the crane the crane | Page 240 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Multiple sections of the crane...

View attachment 183660
I feel as if these photos were delivered in this manner:
help me obi wan leia.gif

I believe there are roof deck pieces staged at Kennedy Square along with a few more white crane pieces.

I believe there are roof deck pieces staged at Kennedy Square along with a few more white crane pieces.
I had today off. Took the opportunity to drive by and check things out this afternoon.

Stopped by Kennedy Square. All the crane pieces were gone, which if you hav been looking at the live cam from Lawrinson, is no surprise (that crane is almost complete now). They did have a bunch of stacks of some fairly long thin strips of grey metal stored there. I saw some of that at the Thompson Road lots too. Not sure what it is. Maybe they go over the roof cables to protect from from wear and tear over time? Hard to believe they will be left in plain sight. Quite unsightly.
Then I drove over to the campus. You can’t drive down Forestry (something about building a cable; go figure). I gawked at the crown truss and cables from Irving for a bit, then drove around to the parking lot near Hendricks Field to see if there was anything interesting sitting there.

There was.

When I first saw these, I thought they were spirals. What the heck? Do they have extras? As I looked closer, it was clear they were arcs for the PTFE roof. They are really big; almost spiral size. I am very happy to see that they painted over that skanky rusty look they had in an video where they were being worked on in Texas. Looks like they used the same heavy duty lustrous white paint used on the spirals and girders.

C95D1691-B001-49F2-92A5-6F20862437E7.jpeg

There was also a full size trailer with a big Pfeiffer sign on it where I suspect they are storing rolls of PTFE fabric. Lastly, there were lot of big wooden crates that look like they might be the same size as the standard white opaque tiles Pfeiffer seems to use for the outer wall of many of their stadium roofs.

I am hearing the plan is to get the cable net fully installed by July 20. At that point, the plan is to start installing the new roof.

It is encouraging to see a lot of the materials that will be needed to install the roof coming into place.

My guess is things will go like this:

Connect a second support cable to each roof cable so the ends of the roof cable are free and can be securely connected to the tension ring. This support cable will run from the crown truss to the point on each roof cable where the PTFE roof starts. Looks like there will be a couple of additional short connections from that to points where the hard roof support cables meet the roof cables.

This frees the ends of the roof cables so they can be securely connected to the tension ring. Then they can finally pull the support cable up to get the cable net into its final position. Each roof cable will gently rise until it gets to the point where the PTFE roof starts. At that point, the roof cables will run horizontally to the opposite side of the building, where another supporting cable holds it in place and it slopes gently from there to the tension ring. This will give the cable net the shape of an inverted bowl,

But those vertical steel supports will now be pointing straight up, held in place by their alignment cables, so the PTFE section of the roof will look kind of like an angry porcupine. Except with giant white steel quills.

At this point, I think the cable is ready to support the load of the new roof.

My guess is that they will work from the outside in, and focus on the hard shell part of the roof first.

Once that has been completed (I think the exterior surface is going to be those Pfeiffer opaque tiles), all that is left is the PTFE part of the roof. But that will be no easy task. Those steel arcs are huge, very heavy and each one needs to be placed and secured in a very precise way, over 100 feet in the air. The two red and the two white cranes are going to be on their game. The operators will have to rely on cameras and maybe verbal instructions from the crew up top to make this happen.

Once the arcs are in place, they can finally install the PFTE fabric and for the first time since early March, the dome will have a functional roof again.

At that point, they can start removing all the plastic protecting the ribbon scoreboards, the private boxes, the locker rooms, etc. The focus of the work turns inside, where the crew needs to install new lighting, a new sound system, 2 new end zone scoreboards, the new center hung scoreboard, and hopefully WIFI.

The aluminum benches also need to be put back into place. A new field turf field needs to be installed, marked and painted. I would imagine the whole place is coated in dust and grime and needs a good cleaning.

I think they are going to convert all concession stands to become grab and go stands. The bathrooms are being renovated for COVID to be touch less and new bathrooms are being installed. And I am sure there is a lot of stuff I am not aware of.

There is an enormous amount of work still to be done. August and the first part of September are going to be crazy times for this project. Let’s hope this crew can find a way to get it done. And hope that there are games to be played there once it is complete!
8D694D04-CAF1-4F29-8B75-C6F5AE1228DB.jpeg
122123A5-09B5-47A0-B6ED-1DDE7CCAD11B.jpeg

Last edited:
I had today off. Took the opportunity to drive by and check things out this afternoon.

Stopped by Kennedy Square. All the crane pieces were gone, which if you hav been looking at the live cam from Lawrinson, is no surprise (that crane is almost complete now). They did have a bunch of stacks of some fairly long thin strips of grey metal stored there. I saw some of that at the Thompson Road lots too. Not sure what it is. Maybe they go over the roof cables to protect from from wear and tear over time? Hard to believe they will be left in plain sight. Quite unsightly.
Then I drove over to the campus. You can’t drive down Forestry (something about building a cable; go figure). I gawked at the crown truss and cables from Irving for a bit, then drove around to the parking lot near Hendricks Field to see if there was anything interesting sitting there.

There was.

When I first saw these, I thought they were spirals. What the heck? Do they have extras? As I looked closer, it was clear they were arcs for the PTFE roof. They are really big; almost spiral size. I am very happy to see that they painted over that skanky rusty look they had in an video where they were being worked on in Texas. Looks like they used the same heavy duty lustrous white paint used on the spirals and girders.

View attachment 183684

There was also a full size trailer with a big Pfeiffer sign on it where I suspect they are storing rolls of PTFE fabric. Lastly, there were lot of big wooden crates that look like they might be the same size as the standard white opaque tiles Pfeiffer seems to use for the outer wall of many of their stadium roofs.

I am hearing the plan is to get the cable net fully installed by July 20. At that point, the plan is to start installing the new roof.

It is encouraging to see a lot of the materials that will be needed to install the roof coming into place.

Connect a second support cable to each roof cable so the ends of the roof cable are free and can be securely connected to the tension ring. This support cable will run from the crown truss to the point on each roof cable where the PTFE roof starts. Looks like there will be a couple of additional short connections from that to points where the hard roof support cables meet the roof cables.

This frees the ends of the roof cables so they can be securely connected to the tension ring. Then they can finally pull the support cable up to get the cable net into its final position. Each roof cable will gently rise until it gets to the point where the PTFE roof starts. At that point, the roof cables will run horizontally to the opposite side of the building, where another supporting cable holds it in place and it slopes gently from there to the tension ring. This will give the cable net the shape of an inverted bowl,

But those vertical steel supports will now be pointing straight up, held in place by their alignment cables, so the PTFE section of the roof will look kind of like an angry porcupine. Except with giant white steel quills.

My guess is that they will work from the outside in, and focus on the hard shell part of the roof first.

Once that has been completed (I think the exterior surface is going to be those Pfeiffer opaque tiles), all that is left is the PTFE part of the roof. But that will be no easy task. Those steel arcs are huge, very heavy and each one needs to be placed and secured in a very precise way, over 100 feet in the air. The two red and the two white cranes are going to be on their game. The operators will have to rely on cameras and maybe verbal instructions from the crew up top to make this happen.

Once the arcs are in place, they can finally install the PFTE fabric and for the first time since early March, the dome will have a functional roof again.

At that point, they can start removing all the plastic protecting the ribbon scoreboards, the private boxes, the locker rooms, etc. The focus of the work turns inside, where the crew needs to install new lighting, a new sound system, 2 new end zone scoreboards, the new center hung scoreboard, and hopefully WIFI.

The aluminum benches also need to be put back into place. A new field turf field needs to be installed, marked and painted. I would imagine the whole place is coated in dust and grime and needs a good cleaning.

I think they are going to convert all concession stands to become grab and go stands. The bathrooms are being renovated for COVID to be touch less and new bathrooms are being installed. And I am sure there is a lot of stuff I am not aware of.

There is an enormous amount of work still to be done. August and the first part of September are going to be crazy times for this project. Let’s hope this crew can find a way to get it done. And hope that there are games to be played there once it is complete!
View attachment 183682View attachment 183683

a) You're killing it here - great observations, this is what I could be doing if I bothered to take photos, did research, and really gamed out the likely construction sequence. Well-written.

b) I've been wondering, not that anyone here is likely to know, it'd be interesting to know how much the Dome's utility bill has dropped in the last four months compared to the typical March-July period. Random, I know. But keeping the roof inflated must've been a huge drain.

a) You're killing it here - great observations, this is what I could be doing if I bothered to take photos, did research, and really gamed out the likely construction sequence. Well-written.

b) I've been wondering, not that anyone here is likely to know, it'd be interesting to know how much the Dome's utility bill has dropped in the last four months compared to the typical March-July period. Random, I know. But keeping the roof inflated must've been a huge drain.
Hmmm that's why my National Grid stock dropped.

Thought I heard like a $100G a month bill

I bet that SU was paying a lot for insurance for the dome roof too. With all the problems air supported domes have had, and the dome’s location in the snowiest big city in the country, it had to be high.

Hi all!

Long time follower of the board who's never posted but who's engineering brain has been extra interested in this roof project. I never thought I'd stare at a live stream with so little movement, for so long. Thanks to everyone for their efforts tracking down info on this!

As I'm more of a visual person, I figured I'd share a couple sketches of what I've been seeing. Below is a cross section of what I believe one cable span will look like when all is done. The cables appear to have been lifted pretty close to their final position today as there isn't much slack left on the single cables.
Profile sketch.PNG

As you can see, each span consists of 3 cables. A set of dual cables connecting at the crown truss on each side, and a single cable that connects close to where the old roof cables did. DoubleDee posted a pic that appears to show where this single cable connects to the old structure earlier this month.
single connection.jpeg

The dual cables are really doing the heavy lifting here. Around the perimeter, the dual cables are on top, connected to the single cables below by what I've labeled as support wires in light blue on the sketch above. These support wires connect to the single cable below at those white wing things. As the cables move towards the center, the cables cross, so that the dual cables are on the bottom, and the single cable is on top. This is where the white vertical steel supports come into play, which I've drawn in magenta. On top of these, will go the steel arches, which I've shown in green (not even close to being drawn to scale, obviously). The actual roof materials will be connected at the level of the single cable/steel arches. This means the dual cables will actually be inside the building, below the roof towards the center of the roof, probably helping to explain the seemingly odd (read "not that tall") dimensions of the scoreboard. You can actually see this setup pretty clearly in the rendering.
2018-01-21-syracuse-interior-footballjpg-11448e383baae36b.jpg

Everything was lifted into place by the strand jacks on top of the crown truss, which aren't actually connected to the end of the dual cables, but farther down at what I've labeled the "connection point" to allow the "attachment point" to be connected to the crown truss. Below is a zoomed in sketch of the portion inside of the dotted orange circle on my sketch above which shows this.
Zoom view.PNG

You can actually see what I believe is this strand jack cable "connection point" in the pics posted by DoubleDee as well, but I've reached my attachment limit. Post #5,872, first pic at around 11 o'clock if you're interested. You'll see a metal fitting with the dual cable running through it, and a third cable connected to the middle. Also in the photo, on the far side of the stadium, you can see the slack toward the ends of the dual cables beyond where this connection is made allowing the cable to attach to the crown truss.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the roof come into shape!

Hi all!

Long time follower of the board who's never posted but who's engineering brain has been extra interested in this roof project. I never thought I'd stare at a live stream with so little movement, for so long. Thanks to everyone for their efforts tracking down info on this!

As I'm more of a visual person, I figured I'd share a couple sketches of what I've been seeing. Below is a cross section of what I believe one cable span will look like when all is done. The cables appear to have been lifted pretty close to their final position today as there isn't much slack left on the single cables.
View attachment 183700
As you can see, each span consists of 3 cables. A set of dual cables connecting at the crown truss on each side, and a single cable that connects close to where the old roof cables did. DoubleDee posted a pic that appears to show where this single cable connects to the old structure earlier this month.
View attachment 183701
The dual cables are really doing the heavy lifting here. Around the perimeter, the dual cables are on top, connected to the single cables below by what I've labeled as support wires in light blue on the sketch above. These support wires connect to the single cable below at those white wing things. As the cables move towards the center, the cables cross, so that the dual cables are on the bottom, and the single cable is on top. This is where the white vertical steel supports come into play, which I've drawn in magenta. On top of these, will go the steel arches, which I've shown in green (not even close to being drawn to scale, obviously). The actual roof materials will be connected at the level of the single cable/steel arches. This means the dual cables will actually be inside the building, below the roof towards the center of the roof, probably helping to explain the seemingly odd (read "not that tall") dimensions of the scoreboard. You can actually see this setup pretty clearly in the rendering.
View attachment 183702
Everything was lifted into place by the strand jacks on top of the crown truss, which aren't actually connected to the end of the dual cables, but farther down at what I've labeled the "connection point" to allow the "attachment point" to be connected to the crown truss. Below is a zoomed in sketch of the portion inside of the dotted orange circle on my sketch above which shows this.
View attachment 183703
You can actually see what I believe is this strand jack cable "connection point" in the pics posted by DoubleDee as well, but I've reached my attachment limit. Post #5,872, first pic at around 11 o'clock if you're interested. You'll see a metal fitting with the dual cable running through it, and a third cable connected to the middle. Also in the photo, on the far side of the stadium, you can see the slack toward the ends of the dual cables beyond where this connection is made allowing the cable to attach to the crown truss.

Thanks for posting, good stuff.

There was.

View attachment 183684

View attachment 183682View attachment 183683
Great report. Thank you.

Hi all!

View attachment 183700
View attachment 183701
View attachment 183702
View attachment 183703

This is a great set of drawings and an excellent explanation of how the cabling will work. The cables on the drawings of the new roof coming from the crown truss appear to be single cables, so I assumed the double ones had to connect directly to the crown truss.

But I think you are right. If you look closely at the drawing on the Geiger site, which I think is the one with the best quality, you can see pretty clearly that the cables coming from the crown truss continue seamlessly as they break the roof line, supporting the vertical supports and then heading back up to the crown truss on the other side.

If I understand you correctly then, the ends of the double cables, which are currently not supporting weight, will eventually be attached directly to the crown truss, which will free the strand jacks and temporary supporting cables currently supporting the double cables. Correct?

If I understand you correctly then, the ends of the double cables, which are currently not supporting weight, will eventually be attached directly to the crown truss, which will free the strand jacks and temporary supporting cables currently supporting the double cables. Correct?
How I read it too. The Strand jack Lifting Cable in the zoomed sketch of BMoreFan will lift the Connection point - and the Dual cable portion below it - closer to the Crown truss and about level with where the Attachment point will meet the truss. The remaining portion of the Dual cable will thus sag more. But once Attachment to the truss is made, the Strand jack will slowly release tension on the Lifting cable. This will lower the Connection point again, remove the slack and straighten the Dual cable while transferring the load onto it.

Last edited:
based on this I wonder how they would have accomplished a moving scoreboard. I suppose some kinda framework would have extended for 30-40 yds from the 50 to the endzone area to roll it on?

This is a great set of drawings and an excellent explanation of how the cabling will work. The cables on the drawings of the new roof coming from the crown truss appear to be single cables, so I assumed the double ones had to connect directly to the crown truss.

But I think you are right. If you look closely at the drawing on the Geiger site, which I think is the one with the best quality, you can see pretty clearly that the cables coming from the crown truss continue seamlessly as they break the roof line, supporting the vertical supports and then heading back up to the crown truss on the other side.

Correct. The sketch is an accurate representation of what I believe the current design is (not that it has changed during construction, but it changed several times prior to construction). Your sketch was good also, but it won’t be a system of parallel hoop trusses, it will be the gods eye configuration. The white web trusses in the Carrier parking lot will be the structure for the hard roof and I believe they will span from cable to cable. Because of this you can start to understand the pace of the cable raising. Those web trusses are already fabricated, as are the roof panels according to your post. One cable gets out of place and all that material fabricated is in jeopardy.

based on this I wonder how they would have accomplished a moving scoreboard. I suppose some kinda framework would have extended for 30-40 yds from the 50 to the endzone area to roll it on?
I imagine it would have been as you describe. There would have been a track or tracks that are also beams or trusses to span the length hung below the “double cable” span.

As NJCuse97 said, Correct. The dual cables are just that, two separate cables each with their own attachment point to the crown truss, directly next to each other. You can see the attachment point at the end of each cable here.
attachment point.PNG

And you can see two large holes for that center pin to go through directly below the strand jack here.
strand jack 3.jpeg

Note, there is another set of holes similar to what the strand jack is attached to directly below the points where the I believe the cables mount. Something like this isn't really something you pull extra tight to gain some slack to make your connection. I'm guessing the strand jack will (or already has) pull the cable system essentially to it's finally position, then a separate jack or other piece of equipment will attach to these holes below the cable mount points to remove the little bit of slack that exists at the end of the cables to make the attachment to the crown truss. Everything dual cable related will be tight at this point, so releasing the strand jack at the end will transfer the weight, but I doubt you would see any movement or slack being taken up at that point.

Down at the single cable connections there appears to be more of a turnbuckle type connection going on. Which makes sense as these aren't holding the load at the moment.

How I read it too. The Strand jack Lifting Cable in the zoomed sketch of BMoreFan will lift the Connection point - and the Dual cable portion below it - closer to the Crown truss and about level with where the Attachment point will meet the truss. The remaining portion of the Dual cable will thus sag more. But once Attachment to the truss is made, the Strand jack will slowly release tension on the Lifting cable. This will lower the Connection point again, remove the slack and straighten the Dual cable while transferring the load onto it.
Oooh, I love it when you talk dirty. lol :p

Hi all!

View attachment 183700
View attachment 183701
View attachment 183702
View attachment 183703

Well that's just like your opinion man.

Quick update:

It is hard to say 100% with my resolution, but it looks like the double cables have been connected directly to the crown truss and the strand jacks have been removed. The double cables appear to be stretched tight.

We might be done with that part of the project.

071320.jpg

Quick update:

It is hard to say 100% with my resolution, but it looks like the double cables have been connected directly to the crown truss and the strand jacks have been removed. The double cables appear to be stretched tight.

We might be done with that part of the project.

View attachment 183824
And look at the ad that popped up for me below your post! ;)
(note: I was in Michigan this past weekend.)

He might be able to help...

4E19D63F-E431-4647-9E34-E86253276342.jpeg

Last edited: