the crane the crane | Page 262 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

How about this: "on campus" ?
That might be it. Would've been clearer if so stated.

Dean Smith Center is 100'x20'*4 = 8,000 square feet.

For those not familiar with a lattice boom crawler crane and were not around many months ago her's the basic anatomy of the red crane:

Parts of a lattice boom crane.

I found it, in the Development In and Around Syracuse where the original dome talk used to reside. I wasn't mocked, that was harsh to say but I knew my source had solid info. This post from May 2019

I was having a few drinks with a friend that passed along some dome construction update info. He's in a position to know so these wouldn't be rumors...however take it for what it's worth as second hand info:

Air conditioning will be ready by the 1st football game, the scaffolding for this project should be going in soon if they haven't already started working on it.

They are laying a 6ft deep pad for the crane needed to construct the roof. Crane is coming from Houston, apparently takes 88 semi tractor trailers to get it here.

The electronics won't be getting replaced until next year, they'll need to redo the scaffolding they're putting in now for the air conditioning.

The red crane has hoisted another pre- assembled steel section, ( don't know what it is used for ), and is being attached to the inside of the crown truss at the top of the arrowhead just to the left of the LC view. Oops the section has now been lifted away and is hanging again from the hoist wire and the entire section is now being lowered to the yard. Up there for fit? Here we go again! Same parts different place. One of two flatbeds carrying what looks like a part of a lattice boom painted white has backed up to the small crane on Forestry. The small crane has lifted the latticed part off the flatbed and lowered it to the ground. I am not sure but this may be a tower to be used inside the dome when the roof is raised and not a part of a boom but this is the second one delivered this week.

Last edited:
Third largest in NCAA? I think I heard largest "Center hung" in the country, NCAA.

hmm, my source told me a while ago that air conditioning would be ready for this fall, I'm pretty sure I posted it here and got somewhat mocked for it. I'll see if I can dig up that original post
Who is doing the AC?

The air conditioning is moving really, really well,” Sala said. “At this point we are well over 70 to 80 percent where we wanted to be months from now. That project is going very well. We have enough of the air conditioning done that we will be able to air condition some spaces with the new system this fall. We weren’t planning at being at that point until May of 2021.”

What does ‘some spaces’ mean? Does that mean Club 44? Club 44 and the private boxes? The press box?

If the stands aren’t going to have AC, who really cares?

i assume the cranes parts arriving are an indication that another crane will be added, presumably to cover that trouble spot gap between the western and southern builds where there has been no progress for a week or so.

Last edited:
What does ‘some spaces’ mean? Does that mean Club 44? Club 44 and the private boxes? The press box?

Yet another incomplete snippet that just raises more questions. <sigh>

Does this mean that the vents near the top of the Dome that were used to regulate the air pressure supporting the old roof will remain functional?

I would think that they would be used as air supply plenums for the AC. There has to be a reason they stayed in place. Would be a huge $ amount if they went and added new.

The air conditioning is moving really, really well,” Sala said. “At this point we are well over 70 to 80 percent where we wanted to be months from now. That project is going very well. We have enough of the air conditioning done that we will be able to air condition some spaces with the new system this fall. We weren’t planning at being at that point until May of 2021.”

i assume the cranes parts arriving are an indication that another crane will be added, presumably to cover that trouble spot gap between the western and southern builds where there has been no progress for a week or so.
Probably means that they haven't updated the Chiller yet to handle the load of air conditioning the entire Dome.

Great pic

This video gives another good look at the mysterious grey metal strips. I am 99% sure @NJCuse97’s suggestion these are temporary storage areas to pile up sections of the deck is correct. Especially after Pete confirmed the installation of the deck has not yet started.

Big day today. Excited to see work start!

Last edited:
So far, looks parts of the new crane are rolling in on South side. Work continues on the north and east sides on the framework.

That second angle of that video just above is awesome. I really look forward to seeing how much natural light this new roof brings in. After going to the dome for day games and having to walk out after the game is over and completely readjust my vision (might be the beers too) because of the lighting difference between the dome and outside. I’ve been to stadiums like Glendale where the natural light gets in so much and it literally energizes you as fan and makes a world of difference. Can’t wait to see how much it comes in from this new roof element as it looks like it will be a lot !

That second angle of that video just above is awesome. I really look forward to seeing how much natural light this new roof brings in. After going to the dome for day games and having to walk out after the game is over and completely readjust my vision (might be the beers too) because of the lighting difference between the dome and outside. I’ve been to stadiums like Glendale where the natural light gets in so much and it literally energizes you as fan and makes a world of difference. Can’t wait to see how much it comes in from this new roof element as it looks like it will be a lot !
I think you’re setting up for disappointment if you’re expecting more natural light. They nixed the original rendering and went with a PTFE material that will have similar translucency as the old roof.

This video gives another good look at the mysterious grey metal strips. I am 99% sure @NJCuse97’s suggestion these are temporary storage areas to pile up sections of the deck is correct. Especially after Pete confirmed the installation of the deck has not yet started.

Big day today. Excited to see work start!

Those metal strips look like steel scaffolding planks to me.

1596892947432.png

I think you’re setting up for disappointment if you’re expecting more natural light. They nixed the original rendering and went with a PTFE material that will have similar translucency as the old roof.
Just when I was having a good day. Jeez that’s so disappointing and didn’t know that. It makes suchhhh a difference when ive been to other football stadiums... more energy, more drinking, more eating, more spending. Simple math cmon SU! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom