the crane the crane | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

F12E68B8-C75A-4E1D-981A-6600893E7ABE.jpeg

There’s also a couple others on the ground.

B1B1BB83-6C42-470B-AF58-4CE4C41544D7.jpeg

Number 6 going up on that side.

View attachment 174425
When they finish that one, they just need the diagonal spiral column missing on the left, and they will be caught up with the northwest corner.

There are, I think, 3 box girders that need to be installed to bridge the gap between the two sections up now. They have the stay in place located the middle of the north wall needed to secure these box girders. They also have stays in place to go in the opposite direction for both corners, and complete the set of 3 arrowheads that will be featured in each corner diagonal.

Which way will they go?

The spirals in the Irving Ave storage area, near Walt, all look pretty long. If they finish the arrowhead, they are going to need longer spirals than they have ever used before. If they go the other way, they will be shorter than anything they have installed to date.

Based on the spirals right now, I think they are going to complete the arrowhead hat trick first, at least in the northwest corner.

Hope they keep their hands warm...no tool dropping please.

After today's cold temps, that remaining forecast, relatively speaking for this time of year in Syracuse, is about as good as it gets. A lot of snow likely will melt on Sunday & Monday with sunny skies and temps in the 40's. Looking like the 'Cuse may not have a white Christmas this year if that forecast holds true.

I thought they hoped the steal supports would be in place by early January. They are not close to meeting that deadline. I can picture our first home game with no scoreboard, lights or sound system. We should have some kind of roof.

Walt and his buddy hopefully will be busy today, Saturday and Monday. Gotta work these good weather days hard. All I remember from my time in CNY...it is like a switch gets flipped after XMas and 6-8 weeks of hard winter comes. Sometimes you get a thaw and sometimes just 6 straight weeks of suck.

I thought they hoped the steal supports would be in place by early January. They are not close to meeting that deadline. I can picture our first home game with no scoreboard, lights or sound system. We should have some kind of roof.
They are probably behind IMHO but the month of February appears to be the slop in the schedule. Assuming an average winter...they should get it complete by March 1st.

The bigger issue might be the LED lights. Ephesus has been bought out by Signify (Phillips Lighting) from Eaton which is strange. I wonder if this could cause any issues?

I have been scratching my head trying to understand why the call these spiral columns. Now I understand.

Likely that the choice of spiral form/column provides for the increase in the bending/torsional moment, and ductility, allowing to compensate for the shear stress at the beam/box girder. The spiral cross-member format also reduces the deflection inherent upon the overall crown structure.

As long as the steel supports are done by March they're probably in great shape. Can't do anything with the current roof on there anyways, no need to panic.

i dont think there is any panic in the schedule.. there have been a bunch of pretty quiet days they would be using if they were behind

i dont think there is any panic in the schedule.. there have been a bunch of pretty quiet days they would be using if they were behind
For instance today, where it appeared nothing happened at all.

For instance today, where it appeared nothing happened at all.

It might have been quiet, but what I see is that they now have the lifting straps attached to a box girder and two spiral columns look to have the lifting clamps attached. They are ready to set up another section on the back corner of Walt.

Last edited:
As long as the steel supports are done by March they're probably in great shape. Can't do anything with the current roof on there anyways, no need to panic.
Not sure what you mean by that, the new roof is supposed to be completed before they remove the current roof, so essentially 90 percent will be done while current roof is in place.

I think they have the opportunity to move faster as they ride up the learning curve.

Not sure what you mean by that, the new roof is supposed to be completed before they remove the current roof, so essentially 90 percent will be done while current roof is in place.
They aren't doing any roof installation until Spring.

Working on Sunday: FYI... If you did not view through the Live Cam today there was a crew of 8-9 working until a bit after 3P.M. It seemed, except for the small white crane that was active, that things were being readied for tomorrow. The crew was all over Walt's yard - climbing ladders to check out the top of the two box girders and other items I may have missed. They were walking around the spiral steel stacked in the yard looking at everything. The crane moved some smaller crates around putting them back by Walt and close to the small construction trailer. Hopefully we will see some work tomorrow at the yard end. Perhaps the two girders will be going up after they place the columns. It would be nice to see some work done to the Dome above Walt's yard so we may see some work being accomplished through the Cam. As has been mentioned the weather is supposed to be good all week.

They aren't doing any roof installation until Spring.
I was specifically questioning the poster stating "cant do anything with current roof in place anyway", which last I heard was not the plan. I was not questioning the time frames, which unless weather becomes extremely difficult or materials do not arrive on time or there is some non forseen event(which would undoubtedly be something bad), should meet projected schedules.

Last edited: