the crane the crane | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

This is a nice picture. Seeing all those holes in this box thing, presumably for bolts, makes me think this is not something temporary. Plus the fact it is whote and has a really nice paint finish on it.

If you look closely at the pictures provided to date of the crown truss roof, the top rink is clearly not tube based. It is made out of rectangles.

Further, if you look at the supports for the roller coast made of rectangle shaped pieces, they look like they might be tubular.

Could it be that these tubes are the supports and the rectangle shaped pieces are the top rink? Look at the one tube with the rectangle stuck at its end.

I think so. I think the rectangle pieces are going to be fitted together up top.

Thoughts?

dome-exterior-taggedinstory1.jpg
To me it looks like the white boxes are permanent ... to connect the rectangular top pieces. The boxes have fittings at the bottom for the vertical/angular support tubes.

One more picture I took from last night. This one was taken near the northwest corner of the dome, near gate C and gate M. This is the area where the most work has been done with the brown temporary steel. I saw this, didn't know what it was and wanted to get a picture to post in hopes someone else would know what it is.

What is this?

View attachment 172586
Guessing, but looks like it may be a fixture to put tension on some of the permanent pieces before final assembly, kind of like a huge screw clamp or in this case more aptly a giant turnbuckle.

Last edited:
One more picture I took from last night. This one was taken near the northwest corner of the dome, near gate C and gate M. This is the area where the most work has been done with the brown temporary steel. I saw this, didn't know what it was and wanted to get a picture to post in hopes someone else would know what it is.

What is this?

View attachment 172586
Looks like some sort of turn buckle

Looking at the definition of a turn buckle, that makes sense to me.

Turnbuckle
Description
A turnbuckle, stretching screw or bottlescrew is a device for adjusting the tension or length of ropes, cables, tie rods, and other tensioning systems. It normally consists of two threaded eye bolts, one screwed into each end of a small metal frame, one with a left-hand thread and the other with a right-hand thread. Wikipedia

It will be interesting to see if they try and do work today while a major snow storm is going on.

Looking at the definition of a turn buckle, that makes sense to me.

Turnbuckle
Description
A turnbuckle, stretching screw or bottlescrew is a device for adjusting the tension or length of ropes, cables, tie rods, and other tensioning systems. It normally consists of two threaded eye bolts, one screwed into each end of a small metal frame, one with a left-hand thread and the other with a right-hand thread. Wikipedia

It will be interesting to see if they try and do work today while a major snow storm is going on.
There are smarter people than me when it comes to this, but I believe wind is more important than snow or rain. So if there’s not much wind but we are getting snow, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them keep working.

There are smarter people than me when it comes to this, but I believe wind is more important than snow or rain. So if there’s not much wind but we are getting snow, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them keep working.

Yup. Snow doesn't stop the show, nor does sub zero temps. It's the wind.

like on t-day when they say dinners ready and you all sit around waiting for something to be finished.. alot of people walking around but not much movement.

like on t-day when they say dinners ready and you all sit around waiting for something to be finished.. alot of people walking around but not much movement.
Thor's Hammer will fly today! I hope.

It appears to be headed up top right now...very slowly and carefully.

I am assuming it is going in the northwest corner, close to the Falk school, as that is the only area close by with the steel to hold these parts in place.