the crane the crane | Page 200 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

It’s in place. Just tighten the bolts and we have a truss.
Yup. Drink up craniacs! We have a crown truss!

3023638F-4BFD-4B57-8622-26B6F2C034FB.jpeg

I don’t think it was an accident.
Okay, lay it on me. Why would someone move the camera so no one could see the biggest moment in the entire more than 12 month long project an hour before that moment?

What was their motive? Did they want to give BillSU a stroke? Did they hope to cause me to have a fatal heart attack? Who did it? Why did they do it?

Are you accusing Pete Sala of attempting to murder BillSU? Myth busters finds that theory plausible!

Literally as it’s happening. Bolts nearly in:
4CECFEEC-15B2-4C70-AB88-907EA51F68B9.jpeg

Look for two more really cool up close pictures of the final signed girder with a Cuse flag and American flag on it itself to come (soon from a friend as for some reason I can’t get it to link).

Last edited:
Does anyone know the plan for building the new roof?

From looking at the drawing, it looks like the entire roof hangs from the four cables that define the rectangle that define the border between the hard, opaque part of the roof and the PTFE semi translucent center part.

I am guessing that the first goal is going to be to get those four cables hung, then connected to the many cables on the crown truss, which will be tightened up to form arches that will provide the basis for the arched roof we see below.

Once the four cable based arches are in place, I think thinking they will just hang the roof from them. The hard part of the roof will be supported by the outer ring and the inner support rectangle.

Am I in any way correct on this? Anyone know?

No knowledge, but I will let you know as soon as I can find anything. I don't believe the "rigid" portion is to hang from the ring truss. I think the render is difficult to read, but I think those cables go to the PTFE portion only. The rest of the roof may be supported in any number of ways from underneath.

Okay, lay it on me. Why would someone move the camera so no one could see the biggest moment in the entire more than 12 month long project an hour before that moment?

What was their motive? Did they want to give BillSU a stroke? Did they hope to cause me to have a fatal heart attack? Who did it? Why did they do it?

Are you accusing Pete Sala of attempting to murder BillSU? Myth busters finds that theory plausible!
Video of the final piece is a valuable commodity to SU, Hoyt, and/or Pfeifer...someone will be publishing it themselves...exclusively. When they're darn good and ready...

I find it very odd that right before they hang the final girder the camera is moved and right after it’s installed it returns. That not a coincidence. Either they want the final installation video for some reason, or there was something they didn’t want us to see.

Dear Mr. Sala,

It was with great interest that all of us Craniacs watched the "fixture" get installed this afternoon. The view was good, no problem.

However, about 5:30 P.M. someone moved the Lawrinson camera and in its current position has cut off the top of our view so we cannot see the girders. Since the last girder is expected to be installed tomorrow we wondered if the cameras position could be re - adjusted so we can view this happening.

We would all appreciate your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

William James Phillips, SU 1968

Sent to Mr. Sala

On March 27, 2020 at 3:47 PM Peter E Sala <pesala> wrote:

I will look into it.

Peter E Sala | Vice President & Chief Facilities Officer | Managing Director, Carrier Dome

1320 Jamesville Ave. | 900 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, New York 13244

t 315.443.3517 m 315.952.5021 e pesala w facilities.syr.edu

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu

Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 3:31 PM
To: Peter E Sala <pesala>
Subject: Lawrinson camera

Dear Mr. Sala,

My name is Bill Phillips a '68 graduate of the school of Industrial Design.

I have been, since the beginning of this project, the daily play by play announcer of the Dome construction site writing what happens each day to about a thousand people - members of syracusefan.com and guests.

I try and make it fun for me and them.

Up until a day ago we had a great view provided by you or Hayner of the Dome, the main yard, the arrival of and offloading of spirals, and girders, the loading of the counterweight tray for "Walt" and the attachment of lifting straps and collars in the main yard. It's exciting for us Craniacs and keeps us graduates occupied as we watch history being made.

However yesterday the camera was moved from the position it was in for months to a very "cropped" position of the Dome as it now only shows us the live stream from edge of the west side to edge of the east side of the Dome excluding the main yard and all that goes on there - sort of confining if you will.

We don't see what we were used to observing which was much more interesting. There have been many who are wondering if the position could be moved to its original position?

If it is at all possible could you consider moving the camera back to where it was? Many would thank you for your effort. We all know your title and responsibilities - you are a very busy man and this is just another little thing to attend to but would make people on the site very happy and appreciative.

Thank you for your attention and for reading this.

Sincerely,

William J. Phillips, Jr. SU 1968