the crane the crane | Page 197 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

That sounds like a scary meta-stable state to leave things in overnight. What happens if something comes up and you need to tear it all down ASAFP? I would keep everyone going on the clock until that final piece is in and the system is stable. Fire up the floodlights.
They might well do that.

If memory serves me, this is exactly what happened the last night a gap was filled and the torture fixture was used on the north side of the building. They messed around with it for hours and hours and very late in the day, when it was almost dark, they finally got the girder in.

I agree they are likely going to stay at it well past the normal quitting time, which has already passed. This magic moment is probably going to happen with almost no one watching, at round 7:30 pm tonight.

That would be quite unfortunate but if it happens, I understand why and am okay with it. The life of a craniac is harsh. You get what you get and are happy for it.

So OttoMets once the "golden girder" goes in, how will "the compression" work? I guess it makes sense to tighten up the ring to brace against the downward force of the cables, but how exactly does the compression work? I would imagine that the backstays will have to come off first. Maybe then the connections will have to be re-adjusted? Is that why some of the South side girder connections have worker-platforms still attached?

Looks like it is all ready to go. Skylar and the others have retreated from the fixture. Time for Skylar to grab the golden girder?

Will the girder fit within the template currently in the gap? I didn’t see this used on the other side.

tomcat - just took a look at your pic on page 191 of a very well defined shot of a girder clearly showing the ends of the girder specifically the flanges where there are pre - drilled holes for the bolts to fit through this time both girder flanges. It's hard to determine the size due to there being no scale, ( crew standing next to the girder)but these things are huge and I thought theholes would be larger for larger diameter bolts. However the count is horizontally 23 x 2 = 46 and 16 vertically x 2 =32,total nuts and bolts per flange = 78. They must be very large in diameter to make a very secure, tight fit. Since we're at the Golden Girder I wanted to be non - stressed as possible in what the two girders will be joined by exactly and your pic allowed that. Do you agree? Do you know the diameter? 2" - 3" dia. bolts for the nuts to thread onto? If my figures are correct there will be 156 fasteners total counting each end.

It's playtime with the camera zooming and moving...

Ended up at an angle that isn't the best but you can see Skylar is on the move. Maybe the golden girder?

The livestream.weatherstem camera seems to be having a panic attack now too.

Last edited:
Wonder whether they use a viscous adhesive when threading and tightening them for a more secure bond?

I just noticed that there is a construction elevator between the golden girder and Skylar
Dome Elevator.PNG

Good GOD man, quit screwing with the camera. I mean, if you are going in for a tighter shot for the golden girder, I get it. But I was a better camera man in 7th grade A/V club
How do you like this view? No truss of girder.

The way the camera is moving that is the only way we will see it.

OK, so Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is up w/ this camera??
It kinda had the action somewhat in frame, and now has panned down to basically show Gate B, in all its glory. :rolleyes:

Helluva time to get stage fright. :p

They're going to deny multitudes of Craniacs the "money shot"? ;)

OK, so Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is up w/ this camera??
It kinda had the action somewhat in frame, and now has panned down to basically show Gate B, in all its glory. :rolleyes:

Helluva time to get stage fright. :p

They're going to deny multitudes of Craniacs the "money shot"? ;)
and Livestream is short circuiting. I bet Keith Smart is working the camera...

imagine it all happens tomorrow and no one can see anything.
IDK, 2 bucket lifts going up as we speak and Skylar appears to be rotating in the far far far far away corner...