the crane the crane | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Wow great pic, you can really get a feel for the enormity of that piece in this shot. In fact the guy in the cab is our boy and after I sent him your pics he said it weighs the heaviest yet of all the pieces at 155,000 tons!
How does one go about transporting a 155,000 ton anything? What bridges can support that kind of weight?

ny state limits on highways, not over 80000 is allowed

Single Axle Tandem Axle Tridem Axle Gross Weight Other

20,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
22,400 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
34,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
36,000 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
Per FBF
80,000 lbs.
800 lbs. per inch of tire width
11,200 lbs. per wheel

*State law does not explicitly State these limits. It does, however, require that no State weight limits may be applied in ways that prevent New York from receiving Federal funds (

ny state limits on highways, not over 80000 is allowed

Single Axle Tandem Axle Tridem Axle Gross Weight Other

20,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
22,400 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
34,000 lbs. on Interstate highways*
36,000 lbs. on non-Interstate highways
Per FBF
80,000 lbs.
800 lbs. per inch of tire width
11,200 lbs. per wheel

*State law does not explicitly State these limits. It does, however, require that no State weight limits may be applied in ways that prevent New York from receiving Federal funds (
Lots of extra axles I guess...

3254BFA9-BC90-4ED2-BFC0-B6C5CDDC696B.jpeg

Wow great pic, you can really get a feel for the enormity of that piece in this shot. In fact the guy in the cab is our boy and after I sent him your pics he said it weighs the heaviest yet of all the pieces at 155,000 tons!

It’s not 155,000 tons...

The largest dump truck in the world weighs 360 tons when empty.
C3979981-8AB3-413B-B263-78FCB104EEFD.jpeg

The sum of the tires alone on this this thing probably weigh more than the box girder.

How does one go about transporting a 155,000 ton anything? What bridges can support that kind of weight?
It’s not 155,000 tons...

The largest dump truck in the world weighs 360 tons when empty.
View attachment 175031

The sum of the tires alone on this this thing probably weigh more than the box girder.
Lbs! Fixed

Screenshot from 2020-01-08 08-08-10.png

It's looking like another day off for Walt & Co.. :(
While I do see people on site, I find it hard to believe that they'll be doing any actual construction work.

Last edited:
View attachment 175037

It's looking like another day off for Walt & Co.. :(
While I do see people on site, I find it hard to believe that they'll be doing any actual construction work.
I agree. We have a winter advisory in Onondaga County until 1 am Thursday. 20 mph winds and snow expected today.

For a while it looked like they were about to rig up something but now I dunno.

One of the columns is still in the air on the north side of the dome. Don't know if it will continue up or be set back down. Wind is definitely a problem right now.

I agree. We have a winter advisory in Onondaga County until 1 am Thursday. 20 mph winds and snow expected today.

And upper 50's to near 60 on Friday according to the weather.com app. And, it appears a stretch of pretty mild weather for days again afterwards. Can't recall a winter being so relatively mild for years. Really, from this construction project standpoint, they couldn't ask for any better weather conditions to date relative to Syracuse in winter.

For what's it worth cold and/or snow does not stop construction projects. The wind is the biggest factor for shutting down crane work.

What outfit is doing the work anyways?

For what's it worth cold and/or snow does not stop construction projects. The wind is the biggest factor for shutting down crane work.

Midwest Steel, from Detroit.

Yeah, for the most part. However, we are dealing with human beings, and you won't be able to convince me that when temps gets severely cold/sub-zero, along with other wintry elements, that the human factor/error, etc. doesn't increase the overall risk exposure encompassing the entire project.

Last edited:
The weather turned nasty real quick. The second piece was lowered back down to the ground.

Yeah, for the most part. However, we are dealing with human beings, and you won't be able to convince me that when temps gets severely cold/sub-zero, along with other wintry elements, that the human factor/error, etc. doesn't increase the overall risk exposure encompassing the entire project.

You should go visit winter construction sites then or just ask the construction people on this board. I watched an entire medical center go up last winter with full crews at 7am in below zero weather; -15 it doesn't matter. All outside work. There are no days off for weather unless your'e like laying down black top or dredging in fast flows. There are deadlines to meet and guys get paid by the hour. They don't work they don't get paid.

I've personally stood in shin deep water in single digit weather, in snow storms, fixing water main breaks at 3am. You dress for it. The greatest invention in my book are neoprene gloves.

Last edited:
You should go visit winter construction sites then or just ask the construction people on this board. I watched an entire medical center go up last winter with full crews at 7am in below zero weather; -15 it doesn't matter. All outside work. There are no days off for weather unless your'e like laying down black top or dredging in fast flows. Their are deadlines to meet and guys get paid by the hour. They don't work they don't get paid.

I've personally stood in shin deep water in single digit weather, in snow storms, fixing water main breaks at 3am. You dress for it. The greatest invention in my book are neoprene gloves.

I have, on the risk management, insurance industry. I didn't say it would stop construction, etc., but weather does have a contributing impact on the human element side of things, risk exposure, etc. regardless of layers, time lines, etc.

I have, on the risk management, insurance industry. I didn't say it would stop construction, etc., but weather does have a contributing impact on the human element side of things, risk exposure, etc. regardless of layers, time lines, etc.

obviously weather can impact the human element (sometimes it's downright miserable) and maybe it impacts your policies but the show goes on in the field. I don't think OSHA guidelines on weather even kick in until way below zero, like -20 and below.

obviously weather can impact the human element (sometimes it's downright miserable) and maybe it impacts your policies but the show goes on in the field. I don't think OSHA guidelines on weather even kick in until way below zero, like -20 and below.
How about if you can't even see the stadium that you're supposedly working on? ;)

Screenshot from 2020-01-08 13-19-13.png