the crane the crane | Page 263 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I think you’re setting up for disappointment if you’re expecting more natural light. They nixed the original rendering and went with a PTFE material that will have similar translucency as the old roof.
While we all know why they made that decision, I wonder if the dome had been for football and lax only would they have gone with a more translucent or even clear option? We’ll never know. Stupid basketball.;)

You can finally see the north gap closing. They just lowered a girder into the gap that you can see from the southwest camera through the truss. From the looks of what's probably left there, they may well finish closing that today.

Same with the east side, actually. Both sides may end up finishing today.

Now this doesn't look like steel planking to me...

1596897460489.png

Just when I was having a good day. Jeez that’s so disappointing and didn’t know that. It makes suchhhh a difference when ive been to other football stadiums... more energy, more drinking, more eating, more spending. Simple math cmon SU! Lol
On the flip side, a darker interior will allow more cool lighting displays, even with all of our afternoon games

Another crane being assembled?
They have been bringing the lattice boom section by section all week and today. It looks like this crane will be working right from where it is on Forestry.

They are also fitting / placing the first of the rigid panels, part of the roof covering. The sections extend out to and cover the steel support structures in place on all four sides. Unless the panels are covered with a protective coating that peels away after installation the roof color looks to be a light powder blue. not exactly in our color palette. The rendering in the link below shows it in a very light beige or grey.

The only other possibility would be that these are a different material just up there for fit to be sure the final panels align properly? The answer will be revealed soon I believe.

Also if you watch the crew they always stand on a place that is above a steel beam below the panel. That gives me the impression that these may not be the final rigid panels or if they are the rigid panels talked about by Geiger they are not meant for compressive weight and could buckle or depress if stepped on without support from a beam below. My guess. My bad! The light blue covering is just that. I went back to see where they started on todays tape. This is a rolled up material of some kind onto the steel frame. I was wondering how they got the panels up. They didn't. They are rolling up whatever material it is and I guess seeing 1. how it will fit 2. how it looks. 3. Making a pattern for the real rigid panels. They rolled this material up from the walkway. That's why they are walking above the steel beams due to the material not being that strong.

Last edited:
While we all know why they made that decision, I wonder if the dome had been for football and lax only would they have gone with a more translucent or even clear option? We’ll never know. Stupid basketball.;)

Although ETFE on the higher portions of the roof would've certainly been problematic relative to undesired sunlight/shadows upon the hoops court, there were other options to allow more natural light in and not an all or nothing proposal. If you look at an almost identical facility in BC Place (Vancouver prior to their major reno) they added a layer of additional steel framing to incorporate an entire section of ETFE to run around the entire perimeter/onto the existing walls. From that point, they then went vertical with riser columns, structural steel, cables, etc. to build/hold the new roof. Just as in BC's case, this would've allowed for natural light to enter the building without shining down directly onto the court, but more in the concourses and upper stands area.

SU may have looked at doing something similar as Sala was quoted early on saying they were looking at facade options, etc. However, most likely the extra cost associated in doing something like that (if SU was seriously looking at that option) was the transparent deterrent vs. any alleged sunlight/shadows on the court. First, SU doesn't start playing actual hoop games until the 2nd week of November and home games are finished the first week of March. Additionally, the angle of the sun (when it's actually out during fall & winter month's in Syracuse ;)) is quite low in the sky, not to mention the sun setting so early then, between 4:30 and 5-ish, so how much of a true factor would it have really been? Furthermore, there's only a few games that SU even plays at home in the afternoons to begin with.

Last edited:
Although ETFE on the higher portions of the roof would've certainly been problematic relative to undesired sunlight/shadows upon the hoops court, there were other options to allow more natural light in and not an all or nothing proposal. If you look at an almost identical facility in BC Place (Vancouver prior to their major reno) they added a layer of additional steel framing to incorporate an entire section of ETFE to run around the entire perimeter/onto the existing walls. From that point, they then went vertical with riser columns, structural steel, cables, etc. to build/hold the new roof. Just as in BC's case, this would've allowed for natural light to enter the building without shining down directly onto the court, but more in the concourses and upper stands area.

SU may have looked at doing something similar as Sala was quoted early on saying they were looking at facade options, etc. However, most likely the extra cost associated in doing something like that (if SU was seriously looking at that option) was the transparent deterrent vs. any alleged sunlight/shadows on the court. First, SU doesn't start playing actual hoop games until the 2nd week of November and home games are finished the first week of March. Additionally, the angle of the sun (when it's actually out during fall & winter month's in Syracuse ;)) is quite low in the sky, not to mention the sun setting so early then, between 4:30 and 5-ish, so how much of a true factor would it have really been? Furthermore, there's only a few games that SU even plays at home in the afternoons to begin with.
There are a lot of additional things that could be done but the reality is just getting a new roof, with lighting, sound and new scoreboards, all in a time frame where the facility could only be dedicated from March to mid-September, was very aggressive. There were severe limitations with time, and I am sure with money.

They bit off as much as they could chew. There will be other summers to do more with the facility. Getting a fixed roof on the facility opens up a lot of other options. It was the logical first step.

I think expecting them to more than they have (heck, AC is apparently mostly done now) is very naive. They have done very well with the constraints at hand.

There are a lot of additional things that could be done but the reality is just getting a new roof, with lighting, sound and new scoreboards, all in a time frame where the facility could only be dedicated from March to mid-September, was very aggressive. There were severe limitations with time, and I am sure with money.

They bit off as much as they could chew. There will be other summers to do more with the facility. Getting a fixed roof on the facility opens up a lot of other options. It was the logical first step.

I think expecting them to more than they have (heck, AC is apparently mostly done now) is very naive. They have done very well with the constraints at hand.

SU is the owner of their specific time frame. Their voluntary choice of being "very aggressive" here along with the severe time limitations is based largely upon their own rigidity in the matter and the decisions they ultimately decided upon in how they deemed best to proceed.

I realize there will be other summers to do more with the facility, and I also understand the need in why there will be project phases, with available capital being probably the most significant factor.

Expecting them to do more in this particular phase isn't on point of what I was saying, but more or less your own straw man argument. Though, perhaps I am "very naive" as your complement suggests. As I just don't see how it's reasonably feasible (in the summers ahead) to add an extra concrete block or two (relevant layer of ETFE as particularly referenced) to the basement walls to get that much more desirable ceiling height (relevant natural light in) once you've already built the structure.

I think they will have plenty of time to complete Phase 1.
i hope not, seems some presidents are getting cold feet though playing right now at power 5 level makes sense as long as testing is done in uniform. to me playing in the spring an entire season is followed by a normal fall 21 season is a big ask and not to mention the amount of players opting out in spring will be way higher.

SU is the owner of their specific time frame. Their voluntary choice of being "very aggressive" here along with the severe time limitations is based largely upon their own rigidity in the matter and the decisions they ultimately decided upon in how they deemed best to proceed.
The timeline for phase 1 was determined by the requirements of the two tenants of the dome who make money: men’s basketball and football. SU rightly determined moving either sport For a season made no sense. There are no equivalent facilities for these sports reasonably close to SU. This should be obvious to anyone familiar with these sports
I realize there will be other summers to do more with the facility, and I also understand the need in why there will be project phases, with available capital being probably the most significant factor.

Expecting them to do more in this particular phase isn't on point of what I was saying, but more or less your own straw man argument. Though, perhaps I am "very naive" as your complement suggests. As I just don't see how it's reasonably feasible (in the summers ahead) to add an extra concrete block or two (relevant layer of ETFE as particularly referenced) to the basement walls to get that much more desirable ceiling height (relevant natural light in) once you've already built the structure.
You complained about SU not opening the walls up using ETFE as part of phase 1. As you saying you did not now?

Your comments about concrete blocks and basement walls make no sense.

We are talking about precast concrete walls here.

There is no basement in the dome, I know of no concrete blocks on the western wall and for the record, the precast concrete walls provide little or no support for the roof and it is immaterial if they are changed before or after the roof is replaced. The columns are what supports the roof.

For the record, I support opening up part of the western wall using ETFE. But again, it is something that makes no sense to do as part of phase 1.

I think you’re setting up for disappointment if you’re expecting more natural light. They nixed the original rendering and went with a PTFE material that will have similar translucency as the old roof.

Even if they did use the transparent material, I think it'd be a wash because the steel portion of the roof will block so much more light than the old material did. So it'll be darker now.

The timeline for phase 1 was determined by the requirements of the two tenants of the dome who make money: men’s basketball and football. SU rightly determined moving either sport For a season made no sense. There are no equivalent facilities for these sports reasonably close to SU. This should be obvious to anyone familiar with these sports

You complained about SU not opening the walls up using ETFE as part of phase 1. As you saying you did not now?

Your comments about concrete blocks and basement walls make no sense.

We are talking about precast concrete walls here.

There is no basement in the dome, I know of no concrete blocks on the western wall and for the record, the precast concrete walls provide little or no support for the roof and it is immaterial if they are changed before or after the roof is replaced. The columns are what supports the roof.

For the record, I support opening up part of the western wall using ETFE. But again, it is something that makes no sense to do as part of phase 1.

The landlord and tenants are one in the same here, therefore, SU is its own comprehensive keeper. So again, Syracuse University voluntarily chose their own path, constraints, etc. which they placed upon themselves in what they deemed best to proceed. This really is indisputable.

That's fine if you wish to view my original comment as "complaining" vs. simply pointing another viable option if SU was seriously/legitimately considering such a thing at the time.

I'm aware the Dome's walls are pre-cast concrete and, that it doesn't have a basement, though the later hasn't any relevance to the point I was attempting to make. My comment and broader point regarding adding an additional concrete block or two in sustaining a much more desirable basement ceiling height was just a comparison in relative scope vs. attempting doing something of its kind, or similar, etc. after the fact. Which, would be considerably more cumbersome and complex, if not simply impractical and/or economically infeasible.

Opening part of the western wall (or when they eventually expand/connect to the new Arch Center) is not on par with my original reply/remark relative to letting natural light in throughout the building (all around the top of the walls) as was done at BC Place, basically identical structures in their original states.

The landlord and tenants are one in the same here, therefore, SU is its own comprehensive keeper. So again, Syracuse University voluntarily chose their own path, constraints, etc. which they placed upon themselves in what they deemed best to proceed. This really is indisputable.

That's fine if you wish to view my original comment as "complaining" vs. simply pointing another viable option if SU was seriously/legitimately considering such a thing at the time.

I'm aware the Dome's walls are pre-cast concrete and, that it doesn't have a basement, though the later hasn't any relevance to the point I was attempting to make. My comment and broader point regarding adding an additional concrete block or two in sustaining a much more desirable basement ceiling height was just a comparison in relative scope vs. attempting doing something of its kind, or similar, etc. after the fact. Which, would be considerably more cumbersome and complex, if not simply impractical and/or economically infeasible.

Opening part of the western wall (or when they eventually expand/connect to the new Arch Center) is not on par with my original reply/remark relative to letting natural light in throughout the building (all around the top of the walls) as was done at BC Place, basically identical structures in their original states.
Did you know there was a significant cost overrun in the BC Place job?

Even if they did use the transparent material, I think it'd be a wash because the steel portion of the roof will block so much more light than the old material did. So it'll be darker now.
Which begs the question- why even have the hard shell? What’s the benefit?

Did you know there was a significant cost overrun in the BC Place job?

Yes. However, those costs overruns I believe, or the bulk of them, were more related to the retractable roof and those particulars, etc. vs. the specific option I’m mentioning. I did state originally that even that additional cost may likely have been the most significant factor in not doing that (if indeed SU was even seriously considering such a thing) vs. shadows, etc. on the hoops court.

1: 3X LIFE
2: Less maintenance
3: More cost efficient
4: Allows new/increased events= additional revenue.
I believe the hard shell part of the roof will also be significantly better retaining heat in the winter, and retaining cooled AC air in the summer. The hard shell will also significantly improve acoustics.

Last edited:
Quick update:

I was golfing most of the time the blue/grey thing was installed yesterday. There is apparently some question regarding what it is. I think it is the composite metal and this is the exterior surface of the new roof.

I thought I saw it getting built plank by plank, and saw workers carrying planks up the rather steep slope of the new roof, then install them. But I didn’t take a lot of time to review things and I did not have a high res monitor to view the tape. So I could be wrong. There are reports there is a fabric involved. Maybe there is and it is being used to protect the surface of the roof. Or maybe they are using a fabric backing, then putting the composite metal over it. Not sure.

For now. I think the first section of the hard shell is done. If you divide the hard shell into sections by column and then by the beams that run parallel (or close to parallel) to the wall, there are 23 sections for each wall, or 96 sections in all. So we are, or might be, 1/96th done with the hard shell exterior surface. It took a long time to get this one done. Pretty much all day. I assume there will be a learning curve. This was one of the biggest sections as well. But even if you cut the time required by 2/3, we would be looking at more than 30 work days to get the hard shell section of the roof in place. Hopefully the speed of installing this will really step up in the next few days.

And hopefully that crane they are building on Forestry will get finished today and start filing in the gap between the western and southern builds. Looks like a perfect day for construction. Perfect temps in the 70-75 range and low wind.