the crane the crane | Page 265 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Why do we need more natural light when most games are in the evening? Seems unnecessary. I think less light would allow for cooler effects and better lighting.

I think folks were hoping for more natural light for football games and lax than hoops. The Dome, for many, with all of its concrete, can be a bit dungeon-esque. I guess it is why so many of these new enclosed football venues are bringing in a bunch of natural light, more desirable. These new NFL stadiums are still spending a bunch of coin too on LED lighting shows/packages. So, it must not be that detrimental to showcase these effects.

Last edited:
Thanks for reviewing the cam and posting about the panels. I noticed them and went back a bit but quickly gave up trying to find the moment when they were applied. It makes sense that they are underlayment (sheathing) since anything that thin would be a condensation magnet with 75 degrees on one side and 25 on the other. Wonder what color the final exterior layer will be (probably white).
I did a screen capture of when workers were walking a piece of this mysterious substance up, about to install it.

7CDD0C88-E642-455E-9DE3-21EADEFD8C74.jpeg

The synthetic underlayment you reference above is what roofers use today in lieu of old roofing felt, under shingles and metal roofing. It is NO WAY what they are using in this job. Felt has virtually all but disappeared from the market. It is a woven product usually, most easily compared to a traditional house wrap, or an old agway feed bag. It is basically in layman’s terms, strong ass felt paper.
When they speak of walkability, in roofing terms, they mean slippage on a slope, or lack thereof.
As long as I’ve been following along correctly, you are wondering if the “panels” that were put up in the last few days that are spanning the girders allowing them to walk? Then it’s definitely not synthetic underlayment. I sell it everyday to roofers. If it was that, we’d have a few casualties.
A16F6287-61F4-4FC2-A153-D3A0103DC0A1.jpeg

Casual observer of this whole process here. I'm worried about the color of those hard panels...I hope I'm wrong when its all done but I'm not sure how great it will look with that greyish blue color.
It appears to be Haint blue, which keeps away evil spirits as well as prevents wasps from building nests on the surface. My porch ceiling is the same color. It's quite peaceful and soothing.

It takes a lot of patience to find that short few seconds when this grey/blue surface is extended. I have gone through the video from Lawrinson a bunch of times. When they add on to it, I see is a couple of workers lifting a long, thin panel (it takes a couple). I don’t think they are that heavy but the panels are definitely not super rigid.

When the light is right, you can see the metal frame of hard shell through this layer. It is clearly not made of metal.

Once this layer is installed, the workers can and definitely do walk on it. It is rigid enough to support their weight.

So I think based on the excellent link CuseLegacy supplied, this is what we are seeing here:

Non-Bitumen Synthetic

Different types of synthetic underlayment have been around since the early 2000s and they have become arguably the most commonly used metal roof underlayment today. Most synthetics are woven or spun from either polyethylene or polypropylene. While the ingredients are similar, the manufacturing process and thickness of each underlayment type can be fine-tuned to produce different properties, such as exposure time and walkability.

“Synthetics are lighter, easier to apply and often provide greater levels of skid resistance,” Ray says. “Many of the roofers I have spoken with will choose an underlayment chiefly due to its ability to reduce slippage. They are resistant to fungal growth, don’t absorb moisture, are highly resistant to UV penetration and can stay exposed for greater periods of time, sometimes up to six months. In most instances, the synthetic material is the go-to for most slopes and, depending on the application, can be used in conjunction with the rubberized asphalt product.”

Note that paragraph that talks about walkability. I agree with CL. This is roof underlayment, which before today, I didn’t even know was a thing.

We should probably all relax and wait for the metal composite panels to arrive. Then we can panic.

Good to see them do 2 more today. Not good that there is at least one more layer.

I will also add that if NJCuse97 is right and the exterior surface is metal composite panels, the panels have insulation built into them. I believe they are meant to be one stop shopping when putting up a roof. They have the hard exterior surface, they have insulation and something else I don’t remember. The centria web site is unfortunately down now so I can’t link to it, but there is a good explanation of what metal composite panels are there that is worth looking at.
You missed your calling:)

It takes a lot of patience to find that short few seconds when this grey/blue surface is extended. I have gone through the video from Lawrinson a bunch of times. When they add on to it, I see is a couple of workers lifting a long, thin panel (it takes a couple). I don’t think they are that heavy but the panels are definitely not super rigid.

When the light is right, you can see the metal frame of hard shell through this layer. It is clearly not made of metal.

Once this layer is installed, the workers can and definitely do walk on it. It is rigid enough to support their weight.

So I think based on the excellent link CuseLegacy supplied, this is what we are seeing here:

Non-Bitumen Synthetic

Different types of synthetic underlayment have been around since the early 2000s and they have become arguably the most commonly used metal roof underlayment today. Most synthetics are woven or spun from either polyethylene or polypropylene. While the ingredients are similar, the manufacturing process and thickness of each underlayment type can be fine-tuned to produce different properties, such as exposure time and walkability.

“Synthetics are lighter, easier to apply and often provide greater levels of skid resistance,” Ray says. “Many of the roofers I have spoken with will choose an underlayment chiefly due to its ability to reduce slippage. They are resistant to fungal growth, don’t absorb moisture, are highly resistant to UV penetration and can stay exposed for greater periods of time, sometimes up to six months. In most instances, the synthetic material is the go-to for most slopes and, depending on the application, can be used in conjunction with the rubberized asphalt product.”

Note that paragraph that talks about walkability. I agree with CL. This is roof underlayment, which before today, I didn’t even know was a thing.

We should probably all relax and wait for the metal composite panels to arrive. Then we can panic.

Good to see them do 2 more today. Not good that there is at least one more layer.

I will also add that if NJCuse97 is right and the exterior surface is metal composite panels, the panels have insulation built into them. I believe they are meant to be one stop shopping when putting up a roof. They have the hard exterior surface, they have insulation and something else I don’t remember. The centria web site is unfortunately down now so I can’t link to it, but there is a good explanation of what metal composite panels are there that is worth looking at.
Not doubling down or anything, but metal panel and composite systems typically come wrapped in a protective blue plastic cling to protect from scratching during shipping and installation. Scratched paint is as good as garbage as the paint protects from rust or corrosion. No matter the material, we may not immediately see the color.

Not doubling down or anything, but metal panel and composite systems typically come wrapped in a protective blue plastic cling to protect from scratching during shipping and installation. Scratched paint is as good as garbage as the paint protects from rust or corrosion. No matter the material, we may not immediately see the color.
Thank you. We are just a bunch of commercial construction novices passing away the hours with construction speculation in the time of the Covid. ;)

The synthetic underlayment you reference above is what roofers use today in lieu of old roofing felt, under shingles and metal roofing. It is NO WAY what they are using in this job. Felt has virtually all but disappeared from the market. It is a woven product usually, most easily compared to a traditional house wrap, or an old agway feed bag. It is basically in layman’s terms, strong ass felt paper.
When they speak of walkability, in roofing terms, they mean slippage on a slope, or lack thereof.
As long as I’ve been following along correctly, you are wondering if the “panels” that were put up in the last few days that are spanning the girders allowing them to walk? Then it’s definitely not synthetic underlayment. I sell it everyday to roofers. If it was that, we’d have a few casualties.
View attachment 185609
Okay, thanks for that expert info DD.

What is this stuff then? I believe I can see it bend and flex as the workers carry it up the slope of the roof to install it, and I believe whatever this material is, it is possible at times to see the metal framework behind it (I think actually the imprint the framework makes on the material).

I assume the exterior surface of the building will be rigid.

Doesn’t seem like much is happening today. The new crane is still not up and roof supplies seem to be missing.

If Dewitt residents find 400 square foot blue tainted sheets of plastic in their yards we have a winner

Okay, thanks for that expert info DD.

What is this stuff then? I believe I can see it bend and flex as the workers carry it up the slope of the roof to install it, and I believe whatever this material is, it is possible at times to see the metal framework behind it (I think actually the imprint the framework makes on the material).

I assume the exterior surface of the building will be rigid.

This roof has the blue looking panels that then turn white. Peeled off protective wrap? Panels installed on top? Hard to tell.

This roof has the blue looking panels that then turn white. Peeled off protective wrap? Panels installed on top? Hard to tell.
I’m betting panels on top. There are piles of white things that disappear as the roof goes from blue/gray to white.

Whatever the stuff is, it is rigid enough for people to walk on it.

View attachment 185645

Well now I know where those "links of rings" were being installed. Now for what is another question.
No idea. Maybe those are the power and communication links for the center hung scoreboard? The line seems to terminate right about in the middle of the roof.

It has become evident that the PTFE section of the roof will not be a diamond shape. The hard shell portion of the roof bends quite a bit as it traverses from one wall to another.

