the crane the crane | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I wonder what gets connected to those brackets midway down.
It looks like those those big brackets are only on the columns on the sides of where the X brackets are installed, in the corners of the Dome. Those are the strongest walls in the building.

I wonder they are planning to start the process of getting the supporting steel up at the corner walls, first by bolting temporary supporting steel to these weird looking brackets Bees just posted pictures of, supporting the temporary steel further by connecting it to the C shaped brown braces that just finished bolting to the concrete perimeter ring of the roof , then use those supports to start putting up the permanent supporting steel that will ultimately hold up the truss ring?

That would follow with OttoMets was saying.

If you look at the picture I posted above of what the truss ring will look like as a finished product, there is going to eventually be an isosceles triangle installed directly above the dual X braces in each corner (with another support bisecting the isosceles triangle into 2 right triangles).

It looks like the angles for the brackets Bees has pictures might be set up to support those triangles temporarily until the cross truss is finished.

It looks like those those big brackets are only on the columns on the sides of where the X brackets are installed, in the corners of the Dome. Those are the strongest walls in the building.

I wonder they are planning to start the process of getting the supporting steel up at the corner walls, first by bolting temporary supporting steel to these weird looking brackets Bees just posted pictures of, supporting the temporary steel further by connecting it to the C shaped brown braces that just finished bolting to the concrete perimeter ring of the roof , then use those supports to start putting up the permanent supporting steel that will ultimately hold up the truss ring?

That would follow with OttoMets was saying.

If you look at the picture I posted above of what the truss ring will look like as a finished product, there is going to eventually be an isosceles triangle installed directly above the dual X braces in each corner (with another support bisecting the isosceles triangle into 2 right triangles).

It looks like the angles for the brackets Bees has pictures might be set up to support those triangles temporarily until the cross truss is finished.

Sounds reasonable, exactly what I'm assuming. Can't wait to see how they go about it.

This is horrible. Looks like the roof collapsed causing a chain reaction.

I think you are right, but time it is awasting. Most of the truss needs to be lifted,and joined before foul weather sets in. High winds make lifting untenable, and those winds increase in frequency and strength as November sets in.
Another nice day in Syracuse with nothing happening on construction site that is observable.

Another nice day in Syracuse with nothing happening on construction site that is observable.

Theres work going on and there was last week. Most of it is on top of the dome and the cranes not used. They’ve lifted crews up there with some lifts.

Today

C53AFE71-3387-48D3-8E12-B651B7B72F40.jpeg

Is this the rendering you were thinking about...

sketch-png.141535
That looks similar to the SuperDome in New Orleans. Not sure if I would prefer it or not. My first concern would be regarding the louvers and whether they would blow in the breeze.

I am assuming they would be installed as movable so that a strong wind would just blow through them. Otherwise, you might impose some really strong forces on the crown truss you don't want to mess with.

Anyway, if that happens, I imagine it making a horrible racket chattering violently in the wind. Maybe birds and leaves getting stuck in it.

Am I off base?

How much extra would it cost to put those babies on?

Is this the rendering you were thinking about...

sketch-png.141535
I see visual attractiveness to both designs though the roller coaster final they picked has no relation to any building on campus in its “Roof Shape.” But you could say other buildings do not relate to each other on campus either.

The louvers give the effect of a solid side coming up from the ring. In Legacies rendering copy the bottom elevation looks quite nice. Painted white or concrete beige it would, as Cuse Only said, obscure the steel and relate somewhat other structures in that it looks more like a roof than a roller coaster.

I'm guessing the accumulation of snow might have caused a problem with drainage with this design and may be why the roller coaster was the design that was chosen.

Either way it's a new $118 M roof and will cause many conversations about it's “look” and we get to enjoy a newer sports facility inside and out when complete.

Last edited:
I see visual attractiveness to both designs though the roller coaster final they picked has no relation to any building on campus in its “Roof Shape.” But you could say other buildings do not relate to each other on campus either.

The louvers give the effect of a solid side coming up from the ring. In Legacies rendering copy the bottom elevation looks quite nice. Painted white or concrete beige it would, as Cuse Only said, obscure the steel and relate somewhat other structures in that it looks more like roof than a roller coaster.

