the crane the crane | Page 241 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

So I assume this is the part where Bees or Tomcat or TM sneak in with a fball and see if the board is gonna hang too low. looking at it now I would say that people in the upperdeck will not be able to see people on the other side upper deck once you get more than half way up it or so

So I assume this is the part where Bees or Tomcat or TM sneak in with a fball and see if the board is gonna hang too low. looking at it now I would say that people in the upperdeck will not be able to see people on the other side upper deck once you get more than half way up it or so
The netting doesn’t seem much higher.

Good to get independent confirmation on what was already reported.

This last video was really well done and very cool to watch. Someone did a nice job filming and editing it.

If you watch closely, you can see the net was not directly connected at the start, but gets directly attached by the end.

So we have the cable net directly attached to the crown truss. That means the cable net can now hold a significant load.

In theory, you could start hanging the components of the roof from the net now.

In practice, it looks like the focus has changed to the white connector things (let's call them wingees for now) that are attached to the single cables that run from one side of the tension ring to the other.

It looks like there are 3 on each end of these cables. These are going to be the points from which the hard shell roof will be hung.

But before loads can be attached to the wingees, a vertical cable needs to be run from the double cable that runs above the single cable, down to the wingee. This has to be done for each wingee.

The length of the cables needs to be precise as this will play a role in determining how much the hard shell part of the roof will slope.
When they finish this, I think they can start hanging the roof. Should be late this week, early next week.

Things are about to get real.

This last video was really well done and very cool to watch. Someone did a nice job filming and editing it.

If you watch closely, you can see the net was not directly connected at the start, but gets directly attached by the end.

So we have the cable net directly attached to the crown truss. That means the cable net can now hold a significant load.

In practice, it looks like the focus has changed to the white connector things (let's call them wingees for now) that are attached to the single cables that run from one side of the tension ring to the other.

It looks like there are 3 on each end of these cables. These are going to be the points from which the hard shell roof will be hung.

But before loads can be attached to the wingees, a vertical cable needs to be run from the double cable that runs above the single cable, down to the wingee. This has to be done for each wingee.

The length of the cables needs to be precise as this will play a role in determining how much the hard shell part of the roof will slope.
When they finish this, I think they can start hanging the roof. Should be late this week, early next week.

That's a really wingee dingee description. ;)

This brings up a good question.

With the new roof in place, how far will it be from the roof to the field?

The NFL has a minimum requirement of 85 feet. The new center hung scoreboard at JerryWorld is 90 feet from the field.

I know the walls of the dome are 90 feet high. Assuming they start at field level (I believe this is correct), the lowest the scoreboard should hang is even with the tops of the walls.

Is that going to be possible?

We know the height of the roof is going up 29 feet, from 159 feet to 188 feet.

From that 188 foot number, we have to account for the height of the vertical support bars near the center of the roof. I don't think that number has been published. I am guessing it is about 20 feet. Add another foot or two for cable connectors above and below. That takes us to around 23 feet.

We know the new scoreboard is going to be 20 feet high.

We are going to need to account for some space for the support cables to hang the scoreboard on the roof cables. Because the roof slopes down from the center, and the scoreboard is huge, this could be a significant distance. Let's say 20 feet. Can't imagine it being worse than that.

That is 63 feet. If we round up to 65 feet, the bottom of the scoreboard would still be at least 123 feet above the field.

Unless I am missing something, or the numbers provided to date are not accurate, we should be fine.

188 Highest point of roof (from the outside)

165 Bottom of roof

145 Top of scoreboard

125 Bottom of scoreboard

0 Field

It was bittersweet watching the Dome roof deflate not long ago. So many memories under the roof. As a 29-year-old, that teflon roof is all I knew.

We're about to get something really cool soon

you might be close.
looking a this you would say the low point is around a 1/3 up from the supports at the 50? If the west side walls are 88 then the south side ring would be around 60-70 ft above the wall, if you low ball it at 60 that still leaves 20 for the board and 10 for the cabling and that still puts you in the 120-130 range.

of course if our board engineers could identify the crane model sitting the 50 in the picture that would also tell us pretty close to how high off the floor the lower cables are right now.

could also be that the board will not be near the max height when it goes up too

1594749556746.png

This brings up a good question.

With the new roof in place, how far will it be from the roof to the field?

The NFL has a minimum requirement of 85 feet. The new center hung scoreboard at JerryWorld is 90 feet from the field.

I know the walls of the dome are 90 feet high. Assuming they start at field level (I believe this is correct), the lowest the scoreboard should hang is even with the tops of the walls.

Is that going to be possible?

We know the height of the roof is going up 29 feet, from 159 feet to 188 feet.

From that 188 foot number, we have to account for the height of the vertical support bars near the center of the roof. I don't think that number has been published. I am guessing it is about 20 feet. Add another foot or two for cable connectors above and below. That takes us to around 23 feet.

We know the new scoreboard is going to be 20 feet high.

We are going to need to account for some space for the support cables to hang the scoreboard on the roof cables. Because the roof slopes down from the center, and the scoreboard is huge, this could be a significant distance. Let's say 20 feet. Can't imagine it being worse than that.

That is 63 feet. If we round up to 65 feet, the bottom of the scoreboard would still be at least 123 feet above the field.

Unless I am missing something, or the numbers provided to date are not accurate, we should be fine.

188 Highest point of roof (from the outside)

165 Bottom of roof

145 Top of scoreboard

125 Bottom of scoreboard

0 Field
Im sure they have it dialed in.
Just like the weight of the books in the library when it was built:(

I assume the white trusses in the parking lot will span wingee to wingee. The wings will act as bearing plates.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but where do those huge metal arches we saw being made in a video go? In between the white things holding the cables?

I assume the white trusses in the parking lot will span wingee to wingee. The wings will act as bearing plates.
Cool.

I have a hard time understanding how the arcs will be hidden inside the hard shell part of the roof.

Will they follow along the single cables, from wingee to wingee? That is how how it appears things will work for the PTFE part of the roof.

Or will they span wingee to wingee across the single cables? I am thinking if that ran them that way, it would make things there more stable.

I will also note that the Geiger drawing clearly show two cables that run diagonal to the existing cable net.
While they are diagonal to the cable net, the drawing show them as both running down the center of the building, one from north to south and one from east to west. The one from east to west would presumably connect the two columns with lightning rods.

These cables have not been installed yet. I would think they would need to be in place before any steel is hung. Probably going to happen soon.

Cool.

I have a hard time understanding how the arcs will be hidden inside the hard shell part of the roof.

Will they follow along the single cables, from wingee to wingee? That is how how it appears things will work for the PTFE part of the roof.

Or will they span wingee to wingee across the single cables? I am thinking if that ran them that way, it would make things there more stable.

I will also note that the Geiger drawing clearly show two cables that run diagonal to the existing cable net.
While they are diagonal to the cable net, the drawing show them as both running down the center of the building, one from north to south and one from east to west. The one from east to west would presumably connect the two columns with lightning rods.

These cables have not been installed yet. I would think they would need to be in place before any steel is hung. Probably going to happen soon.
Looking at the Geiger rendering it appears the arcs go in the center area of the Dome roof. I thought the hard shell was the perimeter area? The only two diagonals I see in that rendering are arcs running through the center of the middle section.

Looking at the Geiger rendering it appears the arcs go in the center area of the Dome roof. I thought the hard shell was the perimeter area? The only two diagonals I see in that rendering are arcs running through the center of the middle section.
I agree that arcs will be used throughout the PTFE section of the roof.

NJCuse97 is saying that arcs will also be used as part of the hard shell section. If trust what he says. The cool thing is, I think we will be able to see them going up pretty clearly. I don't know how much those things weigh but they have to be pretty heavy.

The workers are going to have to be very careful working with them so high in the air.

Old Archie and I sat around one morning before a Standard Oil meeting and came up with the idea of the greatest concrete stadium in these 45 states...