That one drawing of the interior, where the border between the PTFE and hard shell sections of the roof looks kind of crazy, like it was designed by Salvador Dalí, really is going to look kind of crazy.

The new crane just sat down all day. No action. Maybe it still needs a few parts?

Looks like there is still work to done closing gaps on the hard shell on the eastern side of the stadium.

Kind of a disappointing day today. Hope tomorrow will be better.

[/QUOTE] This is part of a post I made on Saturday while watching them install the four panels:

Also if you watch the crew they always stand on a place that is above a steel beam below the panel. That gives me the impression that these may not be the final rigid panels or if they are the rigid panels talked about by Geiger they are not meant for compressive weight and could buckle or depress if stepped on without support from a beam below. My guess.
The light blue covering is just that. I went back to see where they started on todays tape. This is a rolled up material of some kind onto the steel frame. I was wondering how they got the panels up. They didn't. They are rolling up whatever material it is and I guess seeing 1. how it will fit 2. how it looks. 3. Making a pattern for the real rigid panels? They rolled this material up from the walkway. That's why they are walking above the steel beams due to the material not being that strong. Seems to be an underlayment for the metal rigid panels to come. I have reached out again to Geiger to see if they will be of assistance to us here.

Only the south side has to finish the steel section of the roof. The other three sides are done.
It sure looks like that with the connection between the north and east builds. It looks finished and the crane in that corner has not moved this morning.

I think there might be a bit of work left to do between the north and east builds though. I can see the northeast crane doing stuff. It has been busy so far. Though the glare is so severe I can't confirm it is putting steel up. If it is not done, it is really close.

The new crane is also now up and about. I will call it Crane 5 for now to make it easier to talk about it.

I think it has some steel to lift sitting on a flatbed on Forestry. It looks like it took some work to get the base of the crane in place, as it is sitting near the middle of the Dome, where the hill is quite steep.

They might have to use flatbeds as storage for Crane 5...not sure it would be okay to place steel on the road itself. We should see soon.

I don't know what the scoop is with the grey-blue surface being installed. It looks like they have multiple layers of a tarp-like sheet stacked at the bottom of the section they are working on and pull up layer after layer, with each layer going further from the stack where they started.

If it was just a tarp though, it would slide down and slide towards the middle. Something is giving it stability. Something makes it stable enough they can immediately walk on it as they extend the covering.

Maybe there is a sheet attached to each layer, so what they are really doing to lining up the sheets against each other, with the tarp like cover helping to stabilize things?

Not sure but they can do a big area in a matter of minutes. Then it appears that they spend a lot of time smoothing out the tarp-like covering, setting along the seams, getting it smooth and positioned just right.

It sure looks like that with the connection between the north and east builds. It looks finished and the crane in that corner has not moved this morning.

I think there might be a bit of work left to do between the north and east builds though. I can see the northeast crane doing stuff. It has been busy so far. Though the glare is so severe I can't confirm it is putting steel up. If it is not done, it is really close.

The new crane is also now up and about. I will call it Crane 5 for now to make it easier to talk about it.

I think it has some steel to lift sitting on a flatbed on Forestry. It looks like it took some work to get the base of the crane in place, as it is sitting near the middle of the Dome, where the hill is quite steep.

They might have to use flatbeds as storage for Crane 5...not sure it would be okay to place steel on the road itself. We should see soon.

I don't know what the scoop is with the grey-blue surface being installed. It looks like they have multiple layers of a tarp-like sheet stacked at the bottom of the section they are working on and pull up layer after layer, with each layer going further from the stack where they started.

If it was just a tarp though, it would slide down and slide towards the middle. Something is giving it stability. Something makes it stable enough they can immediately walk on it as they extend the covering.

Maybe there is a sheet attached to each layer, so what they are really doing to lining up the sheets against each other, with the tarp like cover helping to stabilize things?

Not sure but they can do a big area in a matter of minutes. Then it appears that they spend a lot of time smoothing out the tarp-like covering, setting along the seams, getting it smooth and positioned just right.
Just a wild guess but it looks like an under layment similar to what roofers use before the shingles are put in place. Or plywood under flooring.

Just a wild guess but it looks like an under layment similar to what roofers use before the shingles are put in place. Or plywood under flooring.
If it was that, they would not be able to span trusses with it and walk on it. Perhaps it something of trampoline type fabric that is uber strong. I'd like to see how much give there is when they step between the steel. These guys, although harnessed, are nuts.