I'm guessing the accumulation of snow might have caused a problem with drainage with this design and is why the roller coaster was the design that was chosen.

Either way it's a new $118 M roof and will cause many conversations about it's “look” and we get to enjoy a newer sports facility in side and out when complete.
I think this is a façade in front of the Rollercoaster, not in place of.

That looks similar to the SuperDome in New Orleans. Not sure if I would prefer it or not. My first concern would be regarding the louvers and whether they would blow in the breeze.

I am assuming they would be installed as movable so that a strong wind would just blow through them. Otherwise, you might impose some really strong forces on the crown truss you don't want to mess with.

Anyway, if that happens, I imagine it making a horrible racket chattering violently in the wind. Maybe birds and leaves getting stuck in it.

Am I off base?

How much extra would it cost to put those babies on?
I don't know. This is an engineering rendering that was posted on here by another poster. The rendering is dated 2018 and that is an interesting list of engineering firms on the side. It appears to be for design development, not construction.

I don't know. This is an engineering rendering that was posted on here by another poster. The rendering is dated 2018 and that is an interesting list of engineering firms on the side. It appears to be for design development, not construction.
ME is an MEP firm. RWDI does wind wake analysis. RWDI would determine where the prevailing wind is, it’s lateral force, and it’s leeward pull force. Snow load and drift would be easier to design around than the lateral forces facade “walls” would create. Louvers would help cut the force, but zero force would definitely be less expensive.

I think this is a façade in front of the Rollercoaster, not in place of.
Yes, I understand it is a façade in front of the steel but would have given the impression of a solid structure. I am glad you found this as I hadn't seen the concept. When I saw roller coaster design I thought it looked like more of an add on to the buildings base. And that is perhaps why they took trips down I 81 to observe it from a distance to determine what the steel looked like from a distance.

IMO the louvered side helps give the building a more integrated look as one complete structure even though the roller coaster is behind it doing the structural and support work. In that regard the louvered roof would be there more for the needed aesthetics of the building. I do not think the roller coaster is attractive at all but it accomplishes its task and sure looks different. Maybe to make it better when we score a touchdown or win a basketball game at night, abrightly lighted device with rotating beam fitted to the top of the steel could run the circumference of the coaster signifying our scores or win in bright orange or maybe someone has already thought of a creative way to light up the steel coaster and its parts in bright orange and look really cool in the Syracuse sky.

Last edited:
Pete Sala mentioned at some point that they were considering louvers to cover the truss structure but the drawings they have released have never featured them and I think this was just something that they just kicked around. Might be something they would only seriously consider if the fan base completely rejects the plain design and demands something more ‘attractive’.

I don’t care about the louvers. I am fine without them. If we lose something functional, like say AC, or new comfortable seating, to free upmoney to install louvers, I would be livid.

Pete Sala mentioned at some point that they were considering louvers to cover the truss structure but the drawings they have released have never featured them and I think this was just something that they just kicked around. Might be something they would only seriously consider if the fan base completely rejects the plain design and demands something more ‘attractive’.

I don’t care about the louvers. I am fine without them. If we lose something functional, like say AC, or new comfortable seating, to free upmoney to install louvers, I would be livid.

Who knows what, if anything, SU may do to enhance the aesthetics, etc., but hopefully a national/international audience tuning in several times a year and the ensuing likely (non-flattering) ripple-type rumblings of "what in the world is that" sentiment plays some role here as well. FWIW, I don't think fans have an issue with the diplomatic "plain design" label you've attached here, as much as the fan base thinking this thing is butt ugly, and more along the lines of 'what in the world' is this contraption. Just my $.02.

This is how we roll at Syracuse. Didn't have AC for 40 years...the roof top roller coaster is "so 315"
(as my 716 Rochester wife sez)

BTW, I'm okay with it now...better than just putting another fabric roof on.

other than people on this board i havent met anyone who thinks the new design is ugly.. its a pretty standard design for this type of roof design.. then again most people i meet have no idea what the design is and have never been by to the Dome for anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom