the crane the crane | Page 138 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The Dome in it's current state isn't safe. It has to be completed. It should be exempt.
I would think they have to be allowed to complete the crown truss for safety reasons, at a minimum. But, I could be wrong.

If we have a college football season i expect most of it will be played as away games. We seem to be a month behind schedule regardless of what the University says. Add in delays based on the virus and a September finish just doesn't seem likely. Hope im wrong.

If we have a college football season i expect most of it will be played as away games. We seem to be a month behind schedule regardless of what the University says. Add in delays based on the virus and a September finish just doesn't seem likely. Hope im wrong.
way too early to say that, assuming there allowed to keep working, the crown should be completed relatively quickly assuming we can get required parts from Montreal

Walt is rising, Skylar is already up, two spirals have arrived and another delivery truck is parked across the street (contents out of view).
Good start to the day!

Update: the other truck is bringing 2 spirals to Skylar.

Last edited:
way too early to say that, assuming there allowed to keep working, the crown should be completed relatively quickly assuming we can get required parts from Montreal
I certainly hope so!

Minus long work stoppage I have to believe it will be ready. Back stays are almost done , I think the South Wall will go quick.

It's a beautiful sunny afternoon in Syracuse , N.Y. we have new product delivered. It would be wonderful to see some of it go up to further the Crown Truss. Backstays are now installed almost all the way down Forestry. I trailer resting on top of another on Irving is being pulled by an Orange rig. But it's getting late - let's go boys get some spirals up there!

It doesn't look like anything is going to happen. The yellow crane is shrinking its boom and coming to a stop, and the crew is walking all over the yard getting nothing done. You have to have yellow collars on the spirals to lift them and there are none. I think we are shutting this baby down.

It's a beautiful sunny afternoon in Syracuse , N.Y. we have new product delivered. It would be wonderful to see some of it go up to further the Crown Truss. Backstays are now installed almost all the way down Forestry. I trailer resting on top of another on Irving is being pulled by an Orange rig. But it's getting late - let's go boys get some spirals up there!
I don’t see a collar on the one spiral out in the open near Walt. Am not optimistic we will see anything go up o the west side today. The next piece to go up on the west side should be a long diagonal spiral to complete the first of the 3 ‘arrow heads’ for the southwest diagonal wall. I suspect it is the spiral that is out in the open. My guess is that the winds are a little too high for them to attempt any changes to the crown truss today.

On the east side, the next thing due to go up is a vertical spiral. That could go up at any time. Might wait until tomottow morning, when the winds are supposed to be calmer.

The old roof, including the old cables, was supposed to be completely removed by tomorrow. I don’t know what the problem is here but there is clearly something holding things up. I would guess when they take the old cables off, they will do this by first attaching an end to a new cable, so when the old cable is detached from the wall, it will not just crash into the concrete seating below, but can rather be lowered, probably by Walt or Skylar, in a slow and controlled fashion, down to the plywood sheets laid out on the lower section of concrete, so the concrete is not damaged by these huge cables. If memory serves, the biggest ones weight 90 tons.

If they aren’t using a cable, maybe they have a couple of special fixtures they can attach to the old cable and a big crane, pull on the old cable to take weight off it, and then release it from the wall and lower it gently to the ground? Whatever gear they are using to do the detachment/placement of the old cables, I wonder if it got held up because of carona and still hasn’t arrived? I know an Italian company is making the new cables. Maybe they made the detachment equipment as well?

It is disheartening to see deadline after deadline missed by large margins. I believe Pete just said the old roof would be removed within a week a couple of days before deflation. What else could have scuttled things so badly they are not even trying to get the cables down, except delays related to corona?

seems hard to believe you can just lay 90 tons down on the seat decking without issues it was designed for loads spread out not centralized like that.

I would almost think it would be easier to attach something in the middle and cut it in half then one crane could just pick it up and take it off. anyone remember how they put them up? we didnt have these big cranes back in the day,

are they laying over each other or are they intertwined?

Weather for Sunday - barely any wind:

1.svg

42°Hi

RealFeel® 44°

RealFeel Shade™ 36°

Plenty of sun :)

Max UV Index: 5 Moderate

Wind: ENE at 8 mph

Wind Gusts: 12 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 0%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 2%

Precipitation: 0.00 in

Rain: 0.00 in

Snow: 0.0 in

Ice: 0.00 in

Weather for Mon:

Day
3/23

29.svg

41°Hi

RealFeel® 33°

RealFeel Shade™ 34°

Breezy in the morning with snow, 1-3" followed by a bit of snow and rain at times in the afternoon

Max UV Index: 1 Low

Wind: E at 13 mph

Wind Gusts: 18 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 80%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 3%

Precipitation: 0.37 in

Rain: 0.10 in

Snow: 2.2 in

Hours of Precipitation: 7.5

Hours of Rain: 1.5

Weather for Tues:
3/24

4.svg

49°Hi

RealFeel® 50°

RealFeel 46°

Milder with times of clouds and sun

Max UV Index: 2 Low

Wind: N at 7 mph

Wind Gusts: 10 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 8%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 0%

Precipitation: 0.00 in

Rain: 0.00 in

Snow: 0.0 in

We are closed down for today but we have plenty to do and lots of product to do it with. Just depends on weather and whose running the project, Cuomo or the Hayner Hoyt Corporation.

They're putting the boom back on the yellow crane...high work to come...
The yellow crane I have researched. It looks like a LIEBHERR LTR 1220. It's boom extends to the piece you said was the boom. That is a latticed extension. I don't know exactly why it is used couldn't find it as yet.

Getting awfully nervous that this project is getting ready to be mothballed. Sure hope we have a roof by the first day of the season - basketball season. :(

Getting awfully nervous that this project is getting ready to be mothballed. Sure hope we have a roof by the first day of the season - basketball season. :(
If they were getting ready to shut this project down they would be dismantling the cranes to go back on trailers. The Company isn't going to have their equipment being idle there for months.

There’s no way this project gets shut down, if they don’t get a roof on that dome ASAP the interior of it will start to crumble and will fall apart fairly quickly

also, the essential vs non-essential is silly. There are very very few things that are actually non-essential if you look through the list