I was born in Cleveland and lived there in my early youth...your referenced triggered this memory for some reason. These stations were all over the place once upon a time in Ohio. :)

1594830137542.png

FasterCuse - hope this helps answer your question

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but where do those huge metal arches we saw being made in a video go? In between the white things holding the cables?
Finally got some information about what I was calling the "hoops" that support the fabric from the gentleman below, the Engineer of Record at Geiger and how they are attached to the cable truss and when he expects the roof to be ready to go up and the "fabric arches" to be visible - just got his answer around 7:30 P.M.

Dear Bill,

We received your email and hope we can answer your questions. As the Engineer of Record for the new roof Project, I am flattered at your interest in the project. As for your question, the steel tube arches that support the tensioned membrane (ptfe-coated fiberglass fabric) are referred to as the “fabric arches”. I am afraid there is no established technical name for these elements and like many components in a project like this, their name develops in the course of the project rather organically by the construction team. In this case, the name is appropriate.

The fabric arches are supported by the cable truss which is in turn supported by the new steel crown truss and the original concrete ring beam. The fabric arches are attached to the cable truss by the way of steel fabrications that bolt to the cable intersection clamps. The typical arch attachment is made via a machined ball & socket so as to “pin” the arch to the cable truss. You should be able to see these being attached on the web cam after the cable truss is pulled into place and jacked, which will be occurring over the next 4 to 5 weeks.

I hope this answered your questions. We appreciate your interest in the Project.

Thank you and Best Regards,

David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
2 Executive Blvd. Suite 309
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

The fabric arches as you can see in the Geiger renderings below I believe support the fabric for the roof. However they also have another function which is to help keep the snow from accumulating on the roof. I may be wrong here but I remember that being discussed.
I am trying to find the pages that showed the ends of the arches being heated and also the ball and socket which pin the arch to the cable truss which tomcat mentioned has to be done carefully as the arches are
very large. There was also a page that showed the pins. If I can find it I'll post it as it shows the pieces clearly and how the end of the arch fits over the ball and socket attached to the cable truss.

1591363676467.png

1591363676467.png

FasterCuse - hope this helps answer your question

Finally got some information about what I was calling the "hoops" that support the fabric from the gentleman below, the Engineer of Record at Geiger and how they are attached to the cable truss and when he expects the roof to be ready to go up and the "fabric arches" to be visible - just got his answer around 7:30 P.M.

Dear Bill,

We received your email and hope we can answer your questions. As the Engineer of Record for the new roof Project, I am flattered at your interest in the project. As for your question, the steel tube arches that support the tensioned membrane (ptfe-coated fiberglass fabric) are referred to as the “fabric arches”. I am afraid there is no established technical name for these elements and like many components in a project like this, their name develops in the course of the project rather organically by the construction team. In this case, the name is appropriate.

The fabric arches are supported by the cable truss which is in turn supported by the new steel crown truss and the original concrete ring beam. The fabric arches are attached to the cable truss by the way of steel fabrications that bolt to the cable intersection clamps. The typical arch attachment is made via a machined ball & socket so as to “pin” the arch to the cable truss. You should be able to see these being attached on the web cam after the cable truss is pulled into place and jacked, which will be occurring over the next 4 to 5 weeks.

I hope this answered your questions. We appreciate your interest in the Project.

Thank you and Best Regards,

David M. Campbell P.E.
Geiger Engineers
2 Executive Blvd. Suite 309
Suffern, NY 10901
t 845. 368.3330 x 111
m 845. 729.1063
dmc@geigerengineers.com

The fabric arches as you can see in the Geiger renderings below I believe support the fabric for the roof. However they also have another function which is to help keep the snow from accumulating on the roof. I may be wrong here but I remember that being discussed.
I am trying to find the pages that showed the ends of the arches being heated and also the ball and socket which pin the arch to the cable truss which tomcat mentioned has to be done carefully as the arches are
very large. There was also a page that showed the pins. If I can find it I'll post it as it shows the pieces clearly and how the end of the arch fits over the ball and socket attached to the cable truss.

1591363676467.png

1591363676467.png
Thank you, BillSU. Please be sure to include all of our thanks when you next email him. I appreciate your efforts in this thread and I believe many others do, too.