the crane the crane | Page 322 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I would have thought by now there would have been one of the local channels doing some story/video on changes coming.. Promote it a bit

I want to blame the pandemic for the lack of hype around this, but then I remember that we are talking about SU.

"Sala and his crews are still working so that the stadium can be ready next Saturday for Syracuse’s first home game against Georgia Tech, but no one will be in the Dome this year because of the coronavirus. "

I thought the ban on fans was only through September. Has there been an extension? I keep holding out hope that there will be a limited number of fans allowed at some point.

"Sala and his crews are still working so that the stadium can be ready next Saturday for Syracuse’s first home game against Georgia Tech, but no one will be in the Dome this year because of the coronavirus. "

I thought the ban on fans was only through September. Has there been an extension? I keep holding out hope that there will be a limited number of fans allowed at some point.

At the present time, NYS will not allow any fans.

No fans at Yankees/Mets/Blue Jays games. No fans at Bills games.

It may change down the road, but right now we're in lockdown.

My question is for the ACC.. why do some teams get to have crowds/home games with fans and others not?
Doesnt seem fair for all. A reward for schools/states not trying to control things as well?

At the present time, NYS will not allow any fans.

No fans at Yankees/Mets/Blue Jays games. No fans at Bills games.

It may change down the road, but right now we're in lockdown.
Last I knew, NYS said no fans at college games but was going to review that decision before SU had its first home game.

I haven't heard an announcement regarding a review of the decision regarding SU and football.

Since it is Monday and there has been no word, I am not optimistic. It is getting really late to make a plan based on NYS guidance and to try and sell tickets.

Guessing SU is in the same place the Bills are. No fans allowed at least until the end of September.

I expect when SU is allowed to have fans, attendance will initially be limited to staff, player families and perhaps students.

Having separated pods of masked fans is less risky than bars being open. IMO it seems like it’s an optics thing from the state having empty stadiums

This is a serious reply to that tweet:

1600701547417.png

Yes, they plan on taking down that metal structure around the roof that is literally the only thing holding the roof up. Why are people so ridiculously, mind-numbingly stupid?

Since SU sucks and GT sucks, the game won't be on TV. Is there any plans by the university to unveil the changes to the not-Carrier Dome?

Indeed. As this guy's tweet suggests. I'd really be curious what a poll of the Syracuse area, not to mention nationally would conclude relative strictly towards this structure's aesthetic appeal.

Regarding Dave's tweet:

1) That's not what unimaginative means. Credit where it's due, constructing a truss over an active building to hold up a new rigid roof was a very imaginative solution and it looks to have been executed very well.

2) The aesthetic thing is always subjective and probably isn't worth quibbling over. The project was necessarily done on the cheap. I really liked the look of the truss on its own but don't much care for the finished roof (the material reminds me of those 1970s Midwestern basketball arenas -- Crisler, Joyce, etc.; and the interior's going to be really dark), but it's not something I'd really care to make a stink about.

Indeed...as this guy's tweet suggests. I'd really be curious what a poll of the Syracuse area, not to mention nationally, overall sentiment would conclude relative strictly to the structure's aesthetic appeal...or lack thereof.

The people who complain the loudest are the people who contributed the least amount of money.

I was on campus last Friday and walked the perimeter of the dome on two sides. It is both imposing and impressive. I actually saw the next to last bag of turf pellets being transported into the dome.

All of that metal structure is a lot bigger in person than it looks on the webcams. I am very impressed, and I actually like the looks of the new structure. It looks pretty cool from a distance, also, coming in on 690, just past the fairgrounds.

yeah kind wondering where it is on this weekend.. I didnt find it any RSN in the guides yet so I assumed it was gonna be a streaming thing only
Fox Sports South has it.

I was on campus last Friday and walked the perimeter of the dome on two sides. It is both imposing and impressive. I actually saw the next to last bag of turf pellets being transported into the dome.

All of that metal structure is a lot bigger in person than it looks on the webcams. I am very impressed, and I actually like the looks of the new structure. It looks pretty cool from a distance, also, coming in on 690, just past the fairgrounds.
I'll wait to see it in person, until I pass judgment. The initial plans were just awesome...

I wonder if covering the roller coster with louvres, etc. (as initially discussed) could add to the appeal?

Regarding Dave's tweet:

1) That's not what unimaginative means. Credit where it's due, constructing a truss over an active building to hold up a new rigid roof was a very imaginative solution and it looks to have been executed very well.

2) The aesthetic thing is always subjective and probably isn't worth quibbling over. The project was necessarily done on the cheap. I really liked the look of the truss on its own but don't much care for the finished roof (the material reminds me of those 1970s Midwestern basketball arenas -- Crisler, Joyce, etc.; and the interior's going to be really dark), but it's not something I'd really care to make a stink about.

Agreed. If only someone considered making the middle part more transparent

rumor is bills are going to be allowed to have fans on october 15th thursday night game of ~10k so if that is the case id think we would be allowed the same at that point

Last I knew, NYS said no fans at college games but was going to review that decision before SU had its first home game.

I haven't heard an announcement regarding a review of the decision regarding SU and football.

Since it is Monday and there has been no word, I am not optimistic. It is getting really late to make a plan based on NYS guidance and to try and sell tickets.

Guessing SU is in the same place the Bills are. No fans allowed at least until the end of September.

I expect when SU is allowed to have fans, attendance will initially be limited to staff, player families and perhaps students.
only thing announced by the university is no fans this saturday

Regarding Dave's tweet:

I don't disagree at all with your number 1, as I think the engineering prowess of this project was quite impressive and have stated as much. Honestly, I wasn't really paying attention to his "unimaginative" remarks as much as his "aesthetically unappealing" as I replied to RandomGuy's sentiment.

As for 2, no doubt, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess in today's climate, $118 million primarily for a roof is considered "cheap" but I do find that to be still a lot of coin considering the entire cost of the dome's build was 26 million, albeit in 1980.

In my opinion, for a structure that is iconic to the area and one that (with this retrofit) is supposedly going to be around for another 40-50 years is quite unattractive, especially, when comparison to that first rendering that was leaked out from the Walter's Group. But again, it's just my opinion. It shouldn't be viewed as controversial (I'm not implying in anyway that you're doing that at all here) as some have actually relative to same with slighting type comments, or I'll wait for your large donation garb, etc.