the crane the crane | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

So does that mean that the first pic shows the structure that will be stood up later and the current braces are only temporary? In the mock-up, there is nothing that juts outside the parameter so much as what we see there now.

View attachment 172448

yes, they are temporary. They’ll be used for support and counterweight.

yes, they are temporary. They’ll be used for support and counterweight.
my main question is, given the triangles are horizontal now, I assume they will be stood up later?

my main question is, given the triangles are horizontal now, I assume they will be stood up later?

no they will not be stood up. They are there to offset the weight and allow the braces to stand up before they are all connected. Once that happens they will come down.

anything that is the rusted brown color are simply temporary. Anything white is a permanent structure.

I was just talking to some friends, speculating about how the heck the crown truss will be built and we came to the same conclusion.

We think they are going to attach the big, long white tube pieces to the brown temporary triangles while the triangles are lying flat, then pull them up into the correct placement in the crown truss.

It looks to me as though the triangles can rotate, once the bars holding them in place to the columns are undone.

If they can get them all in the right position, joining them together and connecting the permanent (white) steel supports should not be an overwhelming challenge. The last step would be to remove the temporary supports once the crown truss is fully built.

At least that is what my friends and I, not engineers, are thinking.

Last edited:
I was just talking to some friends, speculating about how the heck the crown truss will be built and we came to the same conclusion.

We think they are going to attach the big, long white tube pieces to the brown temporary triangles while the triangles are lying flat, then pull them up into the correct placement in the crown truss.

It looks to me as though the triangles can rotate, once the bars holding them in place to the columns are undone.

If they can get them all in the right position, joining them together and connecting the permanent (white) steel supports should not be an overwhelming challenge. The last step would be to remove the temporary supports once the crown truss is fully built.
I'd kill to have friends who were that interested in the dome roof.

Thinking about it more, I am now thinking that the long white tubes that comprise the top ring of the crown truss are going to get attached to their white permanent supporting bars lying flat on the brown triangle supports, and then pulled up from there to the correct angle to allow assembly of the top ring.

The brown triangle things have been called counter weights. Heeter is right; if they are counterweights, they have to lay flat to counter the weight of the permanent parts of the crown truss they will be attached to.

We should know a lot more when the white, permanent supports for the top ring of the crown truss start arriving. Which I would assume should happen this week.

Does anyone have more details on the schedule?

Isn't the whole crown truss supposed to be in place by the end of November? Once that is complete, will work commence on the steel part of the new roof immediately? What will happen between the time when the crown truss is finished and March? Anything?

I am under the impression that they will not remove the old roof until the new one has been completed. When is the new roof expected to be completed?

tomcat: Have any idea what the new addition since yesterday is? Sitting behind the small white crane it looks like a white rectangular box not quite as long as the white tubes? Wonder what its use will be? They must have off loaded that from the street early this AM - it wasn't there when I watched everyone leave the site yesterday.

A big, white rectangular box that looks like an enormous periscope just arrived on a flatbed truck and was placed next to the big white steel tubes.

What could it be? Inquiring minds need to know.
CD 11052019.png

Last edited:
tomcat: Have any idea what the new addition since yesterday is? Sitting behind the small white crane it looks like a white rectangular box not quite as long as the white tubes? Wonder what its use will be? They must have off loaded that from the street early this AM - it wasn't there when I watched everyone leave the site yesterday.
No idea. It looks roughly the same dimenisions as the weird smaller mystery box already attached to one of the big white tubes. Maybe it attaches to one of the ends of the smaller box? This is quite intriguing.

Also - your pic of the end of the tubes you took on Saturday gives me a closer look at what I saw from the Live Cam. The tubes were sitting for many days when one day last week they attached a yellow collar on all three of the tubes a third of the way down the tube at the end closest to the Dome (Stadium Project). Wonder what they are? Collars on the tubes- duh.

Does not look like any work is going to be attempted today? All is very quiet - no movement at all.

A big, white rectangular box that looks like an enormous periscope just arrived on a flatbed truck and was placed next to the big white steel tubes.

What could it be? Inquiring minds need to know.View attachment 172481
Looks like part of the compression ring (roller coaster) that will hold up the wires that hold up the roof. I assume that will connect to the top of the thinner pole piece that it is resting next to.

Looks like part of the compression ring (roller coaster) that will hold up the wires that hold up the roof. I assume that will connect to the top of the thinner pole piece that it is resting next to.
A compression ring is circular and goes in the center of the roof.

1572981072098.png

for a project thats supposed to be very tight, it always seems to be sitting idle.. maybe getting the materials are the stress point not the actual work.

imagine how dumb we will feel when we find out the new white box is just a temp portapotty

A compression ring is circular and goes in the center of the roof.

View attachment 172483
Compression rings are all shapes and sizes. The one at Tottenham's new stadium was rectangular in shape, as the one holding up the new dome will be here. It's also not circular, it can be box shaped.

Compression rings are all shapes and sizes. The one at Tottenham's new stadium was rectangular in shape, as the one holding up the new dome will be here. It's also not circular, it can be box shaped.

Don't listen to him bnoro - that's a bundt cake

No idea. It looks roughly the same dimenisions as the weird smaller mystery box already attached to one of the big white tubes. Maybe it attaches to one of the ends of the smaller box? This is quite intriguing.

I think you've got it. I'm guessing the long white box is a long section of the top ring (roller coaster) that will sit between two of the long white support poles. It must connect to each pole via the short white mystery box that will presumably sit on top of each support pole. I'm guessing that the yellow collars which the OP mentioned they are attaching to each support pole about one quarter of the length down, is where the wires holding up the roof are then connected to each support pole.

We’d be all over it and have it assembled in no time.
Once you’ve assembled a few IKEA products you’re fully qualified.
Or anything that comes needing assembly that was made in China. :rolleyes: