the crane the crane | Page 228 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I believe Skylar's days are numbered.
They have Skylar down on flat on the ground, with a smaller crane next to her, poised to break her down. I am no crane expert, but this looks like the end for her.

I think you are dead on with this.

Last edited:
if money was such an issue why did we keep her around for an extra month? or did we pay by the month anyway?

if money was such an issue why did we keep her around for an extra month? or did we pay by the month anyway?
I would guess that SU didn't send any contracts with crane companies. They signed with a general contractor. The GC decides what resources are needed to get the job done.

But I could be wrong. You are right; Skylar did little once the crown truss was completed. She did help some with the removal of the back stays. I guess that was why they kept her around.

Now they are removing the wood that protected Walt's crane pad west of the dome. I guess the tall skinny yellow crane that replaced Walt is light enough no extra protection is needed.

I would guess that SU didn't send any contracts with crane companies. They signed with a general contractor. The GC decides what resources are needed to get the job done.

But I could be wrong. You are right; Skylar did little once the crown truss was completed. She did help some with the removal of the back stays. I guess that was why they kept her around.

Now they are removing the wood that protected Walt's crane pad west of the dome. I guess the tall skinny yellow crane that replaced Walt is light enough no extra protection is needed.
Purely for information purposes and not to correct. A job this big typically runs through a CM. That CM in some cases can also have a GC arm but a CM or construction manager is like the administration/coordinator. They hold the contract and insurance. They buy the trades. They represent the entire construction team (plumber, electrician, carpenter, GC, structure, fabrication,etc) to the owner and the design team usually lead by the architect (mech, elec, plumbing engineers, structural engineer, civil and code).

Purely for information purposes and not to correct. A job this big typically runs through a CM. That CM in some cases can also have a GC arm but a CM or construction manager is like the administration/coordinator. They hold the contract and insurance. They buy the trades. They represent the entire construction team (plumber, electrician, carpenter, GC, structure, fabrication,etc) to the owner and the design team usually lead by the architect (mech, elec, plumbing engineers, structural engineer, civil and code).

Maybe it's someplace else in this thread, but were we under the impression that SU is acting as CM for this job? I thought I heard that somewhere.

dome sunrise.jpg

Found this picture on the FabriTec web site:

This is the first one I have seen where some of the arches point down and some point up. Looks weird. Not a big fan.

This is also a better look at the cabling that connects the crown truss to the roof and helps support it. In this drawing, you can see that the hard shell part of the roof will be supported, at least in part, by the crown truss. There are spurs off the main supporting cables that tie the crown truss to the PTFE section that connect to all the cables that support the hard shell.

I don't understand what all the lines on the PFTE are supposed to be. Are they just lines on the fabric?

It looks at first glance as though there will only be supporting cables connecting the crown truss to the roof on the north and south ends of the building, but if you look close, you can see that this is not the case; the are on the east and west sides of the building as well. They just didn't do the perspectives for the illustration properly and they are almost hidden by the spirals.

This makes me very curious regarding how they are going to get this in place. If Pete Sala is right, they will have 2 months tops to get it all done (plus get the sound, lights, and scoreboard up).

It sounds very ambitious to me.

1591363676467.png

1591363676467.png

Maybe the PTFE comes in panels?
that are then connected together?

Or those could be some sort of cables, that strengthen & reinforce the fabric, kinda like ripstop nylon?

It's odd. For some reason in my head I was visualizing the PFTE part being much smaller. Those renderings are totally different than what I was imagining. I am pleasantly surprised I was wrong.

Maybe the PTFE comes in panels?
that are then connected together?

Or those could be some sort of cables, that strengthen & reinforce the fabric, kinda like ripstop nylon?
I am assuming the PTFE material comes in rolls that are a little wider than the distance between the cables that will support the PTFE part of the roof. I assume they will connect them to both sides of the cable, and go from one side to the other. That looks like how it was done with the original roof. Not sure though.

The PFTE part of the roof is supposed to comprise about 2/3s of the new roof, according to some article I read.

I am assuming the PTFE material comes in rolls that are a little wider than the distance between the cables that will support the PTFE part of the roof. I assume they will connect them to both sides of the cable, and go from one side to the other. That looks like how it was done with the original roof. Not sure though.

The PFTE part of the roof is supposed to comprise about 2/3s of the new roof, according to some article I read.
I always find myself going back to that video. Around the 5:20 mark you can see the cabling and then the application of the material being installed in sections. I believe the new Dome roof will be similarly installed.

This another Pfiefer stadium roof project. This is a real hard roof.
Cool. That one has even more parallels to what is happening here, I think.

You can see the same crown truss used (even the same girders). I wonder if we are going to use the same opaque thick square plastic panels as the outer layer of material for the hard shell part of the roof?

It would say this is likely. I know we have seen that before in other Pfeiffer projects.

The one drawing we have of the new roof using a perspective from inside the building makes it look like there will be a layer of material between the hard roof and the interior of the building. Maybe for insulation, maybe to absorb sound, maybe to hide some ugly mechanicals inside the hard roof? Not sure.
If there really is a layer of material like that, I have to believe it will absorb a lot of sound and make the new building noticeably quieter than it could be.

The same URL that had the new drawing of the exterior of the new roof has a bigger, better quality version of the drawing of the new roof from the inside.

From this, you can see a lot more than you could before. You can see that the cables that support the roof look like they are going to be pulled across from wall to wall and kept tight, making them almost (maybe completely?) flat.

The arches will sit on top of these cables, supported by columns. You can see, I think, what NJCuse97 was talking about, how the arches on top of the supporting cables form interior trusses (the one on the upper left is particularly easy to see).

This is way different than what I was thinking it would look like. I hope the PTFE really is clear enough that you can see the blue of the sky on a clear day. I think Pete Sala indicated it would not, but it would let in more light than the old roof. The old roof had only one layer in the middle section, but I think that layer was a little more opaque than the PTFE will be. And the middle portion of the roof on the new roof, that lets in more light, will be significantly bigger on the new roof than the old one.

I think it will be a significantly more airy, open feel than we are used to.

Thoughts?

Interior 060520.jpg

Found this picture on the FabriTec web site:

This is the first one I have seen where some of the arches point down and some point up. Looks weird. Not a big fan.

This is also a better look at the cabling that connects the crown truss to the roof and helps support it. In this drawing, you can see that the hard shell part of the roof will be supported, at least in part, by the crown truss. There are spurs off the main supporting cables that tie the crown truss to the PTFE section that connect to all the cables that support the hard shell.

I don't understand what all the lines on the PFTE are supposed to be. Are they just lines on the fabric?

It looks at first glance as though there will only be supporting cables connecting the crown truss to the roof on the north and south ends of the building, but if you look close, you can see that this is not the case; the are on the east and west sides of the building as well. They just didn't do the perspectives for the illustration properly and they are almost hidden by the spirals.

This makes me very curious regarding how they are going to get this in place. If Pete Sala is right, they will have 2 months tops to get it all done (plus get the sound, lights, and scoreboard up).

It sounds very ambitious to me.

View attachment 182226

View attachment 182226
They are not upside down, that is just the way the "fabric" drapes between them. The truss is moving in the direction away from the "camera" and that is fabric spanning between the trusses. Look at the gods eye sketch again and imagine with this that you are looking straight down the line.. The wire hangers are all there too, but they line up with the crown truss so that you can't see them. The bottom of this, the part under the hard roof, holding it up is likely to be a rigid piece of steel. The center portion, the PTFE will support itself (attached of course to the hangers all around it's perimeter). That is why the "bubble truss" is needed, so it can support itself. The interior rendering is difficult because it is an odd angle and they are trying to mimic some sort of "fish eye lens" effect. It is my guess that because of this it was too difficult for whoever did the rendering to show the trusses and therefore they represented it as a solid monolithic material. I don't think that will be the case in reality, but I have been wrong here before and I will be again I am sure. I am not sure why the fabric has those lines, but it is very possible that the fabric is directional or reinforced with some sort of mesh to improve its structural performance. Again I think the interior rendering is too conceptual and we will not see that much through it, so I don't think we will see that meshing expressed either.

Cool. That one has even more parallels to what is happening here, I think.

You can see the same crown truss used (even the same girders). I wonder if we are going to use the same opaque thick square plastic panels as the outer layer of material for the hard shell part of the roof?

It would say this is likely. I know we have seen that before in other Pfeiffer projects.

The one drawing we have of the new roof using a perspective from inside the building makes it look like there will be a layer of material between the hard roof and the interior of the building. Maybe for insulation, maybe to absorb sound, maybe to hide some ugly mechanicals inside the hard roof? Not sure.
If there really is a layer of material like that, I have to believe it will absorb a lot of sound and make the new building noticeably quieter than it could be.

The same URL that had the new drawing of the exterior of the new roof has a bigger, better quality version of the drawing of the new roof from the inside.

From this, you can see a lot more than you could before. You can see that the cables that support the roof look like they are going to be pulled across from wall to wall and kept tight, making them almost (maybe completely?) flat.

The arches will sit on top of these cables, supported by columns. You can see, I think, what NJCuse97 was talking about, how the arches on top of the supporting cables form interior trusses (the one on the upper left is particularly easy to see).

This is way different than what I was thinking it would look like. I hope the PTFE really is clear enough that you can see the blue of the sky on a clear day. I think Pete Sala indicated it would not, but it would let in more light than the old roof. The old roof had only one layer in the middle section, but I think that layer was a little more opaque than the PTFE will be. And the middle portion of the roof on the new roof, that lets in more light, will be significantly bigger on the new roof than the old one.

I think it will be a significantly more airy, open feel than we are used to.

Thoughts?

View attachment 182243
I covered a lot of this in my post prior to this, but this rendering should not be trusted as pertains to the roof. That said, I might think that the scale/layout of the video board is accurate.