for the Dome truss, as it is custom for this project, hasn't been delivered yet.

like how wstm forgot to order the steel or the helicopter or the high wire crews in time for the install they are now 3 months behind the due date

It's like when you build a house and the construction is moving along until suddenly you are waiting around for materials. It's probably the steel for the Dome truss, as it is custom for this project, hasn't been delivered yet.
I think you are right, but time it is awasting. Most of the truss needs to be lifted,and joined before foul weather sets in. High winds make lifting untenable, and those winds increase in frequency and strength as November sets in.