the crane the crane | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

That's hard to fathom! What the heck is it? (as I look at my starter tool belt)
so how much load is being added to the walls to handle all these pieces on top?
If 100,000 pounds per piece is correct, then the entire ring structure (assuming 20 pieces??), not including the pipe supports, cables and the actual roof, would be like 1,000 tons. Seems unlikely to me.

A cubic foot of steel weight approx. 490 lbs. So, if that box girder is indeed steel, and not a lighter alloy, etc. of such, it would have to be about 204' long to weigh approx. 100,000 lbs. The box girder section at about 20' in length places it at about 10,000 lbs. Without knowing the section's actual dimensions, it's difficult to say for sure, but from the great pics Bees has been taking, :) I'd say they're a lot closer to 20' in length then 204', :) albeit the cube size of the girder box appears greater than 1'. Perhaps it's more like a 2' cube, which would place a 10K lb. section of box girder around 10' in length. That being the case, I'd guess each box girder weights about 10K, not 100K.

Last edited:
A cubic foot of steel weight approx. 490 lbs. So, if that box girder is indeed steel, and not a light alloy, etc. of such, it would have to be about 204' long to weigh approx. 100,000 lbs. The box girder section at about 20' in length places it at about 10,000 lbs. Without knowing the sections actual dimensions, it's difficult to say for sure, but from the great pics Bees has been taking, :) I'd say they're a lot closer to 20' in length then 204', :) so my guess would be each box girder weights about 10K, not 100K.
that does make sense, but I'm not going to shoot my messenger!

A cubic foot of steel weight approx. 490 lbs. So, if that box girder is indeed steel, and not a light alloy, etc. of such, it would have to be about 204' long to weigh approx. 100,000 lbs. The box girder section at about 20' in length places it at about 10,000 lbs. Without knowing the sections actual dimensions, it's difficult to say for sure, but from the great pics Bees has been taking, :) I'd say they're a lot closer to 20' in length then 204', :) so my guess would be each box girder weights about 10K, not 100K.
Also, is Walt being used to lift the box girders off the trucks? I have no idea...but if not, then 1) The max weight of 5 axle truck is 80,000 #'s and 2) There is no way those smaller cranes are lifting 50 ton's.

It's interesting.

A cubic foot of steel weight approx. 490 lbs. So, if that box girder is indeed steel, and not a lighter alloy, etc. of such, it would have to be about 204' long to weigh approx. 100,000 lbs. The box girder section at about 20' in length places it at about 10,000 lbs. Without knowing the sections actual dimensions, it's difficult to say for sure, but from the great pics Bees has been taking, :) I'd say they're a lot closer to 20' in length then 204', :) albeit the cube size of the girder box appears greater than 1', perhaps it's more like a 2' cube, which would place a 10K section of box girder around 10' in length. That being the case, I'd guess each box girder weights about 10K, not 100K.
1576593722257.png

A cubic foot of steel weight approx. 490 lbs. So, if that box girder is indeed steel, and not a lighter alloy, etc. of such, it would have to be about 204' long to weigh approx. 100,000 lbs. The box girder section at about 20' in length places it at about 10,000 lbs. Without knowing the sections actual dimensions, it's difficult to say for sure, but from the great pics Bees has been taking, :) I'd say they're a lot closer to 20' in length then 204', :) albeit the cube size of the girder box appears greater than 1', perhaps it's more like a 2' cube, which would place a 10K section of box girder around 10' in length. That being the case, I'd guess each box girder weights about 10K, not 100K.
those boxes seem more like more like 7-10 ft in size given that the tubes around 4-6 and 40ft ish long just judging by the people walking aorund them

another delivery...a truck from Montreal is parked parallel to Walt's yard ...just tuned in so didn't see what was on - I think steel columns but could be another box girder

that does make sense, but I'm not going to shoot my messenger!

So, I went back through this thread a bit to revisit some of the excellent pics that Bees has taken, and after viewing pic (Bees' post; #837) in particular, it's quite likely that your messenger indeed is speaking truth. Again, without knowing those box girder's true dimensions, it's difficult to assess, but those things are huge (at least in that pic when looking at it resting on the ground near the workers). From those pics, it looks like a more proper estimation would be considering steel's weight per cubic yard vs. per cubic foot. With general steel's weight at approx. 13,321 lbs/yd3 vs. the 490 lbs/ft3. So if that section (which looks greater than 1 yd/3ft in height) was a true cubic yard dimension...at 9' in length it would be approx. 40,000 lbs.

Last edited:
another truck at 2:23 with a steel column. We're loading up for some work tomorrow or this week. The smaller white crane will be hooking up and moving it into the yard soon if anyone's interested.

it just seems crazy that they could add this amount of weight without more needing to be done and then add the roof on top of that, if this roof going to weigh more or less than the fabric we have now?

an you just add millions of pounds to concrete and the footers this easily?

so a guess would be its 4 more box girders to complete the side? do they do that before work around the corners

it just seems crazy that they could add this amount of weight without more needing to be done and then add the roof on top of that, if this roof going to weigh more or less than the fabric we have now?

an you just add millions of pounds to concrete and the footers this easily?

You have to remember, the load/weight gets dispersed throughout the foundation, etc. Typically, concrete in foundations, etc. for commercial/special type projects uses a PSI rating of 5000 PSI. I imagine that was used in the Dome's original specs relative to the concrete foundation, etc.. Steel's lb per cubic inch is approx. .283 lbs.

Last edited:
I know, just surprised that the load on the walls can be changed that much, its a different stress direction now and much higher load

I really have to stop monitoring this thread/the cam during work. But I can’t.

Also, is Walt being used to lift the box girders off the trucks? I have no idea...but if not, then 1) The max weight of 5 axle truck is 80,000 #'s and 2) There is no way those smaller cranes are lifting 50 ton's.

It's interesting.
As far as I have seen, Walt lifts the box girders. The smaller white crane can and does handle offloading the spirals to storage.

As far as I have seen, Walt lifts the box girders. The smaller white crane can and does handle offloading the spirals to storage.
Watched two trailers of spiral steel columns get unloaded yesterday into Walt's yard - the smaller crane did all the work.

what was the truck fo stuff that showed up about 8 am today and then the small white box that was lifted up around 9 and set a the base of Walt?

has to be a nasty day out there to work in in this Temp

and now another load of tubes has shown up

Last edited:
what are they working on? the backstay on the northwest corner? I was unable to check progress yesterday and I don't "see" anything new today other than the new materials as noted above.

they off-loaded a ton of stuff today to the lower right of the screen and moved the big crane a good chunck must be prepping for the next major pieces