the crane the crane | Page 260 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Quick update:

I believe they have installed a large number of pieces of the corrugated grey metal pieces on the roof. Most were put on the far west edge of the roof, behind the tension ring and therefore cannot be seen from the Lawrinson camera.

You can see at least three of them fairly clearly out in the open. They don't appear to have been attached lined up to the underlying steel. I am hoping they are there to support nicer metal panels like the ones ...

I think some triangular roof panels are visible from Sims Drive above the east end zone. But it's awfully hard to be sure from that distance.

Commercial modular buildings use paneling systems all the time. They don't leak.

What do we have here on Forestry, a flat bed carrying what looks like a part of a crane boom - a big one and something red that could also be part of a boom? Or not. ;)

I hesitate to post this, but Centria also makes this.

Someone please tell me we are not going to it for the roof exterior. NJCuse97, please let me the U values don't work. Throw me a bone. Please.
Since this system is not a composite panel, I do not see a value this would bring to our design. This is essentially siding. I think you're in the clear here.

Since this system is not a composite panel, I do not see a value this would bring to our design. This is essentially siding. I think you're in the clear here.
Cool. Do you think thin strips of what looks like grey corrugated metal might be used to hold the composite panels in place?

The more I see them put the grey strips in place, the more they look like they are meant to hold panels in place.

In fact, I think the part of the grey metal that sticks out might actually be the darker line that you can see separates the rows of panels in the Geiger drawings.

080620a.jpg

Last edited:

This makes me dream of a world where transparent ETFE panels were possible, like used in New Zealand.

That video is nicely done. It would be better if someone was explaining what we are seeing, where things stand, the next objectives, etc. But I am grateful for this.

Let’s talk about the metal they are putting on top of the steel. The video provides a view from below it, so we can see the underside of the grey pieces.

it doesn’t look like it is corrugated from below. It looks like it might be composite metal. Here is a screen shot I took:

4CD25216-F905-4B5F-B34B-C5FCA41628C8.jpeg

The pieces look like they are aligned pretty well.

Here is a screen capture from the live feed this morning:

8F1A22A9-86D8-432D-9C54-22292E4C6D87.jpeg

The pieces look too wide to be framing. I think this is the exterior surface. Some of the pieces have been put on haphazardly but it looks like they can be adjusted and tweaked as necessary so everything can get aligned later.

If it isn’t the exterior surface, could it be a layer of insulation?

Thoughts?

The gray pieces look to be stabilizing pieces. They might also be in place for roof attachments or footing for the crew. We thought the steel might be completed by the middle of this week, but it looks like at least another full week. The north and south ends haven’t even been touched this week.

That video is nicely done. It would be better if someone was explaining what we are seeing, where things stand, the next objectives, etc. But I am grateful for this.

Let’s talk about the metal they are putting on top of the steel. The video provides a view from below it, so we can see the underside of the grey pieces.

it doesn’t look like it is corrugated from below. It looks like it might be composite metal. Here is a screen shot I took:

View attachment 185431
The pieces look like they are aligned pretty well.

Here is a screen capture from the live feed this morning:

View attachment 185432

The pieces look too wide to be framing. I think this is the exterior surface. Some of the pieces have been put on haphazardly but it looks like they can be adjusted and tweaked as necessary so everything can get aligned later.

If it isn’t the exterior surface, could it be a layer of insulation?

Thoughts?
Probably not insulation. If this is a paneling system the panel comes with it's own insulating foam core.

The gray pieces look to be stabilizing pieces. They might also be in place for roof attachments or footing for the crew. We thought the steel might be completed by the middle of this week, but it looks like at least another full week. The north and south ends haven’t even been touched this week.
Yeah, my initial thought is they are just catwalks for the crew to go from section to section more easily.

alphaorange said:
So you're saying the new roof is roughly 1/4" taller than the old one?

Precisely.

$118 Million dollars to raise the roof 1/4"...This is only possible if it was a government job paid for by tax payers :)

alphaorange said:
So you're saying the new roof is roughly 1/4" taller than the old one?

$118 Million dollars to raise the roof 1/4"...This is only possible if it was a government job paid for by tax payers :)
Let’s just ignore completely overhauling the entire roofing system and focus on one thing

Probably not insulation. If this is a paneling system the panel comes with it's own insulating foam core.
To my eye, it looks like the underside of the grey pieces might be white foam...