the crane the crane | Page 211 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

This is a lose, lose in my opinion, especially with Ephesus being in our back yard and the impressive work they have done; i.e., two most recent Super Bowl venues, more in the immediate future, new billion dollar stadiums, etc.

Obviously, I haven't an idea of the potential stringent "liquidation" type penalties/expenses they'd face for missing the deadlines, but I can't blame them if they are legit due to this unforeseen pandemic and relative labor, product/supply chain type issues that weren't foreseeable when the agreement was made. Therefore, their reasoning for wanting to add the "force majeure" language. Appears to be just more of the typical cut throat BS, etc. that is so commonplace in the construction industry, and where the GC/Construction Mgr. uses its upper hand for its sole benefit.
I've been involved in the construction industry and can assure you that the customers use their upper hand for their sole benefit. It's a 2-way street.

Perhaps, but all that being said, there's a reason SU went with Ephesus over Musco in the first place.
I'm sure there were many reasons but changes to the original proposal may negate that.

A little more Wow factor from a facility not dissimilar to ours. I would expect next gen of what they did in Vancouver.

A little more Wow factor from a facility not dissimilar to ours. I would expect next gen of what they did in Vancouver.
It’s a huge upgrade from what was in the dome but no way is that on par with what Ephesus does.

It’s a huge upgrade from what was in the dome but no way is that on par with what Ephesus does.

Keep in mind, I imagine they installed this when they put their roof on in 2011 so the technology has certainly advanced. No question these are the two leaders in the space. Don't think we lose much going with our second choice.

I really hope they get the lighting right for television. I always thought the Dome was kind of off - too flat. It helped when the new field turf was installed, because the deeper green gave more contrast. The gray/silver combined with the diffused natural light was deadly. Anyway, this is a big opportunity to start from a clean slate.

And I will add, the chance to have lighting more focused on the basketball court, and allow the stands to go more dark would be HUGE for the basketball game experience. Fans would go nuts!

I really hope they get the lighting right for television. I always thought the Dome was kind of off - too flat. It helped when the new field turf was installed, because the deeper green gave more contrast. The gray/silver combined with the diffused natural light was deadly. Anyway, this is a big opportunity to start from a clean slate.

And I will add, the chance to have lighting more focused on the basketball court, and allow the stands to go more dark would be HUGE for the basketball game experience. Fans would go nuts!
A 1990s bulls type intro would be very cool

I do not believe Mr. Sala can make this happen, he can only request it. Most if not all construction projects are under control of the contractor until completed. Mr. Sala could request a camera, however if the contractor is against this it can not happen.
The previous camera was not inside the project itself and could be controlled by SU admins.

Sorry, but this is likely backward. The reason that big construction projects often have multiple angles of streaming views is because the contractor wants them: it's free advertising.

I have little doubt that Sala's a major factor in the lack of cameras.

Went for a walk on campus yesterday afternoon and there were numerous construction works on top of the crown truss installing what appeared to be railings.

On a side note it is impressive to see the structure up close.

Went for a walk on campus yesterday afternoon and there were numerous construction works on top of the crown truss installing what appeared to be railings.

On a side note it is impressive to see the structure up close.
I assume there is a ladder constructed up one of the spirals?

The touchless concession stands SU is going to try out is smart getting ahead of the curve with that. It is what all stadiums will be moving over too now in a COVID and eventually a POST COVID world we are living in. I was always against "self-checkout" at places but in today's world, its the best way to go to stay safe and we are going to see it everywhere eventually. Heck, Wegmans rolling out their app to scan and shop as you go is just what every supermarket will be in time. Save on payroll and less interaction which in a post COVID world is what is needed.

I don't need 4 people at the Dome touching my hotdog in a silver tin foil bag before it gets to me. Let them make it, put it someplace to stay warm where I can grab it, scan it, and pay and move on. The days of the 20 people looking like headless chickens running around behind each concession stand where everyone is touching everything needs to be DONE AND OVER WITH!

Same with the touchless bathrooms (guessing that just means automatic flush and motion detector to turn on the sinks to wash hands). The new world we live in and as much stuff that can be touchless the better.

The non-moving scoreboard doesn't seem like a big deal to me since it will be so big. It will be interesting what are the first 4 concession stands they change over(I mean they might have empty stadium games until 2021 but still, we should know what they did first and the new food places/options they bring in).

It would suck to have empty stadium games this year or no games at all, but from a renovation standpoint, the stadium not being in use might mean they can move this time-frame along ahead of schedule and get more done quicker. And it sounds like some of the tweaks/changes they are making on the fly are for the better.

The touchless concession stands SU is going to try out is smart getting ahead of the curve with that. It is what all stadiums will be moving over too now in a COVID and eventually a POST COVID world we are living in. I was always against "self-checkout" at places but in today's world its the best way to go to stay safe.

Same with the touchless bathrooms (guessing that just means automatic flush and motion detector to turn on the sinks to wash hands). The new world we live in and as much stuff that can be touchless the better.

The non-moving scoreboard doesn't seem like a big deal to me since it will be so big. It will be interesting what are the first 4 concession stands they change over(I mean they might have empty stadium games until 2021 but still, we should know what they did first and the new food places/options they bring in).

It would suck to have empty stadium games this year or no games at all, but from a renovation standpoint, the stadium not being in use might mean they can move this time-frame along ahead of schedule and get more done quicker. And it sounds like some of the tweaks/changes they are making on the fly are for the better.

I thought all bathrooms were supposed to be "touchless"?

Or was I doing it wrong?

I thought all bathrooms were supposed to be "touchless"?

Or was I doing it wrong?
HA HA!! I hear ya. They made a point of talking about that in the article so I am wondering if they went over and beyond to do every possible thing touchless (like sinks, paper towel dispensers...etc) in every restroom in the building. When maybe previously some things in certain restrooms wouldn't have been touchless.

"Sala said that the school also plans to make improvements to at least some of the restrooms for the fall. There will be an emphasis on making them touchless as well. "

As a fan in quarantine I would LOVE multiple cameras inside the Dome during construction but I’m guessing a project of this scope under a fast approaching deadline may not want video evidence or whatever rules they may be “bending” in there.
Just a hunch.

We have 5 season tickets for football and four for basketball. We were really happy with the self-serve kiosks they opened last year and used them frequently.

Lots of additional choices and relatively quick turnaround time.

would not be surprised if they had some of the hot stuff queued up for a similar experience, provided an app to scan and pay with your phone as you go, etc.

When all is said and done though, not so sure about the overall impact it will have when you are sitting in such close proximity to so many others.

Would not be surprised if they came up with creative ways to avoid log jams in the hall ways (dismissing section by section in opposite ends of stadium, roping off concourses to try and enforce a one way only traffic pattern on on side versus the other with a barrier in between, etc.)

A lot of this will end up being impacted by legislation pertaining to liability/presumptions etc.

SUOrange44

This article is from October in regards to Ephesus Lighting. I'm still quite disappointed of this 11th hour turn of events. As another has stated, no doubt the lighting will be a huge improvement from the Dome's current lighting, but Ephesus has a fixture they were going to use that was brand new to the industry, state of art, that no other competitor has and yet to be seen. They are being used in both the new Raiders' billions of dollars facility in Vegas and the Rams/Chargers new stadium in LA.

I think we’re under contract with everybody. It’s no secret anymore we’re working with O’Connell Electric. Ephesus (Lighting) will be a sub-contractor to them. They’re in the process of putting the lights up in (football) stadiums in Vegas and L.A. They have a new (light) fixture that is the leader in the industry. It’s an incredible fixture. The technology is changing so much and, as we’re working with them every day, we’re learning a little bit as we work with them as far as how we’re going to mount the fixture. We’re working on camera angles.

I would go to Ephesus’ last install but this fixture is brand new. I think they’re installing it for the first time in Vegas.I know they did the lighting at U.S. Bank Stadium (in Minnesota) but that was their old lighting. It was hard for me to get a real feel for it. This fixture is the only one of its kind. ... The fixture has the LEDs in the fixture and they have ways to tone the white light.They can dim the arena or have it a different colored tone. It’s really, really cool. We can integrate it with our sound system and our video board. (We) will be able to sit there and say this is our gameplan, this is how I want the opening to be. ... The lighting will tie to the sound or the video. It’s all tied together. We’ll be able to darken the arena and do like they do with the Bulls’ pre-game. I think they started it. I can’t wait to, my goal, this is what I dream of at night.

Last edited:
The biggest short-term problem the DOME has honestly is parking. IF there are games with fans this year, or maybe to have some sort of social distancing they only let season ticket holders go to games and then spread out once inside the dome, I don't know how they do parking at SkyTop or Manley with people literally jammed on busses getting taken to the game.

Either they cap off every bus at like 20 people max and have god knows how many busses running every 3 minutes OR they just close off SkyTop/Manley parking and everyone is on their own when it comes to parking and getting to the game. The days of jamming the busses to the max with god knows how people standing on top of each other and every seat being filled have to be done with I think at least in the short term until there is an accessible COVID vaccine to the general public. Which could be god knows how long, a year, 18 months or maybe longer.

This article is from October in regards to Ephesus Lighting. I'm still quite disappointed of this 11th hour turn of events. As another has stated, no doubt the lighting will be a huge improvement from the Dome's current lighting, but Ephesus has a fixture they were going to use that was brand new to the industry, state of art, that no other competitor has and yet to be seen. They are being used in both the new Raiders' billions of dollars facility in Vegas and the Rams/Chargers new stadium in LA.

I think we’re under contract with everybody. It’s no secret anymore we’re working with O’Connell Electric. Ephesus (Lighting) will be a sub-contractor to them. They’re in the process of putting the lights up in (football) stadiums in Vegas and L.A. They have a new (light) fixture that is the leader in the industry. It’s an incredible fixture. The technology is changing so much and, as we’re working with them every day, we’re learning a little bit as we work with them as far as how we’re going to mount the fixture. We’re working on camera angles.

I would go to Ephesus’ last install but this fixture is brand new. I think they’re installing it for the first time in Vegas.I know they did the lighting at U.S. Bank Stadium (in Minnesota) but that was their old lighting. It was hard for me to get a real feel for it. This fixture is the only one of its kind. ... The fixture has the LEDs in the fixture and they have ways to tone the white light.They can dim the arena or have it a different colored tone. It’s really, really cool. We can integrate it with our sound system and our video board. (We) will be able to sit there and say this is our gameplan, this is how I want the opening to be. ... The lighting will tie to the sound or the video. It’s all tied together. We’ll be able to darken the arena and do like they do with the Bulls’ pre-game. I think they started it. I can’t wait to, my goal, this is what I dream of at night.
Yup this other company isn’t in the same league as what Ephesus does. Still good but it doesn’t give me the wow factor. I sure they were not quivering over a few dollars. Crazy the local company isn’t doing this job.

The touchless concession stands SU is going to try out is smart getting ahead of the curve with that. It is what all stadiums will be moving over too now in a COVID and eventually a POST COVID world we are living in. I was always against "self-checkout" at places but in today's world, its the best way to go to stay safe and we are going to see it everywhere eventually. Heck, Wegmans rolling out their app to scan and shop as you go is just what every supermarket will be in time. Save on payroll and less interaction which in a post COVID world is what is needed.

I don't need 4 people at the Dome touching my hotdog in a silver tin foil bag before it gets to me. Let them make it, put it someplace to stay warm where I can grab it, scan it, and pay and move on. The days of the 20 people looking like headless chickens running around behind each concession stand where everyone is touching everything needs to be DONE AND OVER WITH!

With that being a distinct possibility, if not more of a actual probability, it really makes the 11th hour change of not using Ephesus Lighting more difficult to swallow, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom