the crane the crane | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Tomcat - IMO you are correct - the rectangular square pieces are the top rail.

I haven't seen delivery of the 4 coaster cars that run on the top during basketball games and are internally lit orange so you may see them go round and round and up and down. :)

Last edited:
Looks like the second support pole for the top ring of the crown truss is going to be attached very soon. It has been raised and is being positioned near Thor's Hammer.

Dome 11182019.jpg

so one a week pace seems the norm?
They have 32 columns. Have to be done by the end of January. That is about 10 weeks. I think 3 a week is what they really need to do.

These are some great pics you've been taking...very much appreciated. I imagine with these good resolution pics they're not from your smart phone but rather one of a higher quality? Especially, with a couple of those quality night pics you took.

iPhone XS

They have 32 columns. Have to be done by the end of January. That is about 10 weeks. I think 3 a week is what they really need to do.
What is driving end of January target?

so one a week pace seems the norm?
It'll definitely pick up pace once they get into the rhythm of things.

Looks like another one is going up right now.

What is driving end of January target?
I am not sure. Pete Sala mentioned it in an article I linked a couple of pages earlier in this thread.

This is what I think:

I believe they can't start work on the new roof until the crown truss is completely in place. I think work on the new roof will probably start the minute the cross truss is completed. I haven't seen a good breakdown of the steps and deadlines that remain after the crown truss is completed but I suspect it is probably something like this:

Task
Complete crown truss, due 1/20
Complete steel portion of new roof, due 5/20
Remove old roof, lights and sound system, due 6/20
Complete PTFE portion of new roof 7/20
Install new center hung scoreboard, new wifi, new sound system, new lighting, due 9/20

It is kind of surprising no schedule has been made public yet. Maybe one has and I just missed it. My guess is that the powers that be do not want this public so in case of overruns, the public doesn't freak out.

By the way, the other support tube is being brought up to the roof by Walt right now.

It is kind of surprising no schedule has been made public yet. Maybe one has and I just missed it. My guess is that the powers that be do not want this public so in case of overruns, the public doesn't freak out.
There is zero incentive for them to publicize deadlines unless they are going to miss the final one.

now know why the crew was in yesterday - Walt is busy right now lifting a white support cylinder - watch! Actually my brief look thought it was lifting but it is just hanging there. Now up.

Last edited:
So they are just finishing up the first of the 'arrowheads' featured as part of the crown truss. It looks like there are three of them each of the four corners of the truss (see attachment). Going to guess that since this is where the X braces and the extra supports for the truss are located, it is the part of the truss that is the weakest.

It would make sense to me to get these 12 arrowheads up first as the crown truss is built but since we only have the temporary steel supports needed to brace the arrowheads installed on the northeast and northwest corners of the building, this is probably not going to be the case.

Dome Drawing.png

I bet the next thing that goes up are the vertical support tubes on sides of this arrowhead. They will probably continue the top rail 'roller coaster' on both sides of the arrow head next.

It will be interesting to see if they put the tubes up right or the pieces of the top rail. My money is on the tubes, then the rails.

So they are just finishing up the first of the 'arrowheads' featured as part of the crown truss. It looks like there are three of them each of the four corners of the truss (see attachment). Going to guess that since this is where the X braces and the extra supports for the truss are located, it is the part of the truss that is the weakest.

It would make sense to me to get these 12 arrowheads up first as the crown truss is built but since we only have the temporary steel supports needed to brace the arrowheads installed on the northeast and northwest corners of the building, this is probably not going to be the case.

View attachment 173009

I bet the next thing that goes up are the vertical support tubes on sides of this arrowhead. They will probably continue the top rail 'roller coaster' on both sides of the arrow head next.

It will be interesting to see if they put the tubes up right or the pieces of the top rail. My money is on the tubes, then the rails.
My assumption is that the "corners" are dealing with the resolution of force in a more dynamic way (simply "in two directions"). That is why the corners have to be reinforced for lateral movement (the "X" braces) and those pieces get build first. In theory, the "sides" of the truss hold the roof, but the "corners" hold the "sides"