the crane the crane | Page 140 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

60787226-BD62-4757-8B27-F1DAB98CA3BA.jpeg

Amazing placement for me. On the way down to secure the bottom the shadow of the spiral on the girder was so that you could see how close it was to the girder. You can't tell exactly from here but it was very near the girder and the op just eased it down and into the scaffold at the top. Beautiful!
Yeah, the crane crew is pretty good, eh? The diagonal really looks pretty. I do have a question for the engineering folks here: why the roller coaster truss and not one that is uniform in height? An engineering advantage or aesthetics?

tomcat: at the end of each spiral there is on center a male connector that looks like it fits into a female slot at the base - do you know what it is called?

tomcat: at the end of each spiral there is on center a male connector that looks like it fits into a female slot at the base - do you know what it is called?
I do not. Perhaps someone on the crew or someone who works at the sheet factory in Montreal can weigh on on this?

It is Sunday. Still not signs of work removing the cables for the old roof. I wonder what is holding things up so badly? And I wonder when Pete Sala is going to admit in public that they are in danger of missing their deadline? He finally admitted at his last presser that the deadline was tight...

I am hoping to see a spiral pulled out of the storage area along Irving late today. The next step on the west side is to pull the next vertical, outfit it with a collar and get it up there. Still there is no spiral pulled yet and no activity prepping a girder, it does not look like anything is imminent on that front.

Skylar has been sitting all day. Looks like the focus is on getting the back stays for the southeast wall completed right now. Maybe because they are waiting for spirals, girders, or both? The east continues to trail the west by 1 in the back stay and girder install count. The west won the back stay war pretty easily. It looks like they are going to win the girder war as well. Somewhere Leland Stanford and the other Central Pacific people are celebrating.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if they might install the new cables on top of the old cables. Maybe it would be easier. I’m just guessing. At one point they were going to install the new roof over the old one.

Yeah, the crane crew is pretty good, eh? The diagonal really looks pretty. I do have a question for the engineering folks here: why the roller coaster truss and not one that is uniform in height? An engineering advantage or aesthetics?
Go to Google - type in "renderings of the new Dome at Syracuse University." A video will be available to you: click on the first one entitled - skyline, jumbotron highlight big changes to Carrier Dome.

At the beginning pause it just after the start and you will see a gray rendering of the completed project. The reason for the roller coaster is for support. If you look at the LC you will see at the east and west ends the crown truss is the highest. Basically adding required height for the roof. As opposed to the air supported roof which gave the dome its height cables will run through the new fabric strung end to end to get the height as you can see in the rendering.

The columns, box girders that comprise the Crown Truss and fabric will be all white and its appearance should be as nice or better than the previous roof. Add exterior lighting of orange going from the base of the columns to the top and the girders and maybe a name or an actual moving "S" if you will, something that act as a moving part running the length of the girder and there you have it. I think it's going to look great at a night BB game. Truly the one of a kind university domed stadium in the world of sports and a very unique part of SU.

Last edited:
3/23 Monday :rolleyes: eh - they should be able to do something IMO

40°Hi

Breezy with snow, 1-3", then a bit of snow and rain; accumulations mainly on non-paved surfaces

Max UV Index: 1 Low

Wind: E at 13 mph

Wind Gusts: 18 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 81%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 2%

Precipitation: 0.42 in

Rain: 0.14 in

Snow: 2.2 in

Ice: 0.00 in

Hours of Precipitation: 8

Hours of Rain:

At the beginning pause it just after the start and you will see a gray rendering of the completed project. The reason for the roller coaster is for support. If you look at the LC you will see at the east and west ends the crown truss is the highest. Basically adding required height for the roof. As opposed to the air supported roof which gave the dome its height cables will run through the new fabric strung end to end to get the height as you can see in the rendering.
I am not certain, but I do not believe the cables will run through the new. They will have a cable per panel and it will be pulled to the closest piece of ring truss. The east and west sides are taller to deepen the truss as it will be taking more cable load (greater density, less spread out) than the north and south. Also it seems likely the cables themselves to east and west will be longer and thicker and therefore heavier. Another reason for greater height might be to get the cables out of the way of each other.

Today 3/23: Snow will continue through this afternoon. Snow totals 2-4" mostly on no-paved surfaces :(

The sun will come out tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow
There'll be sun

Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs, and the sorrow
'Til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day
That's gray, and lonely
I just stick out my chin
And grin, and say, oh

The sun'll come out tomorrow