the crane the crane | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Pete Sala said the installation of the crown truss was going to start in the northwest corner of the dome; the directional side close to the Falk school. If that is true, they are probably even further along in the process than they are here on what appears to be the northeast corner (closest to the Quad).

I can see lots of activity going on around the northwest corner. I am hoping someone can get a picture of what things look like over there. I suspect that will be the corner where we will first see actual pieces of the crown truss start getting put into place. I imagine the southwest corner, the one the camera is trained on, presents more challenges here as it is the corner that has the ticket offices, stadium control and the only large entrance for the building.

From Pete’s earlier comments, it sounds like the southeast corner might be the last to get done. He said they had to build another pad for the big crane that is shown here, currently located in the northeast corner, by the southeast corner so they can do work over there. I assume they can do the work for the southwest corner using Walt and his existing pad. Because of the hill, everything will have to be done higher from the ground, which has to make it harder, and they will have to be mindful of the extra activity in that corner. Makes sense to get the two easiest corners done first and hopefully have the process of building these support mechanisms well established before taking on the toughest (and incidentally most public) corner.

Still no white steel for the crown truss visible in the storage areas surrounding Walt. When that happens, things will really start to get interesting. It has to happen soon if they are going to complete the crown truss by the end of November, which I believe is the goal.
Update:

Two pieces of the crown truss have just been unloaded near Walt’s pad. Pete said some of the pieces were as big as school buses. These fit that bill.

And it looks like another one (or two; there were two on the first truck) has just arrived and is sitting on a truck waiting to be unloaded.

644D9124-2823-4205-8433-C139EEF80882.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure those guys are tethered right?
Yes. They have safety harnesses on...OSHA would shut the site down if they didn't.

There’s no way they’re not tethered. I’m sure OSHA is all over this job daily.

Guys make strange decisions sometimes, you'd be surprised. But it's a priority...even if OSHA isn't on it, supervisors for the subs and the GC and the university are constantly reminding workers.

Guys make strange decisions sometimes, you'd be surprised. But it's a priority...even if OSHA isn't on it, supervisors for the subs and the GC and the university are constantly reminding workers.

No doubt. With NYS Labor Law 240 & 241 (absolute liability) one of those dudes could try to do their best version of Simone Biles up there, fail miserably and wouldn't share a wink of culpability. :)

No doubt. With NYS Labor Law 240 & 241 (absolute liability) one of those dudes could try to do their best version of Simone Biles up there, fail miserably and wouldn't share a wink of culpability. :)

Spoken like someone who's also dealt with these claims before!

Also, this: https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safetyhealth/sh23.shtm#23.1.16

Yep, SU's insurer has deep pockets and everyone knows that. It's in the school's interest to make sure contractors are training their guys and insisting that they stay tethered.

Spoken like someone who's also dealt with these claims before!

Also, this: https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safetyhealth/sh23.shtm#23.1.16

Yep, SU's insurer has deep pockets and everyone knows that. It's in the school's interest to make sure contractors are training their guys and insisting that they stay tethered.

Yes, in my former life. :) Additionally, back in the early 90's, Syracuse University was an account we handled when I worked in Widewaters Pkwy.

There are a bunch of these photos floating around. This project may have been the Empire State Building. I would guess some of these guys are from Upstate New York, Iroquois who were noted for their work on high steel.

I wonder who took the pictures. That was a daring task in and of itself.
The Mohawks in particular had the reputation for being exceptional working on skyscrapers.

There are a bunch of these photos floating around. This project may have been the Empire State Building. I would guess some of these guys are from Upstate New York, Iroquois who were noted for their work on high steel.

I wonder who took the pictures. That was a daring task in and of itself.

Definitely farther uptown, one of the Rockefeller Center buildings, I think.

Those Mohawks were renowned ironworkers, but it sticks in my head that this was an immigrant crew in the photo. Maybe I read a Smithsonian article or something? Dunno.

We've just to wait for the new roof to grow up. I hope it's better assembled than our offensive line.

From the live cam view - the operator of Walt just lifted something onto the flat below the stairs second story ramp. So he/she lifted whatever these things went straight up then the crane swung to the left and deposited the two pieces exactly onto the ramp where three or four construction guys were waiting un - hooked the cable swung back and returned to Walt's yard. How the operator knows when to lower and exactly where is amazing to me. This is the first time I've seen the crane in operation - really interesting.

More activity - there are now people up by the ring and workers below in Walt's yard looking like they are going to hook up and lift one of the school bus size white pieces or not. Now they are gathered aroundanother triangular brown piece maybe for the back that we can't see? - stay tuned.

More activity - there are now people up by the ring and workers below in Walt's yard looking like they are going to hook up and lift one of the school bus size white pieces - stay tuned.

I think it's going to be one of the big brackets, but yeah, there's action coming. I just had a call postponed so I'm gonna watch.

Now they are using the smaller white crane but all activity is at the apex of the triangular brown triangular steel. Maybe we're going to see Walt, the mother of all cranes, lift it?