the crane the crane | Page 259 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

sutomcat

Back again to the Cape Town video. There are flat gray metal pieces that the hard shell panels are placed in then caulked over.
This roof is glass. That would REALLY surprise me to see in Syracuse. I am not suggesting that it changes the installation method, but we will not see the shiny bluish green panels we see in this video in my opinion. I assume we will see some kind of "composite metal panel" which is a pre-insulated metal sandwich. I expect them to be between 4" and 8". That would not be a variable, they will all be the same, but the depth will depend on structure and more importantly design U value and R value. I would not be surprised to see it corrugated or ridged on the interior side for better span capability and less deformation. This would in theory impact acoustics by diffusing it better (worse for our desired noise factor).

This roof is glass. That would REALLY surprise me to see in Syracuse. I am not suggesting that it changes the installation method, but we will not see the shiny bluish green panels we see in this video in my opinion. I assume we will see some kind of "composite metal panel" which is a pre-insulated metal sandwich. I expect them to be between 4" and 8". That would not be a variable, they will all be the same, but the depth will depend on structure and more importantly design U value and R value. I would not be surprised to see it corrugated or ridged on the interior side for better span capability and less deformation. This would in theory impact acoustics by diffusing it better (worse for our desired noise factor).

The FWGX option from link 1 looks very very much like the exterior surface of the roof in the Geiger drawing. Looks like it comes in panels 2.5 or 3 inches deep. And it looks like it you can get it in panels up to 37 feel long. That kind of length would make them so much easier to install, and would explain why they haven’t been installing a grid of squares to hold up the exterior.

It also looks like Centria has done a bunch of sports arenas. The Atlanta Falcons new stadium exterior and the exterior of the Cardinals stadium in Phoenix in particular look similar to the Geiger drawing...

Last edited:
Screenshot (59).png

The material I'm seeing is definitely corrugated. I guess I'd be a little surprised to see something so unfinished as the Dome ceiling, though.

The material I'm seeing is definitely corrugated. I guess I'd be a little surprised to see something so unfinished as the Dome ceiling, though.
Yes, it does not look good. It is the kind of metal you see shacks made of in the poorest regions of Rio de Janiero. Could it be used as the under side of the roof? The drawing of the interior males it look like there will be fabric as the bottom layer of the roof, so having cheap looking ugly grey metal above that wouldn’t matter...

Last edited:
Yes, it does not look good. It is the kind of metal you see shacks made of in the poorest regions of Rio de Janiero. Could it be used as the under side of the roof? The drawing of the interior males it look like there will be fabric as the bottom layer of the roof, so having cheap looking ugly grey metal above that wouldn’t matter...
Wouldn’t it be great if we had a rendering so we all knew for sure? ;)

It’s looking like a good construction day. The red crane is already at work.

Quick update:

I believe they have installed a large number of pieces of the corrugated grey metal pieces on the roof. Most were put on the far west edge of the roof, behind the tension ring and therefore cannot be seen from the Lawrinson camera.

You can see at least three of them fairly clearly out in the open. They don't appear to have been attached lined up to the underlying steel. I am hoping they are there to support nicer metal panels like the ones NJCuse97 referred to several posts above. But they don't even look to be parallel to each other.

Here is a screen capture of where I am seeing the these things. Maybe they just put them up haphazardly to start and will align them properly later?

080620.jpg

The gap between the east and north builds of the hard shell steel looks to have been bridged completely. I think those builds are now fully connected.

Meanwhile, there is a 3 column gap between the west and south builds. That is surely going to be a priority soon. Given that the west crane has moved from the far north end of the western crane pad to the far south end a little while ago, I suspect it is going to go after this gap now. There is no steel to put up right now but I expect a big load will be dropped off shortly.

It looks like there are similar 2 or 3 column gaps between the north and east builds and the east and south builds. It looks like the crane in the southeast corner will focus on filling the east-south gap (based on where it is positioned).

It looks like the northwest and northeast cranes will focus on the north-east gap. So that gap is probably going to be the next to get bridged.

If the arcs aren't done, they are really close to being done.

One curious thing about the arcs: I saw one of them driven out of the dome on a flatbed late yesterday afternoon. It headed down Irving. Not sure what is going on there but I am thinking it could not be installed from inside the dome and it was determined it would be best to have one of the outside cranes do it instead.

Look for that arc to pop up sometime soon. It looked big. I think the biggest ones are the ones that bridge across the vertical supports diagonally. Let's see if it gets installed from the outside today.

Good find. Here is a brief one on their work on the Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta.

I think the look of the panels here is similar to the look of the panels on the Geiger drawing.

I hesitate to post this, but Centria also makes this.

Someone please tell me we are not going to it for the roof exterior. NJCuse97, please let me the U values don't work. Throw me a bone. Please.

Someone please tell me we are not going to it for the roof exterior. NJCuse97, please let me the U values don't work. Throw me a bone. Please.

These are their products that they seem to recommend for roofing. Cascade isn't one of them but there are some similar that are used because of wind load.

You couldn't use that on a roof, water would come through the seams where they connect. That cascade stuff is basically commercial aluminum siding which obviously can't be used on a roof.

They could use something similar like sheet metal roofing panels but not sure how that would hold up. There are no features to it like PTFE has, self cleaning, self bleaching, etc. It would look terrible in a few years.

Ha, I put corrugated metal on the ceiling of my kitchen pantry. As Joanna Gaines would say, it's "farmhouse chic" and compliments the shiplap :cool:

Last edited:
You couldn't use that on a roof, water would come through the seams where they connect. That cascade stuff is basically commercial aluminum siding which obviously can't be used on a roof.

They could use something similar like sheet metal roofing panels but not sure how that would hold up. There are no features to it like PTFE has, self cleaning, self bleaching, etc. It would look terrible in a few years.
I am not advocating it. I am just saying there is a lot of material like this, except maybe not as nice, in the same storage areas that have stored other materials used for the roof.

I am hoping if it is used on the roof, it will be hidden inside, where no one can see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom