the crane the crane | Page 202 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Well, Gee whiz, Craniacs, spent all this time and didn't get to see the Golden Girder get put in place live so much commotion and rage about the camera it was murder

I mean after ALL this time doing play by play host to a site that you could be positive with and feel good about a person with a dubious brain changed the cameras position so we had the view and clarity of a trout

Thank God for tomcat, he of calm demeanor saved me from a stroke and he of a fatal heart attack
for which I'm sure I will be totally grateful and he'll be able to enjoy another Schweppes kicked back

I took a look at the replay and it wasn't bad but there's nothing like live after all this time, live for all to see
not a rotten replay of sort, a magical attachment downloaded ugh...live, was the place for all of us to be

Oh well, it's time to move on, look - the American Flag and SU's S and all the signatures from the crew and all I bet this final day about the Crown Truss for them was not only about work but for us having a ball

A BIG glass of Quintessa Cabernet, an ice cold Heineken - took it out of the freezer all dressed out in green
The wine if you have never had it is quite expensive had another glass, anymore and I won't see the screen

So it's on to the roof - I wonder if there are any cameras up inside the Dome so we just transfer from on high
to something lower with a camera that will rotate with a zoom ah, I'm just dreaming looking at the evening sky

To everyone on that crew, some who risked their lives everyday, to all including Greg Tucker, Walt's crane Op
I say thank you and good fortune, some will move on some will be here - we need a roof that's gonna POP

You can count on us Crainiacs to be here describing all as we have, providing something to look through and
see what's happening in the court of kings minus the courts seats and everything that's big and very grand

50 years of not one losing season in basketball we need to keep that going and it's not easy ask Mr. JAB
season in and out we have more twenty wins 39 of 44 seasons than a lot of people know because of JAB

And his host of many who thrived on Manley and the Dome court went on to the pros many did it of course
we swell with pride, this the biggest arena hearts full of BB, FB, LX and the sort

Too much I have said but to all fellow Craniacs this day was full of history never will we see an amazing feat
like this, so enjoy your evening think of what's next Ladies and Gentlemen with SU in our heart we can never be mistreated or defeated.

Last edited:
OttoMets said the black thing that was just put on the truss is designed to push the girders away from each other temporarily so there is room to get the golden girder in.

His info has consistently been good. I believe him. They used the same device to bridge the gap and complete the truss on the north wall.

I believe it took a long time to get it properly attached and to get the spacing right so the last girder can go it. Given it is almost quitting time, I think it likely the crown truss will have to wait until tomorrow to get done. They can't even remove Skylar until the fixture is fully set in place.

Can you imagine the forces involved to move those girders even a quarter of an inch? Can you imagine the pressure on the person making these adjustments? What happens if they get too aggressive and crack one of the girders?

This has to be a scary time for everyone involved in the project. So close but so far.
[/QUOTE
So poetic.

Agreed, adjust the cameras position and leave it alone!
Probably being run by some of the guys that produce basketball games and change the camera angle mid dunk or the ones that like to zoom in on the face of a volleyball player for too long prior to the serve so that you miss them actually contacting the ball on the serve.

So now what?
I was say the top priority is getting Walt dismantled and taken to his next gig.

He was recently laid out almost flat on the ground. I assume this was done to facilitate him being taken apart.

It is a really windy cold rainy day in CNY. Not a great day to be up in the air, taking down back stays.

I will guess that the priorities are as follows:

1) break down Walt and send him off
2) remove the back stays to allow the crown truss to compress on itself and ready it for holding the new roof. This will also open up the sides of the building for cranes and other equipment that will presumably be helping to put up the new roof.
3) Put up the new electric blue platforms for the girders on the southwest wall (I assume that is where they are going)
4) Get the 4 cables that will form the foundation for the new roof in place and tied securely to the crown truss.
5) Build the new roof
6) Install the new lighting, sound and wifi systems
7) Install the new center hung scoreboard

They have work to do performing demo above the 3rd concourse (that is apparently where all the bags of debris are coming from). They are also installing pipes for the new AC and apparently adding some bathrooms. I am going to hope they will be added behind the two end zones. That is where they are needed the most. Especially on the west (basketball) side.

They have to reinstall all the seating again.

Once the roof is up, they can remove all the protection that was put in place over the ribbon scoreboards, the private boxes, player entrances, etc.

There is a lot of work to be done. Pete Sala has said this (getting the new roof up) is the hardest part of the project.

Again, I am hoping some streaming cameras can be installed inside the dome so fans can follow the progress. It is a great way to promote the brandand generate interest in the sports programs for almost no cost.

Let's get 'er done!

Anyone have any idea what’s up with the tree? A coworker said it’s “a thing”.

Apparently that is a thing that steelworkers do on the final piece of construction as a topper or something.

Alright team Orange Craniacs. Enjoy the victory, celebrate til your heart is content (rumour has Tom is halfway through a case of ginger ale, TexanMark has already started two tailgates, and Hoffman's has sold out in CNY). Rest up tomorrow. Wednesday, we await the next SU project!
I was say the top priority is getting Walt dismantled and taken to his next gig.

He was recently laid out almost flat on the ground. I assume this was done to facilitate him being taken apart.

It is a really windy cold rainy day in CNY. Not a great day to be up in the air, taking down back stays.

I will guess that the priorities are as follows:

1) break down Walt and send him off
2) remove the back stays to allow the crown truss to compress on itself and ready it for holding the new roof. This will also open up the sides of the building for cranes and other equipment that will presumably be helping to put up the new roof.
3) Put up the new electric blue platforms for the girders on the southwest wall (I assume that is where they are going)
4) Get the 4 cables that will form the foundation for the new roof in place and tied securely to the crown truss.
5) Build the new roof
6) Install the new lighting, sound and wifi systems
7) Install the new center hung scoreboard

They have work to do performing demo above the 3rd concourse (that is apparently where all the bags of debris are coming from). They are also installing pipes for the new AC and apparently adding some bathrooms. I am going to hope they will be added behind the two end zones. That is where they are needed the most. Especially on the west (basketball) side.

They have to reinstall all the seating again.

Once the roof is up, they can remove all the protection that was put in place over the ribbon scoreboards, the private boxes, player entrances, etc.

There is a lot of work to be done. Pete Sala has said this (getting the new roof up) is the hardest part of the project.

Again, I am hoping some streaming cameras can be installed inside the dome so fans can follow the progress. It is a great way to promote the brandand generate interest in the sports programs for almost no cost.

Let's get 'er done!
Using the standard Craniacs Guide to Construction,* that will only take two weeks, right?

*A compilation of the movie "Money Pit", impatience, a "friend of a friend" contractor, and DIY furniture assembly experience.

The next objective is to convince the powers that be to put a couple of cameras inside the dome, so we can follow the project through the building of the roof. Pete, Hayner Hoyt, can you please hook us up?

It will help keep some ruffians out of trouble for the rest of spring and the summer.

There have been some terrific photos of the crown truss installation. I wonder if the coaching staff sends them to recruits.