the crane the crane | Page 261 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I try to keep up with this thread but sometimes I am missing some news. Who is doing the AC work from a vendor standpoint?

Nice picture, taken from a plane. I believe Rik Beardsley took it, and DCCuse asked me to post it.

7DF96FFD-E0EB-42B0-B40A-120E1D4B2C6B.jpeg

3rd?
Hmmmm...
  • I've been to Jerry World which is probably the largest traditional video board (160'x72' on the main sides & 51'x29' on the ends)
  • I've also been to "The Benz" several times (Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta) which has the largest video scoreboard in the world (1075'x58' also by Daktronics)
Kind of hard to believe that The Dome would be the next largest...

The key is 4 sided
The Dome: 62'x20'x4 = 4,960 square feet
Jerry World = 25,998 square feet (also "4 sided")
The Benz = 62,350 square feet

The Daktronics quote, as given, just doesn't compute.

Carlson/Sala/Daktronics should give some more context...

Cool. Do you think thin strips of what looks like grey corrugated metal might be used to hold the composite panels in place?

The more I see them put the grey strips in place, the more they look like they are meant to hold panels in place.

In fact, I think the part of the grey metal that sticks out might actually be the darker line that you can see separates the rows of panels in the Geiger drawings.

View attachment 185402

I honestly can't say what they are, but they may be something like an expansion joint, or possibly something like a brick ledge or angle. I know that we are not doing brick, I don't want to get Michigan upset, but something similar, to carry the stacked load of panels,

The Dome: 62'x20'x4 = 4,960 square feet
Jerry World = 25,998 square feet (also "4 sided")
The Benz = 62,350 square feet

The Daktronics quote, as given, just doesn't compute.

Carlson/Sala/Daktronics should give some more context...

Daktronics probably wishes Pete Sala wouldn't speak for them on things like "quantitative measurements" or "superlatives."

Or, .."in CNY."
Or "On The Hill". ;)

Again, the statement "Sala noted Daktronics has told Syracuse the new four-sided video board will be the third-largest in the country.", as written, is inaccurate. Yeah, for journalism. :)

OK play by play - here we go again. It's past lunch time and the red crane op has what looks like a preassembled roof section? lifted and hanging over the Dome and there are three crew walking on the crown truss across from the LC crew up there to receive it. Also a flatbed rig with mysterious black parts has backed up Forestry and is parked there. The small crane on Forestry has now unloaded the black load and the flatbed has left.

Last edited:
That's a great pic. So the large Middle square part will be translucent while the outside part will be hard steel?
Pretty sure the PTFE section will be brilliant white. Sounds like the hard shell exterior is going to be composite metal. Color is unknown.

If you believe the Geiger drawing, it will be a light tan color. But that drawing has the PTFE section colored light brown. So who knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom