the crane the crane | Page 201 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

So OttoMets once the "golden girder" goes in, how will "the compression" work? I guess it makes sense to tighten up the ring to brace against the downward force of the cables, but how exactly does the compression work? I would imagine that the backstays will have to come off first. Maybe then the connections will have to be re-adjusted? Is that why some of the South side girder connections have worker-platforms still attached?

I think gravity will more or less do its thing as the backstays are removed. Though there's probably more to it than that; I wonder if there's some strategic order to their removal.

The roller coaster is complete. And apologies to CuseLegacy...

1587428329140.png

I think gravity will more or less do its thing as the backstays are removed. Though there's probably more to it than that; I wonder if there's some strategic order to their removal.
Gravity or not ... either way i'm having a Saranac IPA (legacy) to celebrate the golden girder, the anniversary of Pearl's passing, Jeremy getting back to fighting shape and a sweet addition to the '21 FB class!

View attachment 180045
Check out the "Go Orange" message, gotta love it. And look close for the signature of worlds greatest crane operator, the legend Greg Tucker! Thanks Greg for helping to make this happen!
The chancellor and Petey signed it? Nice. They deserve it. Job well done by everyone, including the architects/engineers that came up with this design.

This was a very ambitious and difficult undertaking. So glad they were able to pull it off.

I was walking thru turnstyles last yr.
They had them at Gate B last season for football and basketball. Never understood why it was necessary to go through the turnstile if they were also reading the bar code on the ticket. Maybe a global pandemic will finally drive a simple efficiency that should have happened years ago. That could be cool.

I think in your case they were trying to slow your entrance down for a better chance at a selfie

The chancellor and Petey signed it? Nice. They deserve it. Job well done by everyone, including the architects/engineers that came up with this design.

This was a very ambitious and difficult undertaking. So glad they were able to pull it off.
As I mentioned to you guys privately this is going into the annals of construction history as a hell of an accomplishment being the first time EVER something like this was done and accomplished. Not without some consternation and worry along the way! What a great job and achievement by those guys. Well done gents!

Last edited:
As I mentioned to you guys privately this is going into the annals of construction history as a hell of an accomplishment being the first time ever something like this was done and accomplished. Not without some consternation and worry along the way! What a great job and achievement by those guys. Well done gents!
It's been wonderful to be able to watch moment by moment. It's been an obsession...and we're not done!

It's been wonderful to be able to watch moment by moment. It's been an obsession...and we're not done!
The next objective is to convince the powers that be to put a couple of cameras inside the dome, so we can follow the project through the building of the roof. Pete, Hayner Hoyt, can you please hook us up?

It will help keep some ruffians out of trouble for the rest of spring and the summer.